Float drain screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
The screw is in the same location for all four carbs.

Mark

Attachments

• float drain screw.jpg
    float drain screw.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 770
Shawn, those aren't my carbs. I got the pic from Doug Daltons website. I still have the covers you gave me. :)

Mark

Yeah, that garage pick was from when I first got my Mark's exhaust. That was a couple of months before Thunder '06. Don't worry, I don't throw shit away I get from friends. :)

Mark

speaking of bowl drain screws...does anyone just drain the gas out of the carb for winter storage...on other bikes id shut the petcox and let the carb run out of gas

Leave them full. Otherwise, o-rings gaskets dry out and will cause problems in the spring.

Mark

just looked in manual :ummm:..said long term two months or so drain carb..prevents fuel deposits from building up...maked sence since gas in the bowel evaperates and does not come in contact with gaskets or o rings....maybe thats why everyone is cleaning the shit out of there carbs with the shot gun method...just a though

I put Seafoam or stabilizer in my carbs over winter.

Fuel is in contact with o-rings and part of gasket
surface.

2-3 months isn't really long term. Yamaha considers long term 6 months or more.

Mark

is there a way to pull the fuse or wire to the fuel pump and have the motor run,, to run out the gas in the carbs..just a thought.....

Yeah, there's a 2-pin connector to the fuel pump. It sits just behind and below the air box. You may be able to see it without removing the seat and/or air box.

Mark

Yeah, there's a 2-pin connector to the fuel pump. It sits just behind and below the air box. You may be able to see it without removing the seat and/or air box.

Mark

thanks for that info

tried draining my carbs for the first time today but nothing would come out till i "forced" a suction. any idea why it didnt gush out like all you say it does?

Dirt/debris could've been blocking it. How did the fuel look coming out? Clear? Maybe the float bowl vent was blocked? All four carbs had trouble draining? Strange indeed. The drain nipples might have been plugged....those holes are pretty small.

Mark

I always drain the float bowls. I just make sure the fuel has a good dose of Stabil in it first. There is bound to be a slight bit of fuel left in the carbs even draining them.

I have never had a problem with this method. In fact, this year I was late in draining the bowls (about 1 month after it was stored with stabil in it) and noticed the fuel had discolored to a darker color than usual.

I then ran it for a few minutes and checked the fuel color after again draining carb bowls. It was WAY lighter color (same fuel in tank).

I believe even with Stabil it will break down to some degree.

Carbs will stay dry (empty) as long as you don't turn the key on recycling the fuel pump.

John Worcester:thumbs up:
'02 Carbon Fiber V-Max

I've got an issue. When I drain my bowls for 6 mo storage I now get nothing draining from left side bowl and my fuel pump seems to go on all the time while riding, prob filling left bowl as necessary. Any ideas?

First guess is that bowl is empty or the drain tube/outlet is plugged. The float may be stuck closed so a light tap with a hammer on the back of the carb may jar it loose. Taking that carb apart for an inspection would be next.

Touch that side of the head to see if it's the same temp as the others and probably needing a cleaning.
I took off my stock pump and it is up for sale if you need one.
Good working condition.

I always drain the float bowls. I just make sure the fuel has a good dose of Stabil in it first. There is bound to be a slight bit of fuel left in the carbs even draining them.

I have never had a problem with this method. In fact, this year I was late in draining the bowls (about 1 month after it was stored with stabil in it) and noticed the fuel had discolored to a darker color than usual.

I then ran it for a few minutes and checked the fuel color after again draining carb bowls. It was WAY lighter color (same fuel in tank).

I believe even with Stabil it will break down to some degree.

Carbs will stay dry (empty) as long as you don't turn the key on recycling the fuel pump.

John Worcester:thumbs up:
'02 Carbon Fiber V-Max
Where are the carb bowl drain screws located? I heard they were hard to get to? Or does draining the float screw do the same effect?

Last edited:
Where are the carb bowl drain screws located? I heard they were hard to get to? Or does draining the float screw do the same effect?
Check the first post and accompanying picture in this thread. They are very easy to get to and will drain the float bowl fuel through the small side tubes which are also in that pic.

Cheers.

Mark

Latest posts

Back