Motor swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick67ca

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have an 85 with a bad 2nd gear. I have a line on a 2000 motor with a good trans at a decent price. Will this swap work? Thanks.

It'll bolt right in, but electrically there are some differences. Probably easiest to swap the 85 flywheel and ignition pick ups to the new engine. I'm sure others will chime in if there is anything I'm missing. Grab the newer voltage regulator if you can. It'll bolt right in. You'll have to run the black extra wire from regulator to ground, on the battery or frame.

You will need a cross brace from a 96 up for the oil filter clearance and the ignition pickups are different but you should be able to swap them over from the 85.

As mentioned:
1996-2007 Crossbrace
1985 Flywheel
1985 Pickup Coil

So, that's it.

You could also get a 1990+ wire harness and not have to do the flywheel/ignition pick-up coils swap, and keep the 1990+ ECU which is supposed to be better than the 1985-89 system. The wire harness would have to include the later model ECU, which can be pricey, though Sean Morley I think is selling the Ignitech ignition still, or you can use the appropriate Dyna 3000 ignition for the 1990+ model. The Dynas come in a dipswitch version (early model for the 1990+ VMax, for setting the rev-limiter), and a newer version which has more choices for adjustability.

You could also get a 1990+ wire harness and not have to do the flywheel/ignition pick-up coils swap, and keep the 1990+ ECU which is supposed to be better than the 1985-89 system. The wire harness would have to include the later model ECU, which can be pricey, though Sean Morley I think is selling the Ignitech ignition still, or you can use the appropriate Dyna 3000 ignition for the 1990+ model. The Dynas come in a dipswitch version (early model for the 1990+ VMax, for setting the rev-limiter), and a newer version which has more choices for adjustability.

It would be nice to have all the updated electrics. I think there may be some differences in the gauge pod above the faux tank that will prevent 85-89 working with 90-07 and vise versa.

Could be wrong about that but for some reason I'm remembering there being a difference.

I think there may be some differences in the gauge pod above the faux tank that will prevent 85-89 working with 90-07 and vise versa.

You are correct - also the starter circuit and turn signal relay are combined on yours and separate on the later models; no separate side stand relay on later models; starter relay and associated wiring also differs; diode block wiring differs.
Apart from that.....

I could set you up with all the parts you'd need but it's not that big a deal. The weakest part of the early electrical is the CDI and sidestand relay. The weakest part of the later model is the pickup coil.

Latest posts

Back