Cold start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1998

Reaction score
Hi y’all I have a 1998 vmax with 17k miles on it and a fresh battery as well as cop mod with denso coils and hopefully properly synced carbs that I synced yesterday with my Morgan carbtune. Anyways I live in arizona so it’s not cold at all here but I was wondering how it is normal for a vmax to start when the motor is cold with the choke fully on? Because every time I’ve started the bike if I choke it fully and try to start it it never starts unless I give it a little gas? Was wondering if that was normal for most of you and if not how could I fix that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's a little on the lean side. Maybe try a half turn on the air mix screws.

Sounds like it's a little on the lean side. Maybe try a half turn on the air mix screws.

Dumb question but are the a/f mix screws different than the sync screws. I’m new to carbs and don’t know where the a/f screws are.

The A/F screws are in a 6.35 mm tunnel at the bottom of the carbs. The sync screws are not enclosed. If the A/F screws have never been touched, there will be brass plugs over the hole that has to be removed.

The A/F screws are in a 6.35 mm tunnel at the bottom of the carbs. The sync screws are not enclosed. If the A/F screws have never been touched, there will be brass plugs over the hole that has to be removed.

I found em. Just took a ride and didn’t touch them before I rode because I don’t have a skinny enough screwdriver lol. I kinda noticed that the idle goes up a little bit once the bikes warmed up. Like once I choke it and start it when it’s cold then take off the choke I set the idle on that little needle just below the 1k mark. I’m assuming that’s what the mark is for. And as I’m riding the idle goes up to around 1k maybe a little more and then sometimes goes back down lower again. But for the most part stays high. Bike also doesn’t feel like it’s getting all the power it should have. It’s my first vmax so I don’t have another one to compare it to

Latest posts

Back