Coolant leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an issue that started through the winter. First had a leak at the drain valve. I now have a new OEM tube installed. Now there is a leak where the tube goes into the engine block. I replaced the old o ring with a new one. The new o ring is a bit fatter than the old but didn't have any issues with installation. However it is still leaking. I did try disassembly and reassemble. Although, it is not leaking as bad now, there is still a slow drip. There was another thinner o ring I could have got but, it didn't seem like it would seal around the tube, slightly loose fit. Is it supposed to seal around the tube or seal as it sandwiches between flanges?

Sent from the open road using Vmax

Hi everyone! I have an issue that started through the winter. First had a leak at the drain valve. I now have a new OEM tube installed. Now there is a leak where the tube goes into the engine block. I replaced the old o ring with a new one. The new o ring is a bit fatter than the old but didn't have any issues with installation. However it is still leaking. I did try disassembly and reassemble. Although, it is not leaking as bad now, there is still a slow drip. There was another thinner o ring I could have got but, it didn't seem like it would seal around the tube, slightly loose fit. Is it supposed to seal around the tube or seal as it sandwiches between flanges?

You want a snug fit. Clean the hole & tube good and grease up the o ring and give it another try. Vasoline works well on o-rings. Get the OEM o-ring if in doubt.

Vasoline works well on o-rings. Get the OEM o-ring if in doubt.

Agree with using the OE O ring.

I prefer to use a silicon based lube unless I know the rubber is intended to be used with petroleum based products.

If all else has failed the a little silicon sealer should do the trick.

Sorry to keep an old wound open. I'm still fighting the leak issue. Can anyone tell me the OEM oring part number and/or cross reference number thanks.

I've seen plastic piping become porous and leak , so it make be leaking through the pipe itself , look at it very closely , especially at the seam if it has one .

If you don't find anything I'd install a new pipe and "0" rings ,
Also look up into the holes where the pipe goes and make sure they're not pitted

Hopefully this will get you the info you seek. OEM is the way to go. I had tried exactly what you did once and had the same issue. Not saying that’s your problem. IMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought: overpressure can be the result of a stuck thermostat. An overpressurized system might be able to go past the lower speced seals. Had a yamaha engined Ford Taurus SHO and chased an overtemp problem for a while. Guess what? Stuck thermostat.

I have had mine leak also, due to temperature changes/ and climate with a move from WA to TX to VA... loosen the phillips screw and tap it with a rubber mallet a couple of times... it helped mine seat in correctly after I changed the o-ring and still had a drip going....

Did you get the leak fixed?

So far so good. I worked on it Sunday. I found that is wasn't the seal for the drain valve tube. It was coming from the thermostat seal on top. The way it was leaking behind the housing and forming a drip under the drain tube. All the while it kept the inlet wet making it appear to be the tube seal leaking. I replaced the whole housing with one from my parts doner. It was in better condition than the one on the max even the thermostat looked fairly new. I did end up gettin the OEM seal for the drain tube. So, it's been sittin past few days and no leaking. When all this rain decides to stop I'm gonna take it out on a good warm up run and see what it does after that.

So far so good. I worked on it Sunday. I found that is wasn't the seal for the drain valve tube. It was coming from the thermostat seal on top. The way it was leaking behind the housing and forming a drip under the drain tube. All the while it kept the inlet wet making it appear to be the tube seal leaking. I replaced the whole housing with one from my parts doner. It was in better condition than the one on the max even the thermostat looked fairly new. I did end up gettin the OEM seal for the drain tube. So, it's been sittin past few days and no leaking. When all this rain decides to stop I'm gonna take it out on a good warm up run and see what it does after that.

That’s good, glad to hear it was simple and you got it fixed. These next couple days here look good, not sure about out your way.

Rain to the weekend but next week is lookin good. Now if only I can get the fuel consumption issue worked out lol

Latest posts

Back