COPs info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the info guys. On a side note, I'm pretty pumped to mod this bike out and make it my own. I've mostly ran rockets on and off the track, but I heard about vmax, had to see vmax, then rode and of course had to buy one. Any suggestions on exhaust...I really like a couple on the UFO website, but the price is hefty.? Thanks again.

Mark's exhaust is one of the most popular - sounds good looks great.

The Kerker 4into1 is also popular, but I personally prefer the looks of a 4into2 on the Max. Also with some 4into1s, you have to lose the center stand. With the Kerker you even have to cut the stands' tabs off the frame (!)

A lot of people have had mixed dealings with UFO - thread with care.

Check out CaptainKyle here, he's parting out some bikes and has some perf exhausts going for good prices right now.

I just got a kit from Gannon and it is very well put together with detailed instructions on removing old coils if you want to. I'll install it soon, I'm glad I went this way on the COPS.

No, a '95 does not need resistors, you have the newer digital ignition. I have been running COPs on my '97 for around 12k miles now and zero issues.

Any from a GSXR will work fine. They're all identical aside from minor cosmetic differences. They all use the same connectors and have very similar specs. I want to say the ones I'm running now came from a '09 gixxer 600. They cost $20 for the set of four sticks. For connectors you either have to get the donor bike's sub-harness with them (to cut the connectors out), or as said above steal them from a junkyard or something.

The information about which side is + and - on the COP terminal is on this site somewhere. There's a big COP thread in electrical, probably in there. Know I found it when I did it.

found it again....left is negative, right is positive (looking straight at connector, stick pointing down)

Warrior,

not to burst your bubble but I need to correct you. Not all GSXR cops are the same . There are actually about 5 different ones . Sure there are 2 different physical styles . But they are not all the same, resistances are different is one of the main things that you will see. Others are things they don;t want to share with us. just to clear it up.

G

When I saw this idea initially hatch and come to fruition, I followed it with great interest. When I saw the Spilcker kit come out, I was impressed and spoke to Glen a few times. Seems like there was always a more urgent bunch of bananas to buy and I put off the purchase.
My point is/was, these kits are done to a level of professionalism and craftsmanship that it did not pay for me to research technical data, track down component sources and practice a few test assemblies. That said, Ninjaneer, did you not see the set at Kyle's ? I feel I sniped everyone and that was at the end of the day! I could not be happier. One part I appreciate most is the fact that it helps "clean" things up electrically. I always had effective ignition but I cannot send enough accolades to the designer and supplier of this wonderful mod. Thanks 88
PATMAX

Warrior,

not to burst your bubble but I need to correct you. Not all GSXR cops are the same . There are actually about 5 different ones . Sure there are 2 different physical styles . But they are not all the same, resistances are different is one of the main things that you will see. Others are things they don;t want to share with us. just to clear it up.

G

+1 as identical looking COPs had different resistance. the first set caused my bike to have to turn over for 30-40s before starting when cold. haven't had a chance to try the second set yet that gannon sent me.

+1 as identical looking COPs had different resistance. the first set caused my bike to have to turn over for 30-40s before starting when cold. haven't had a chance to try the second set yet that gannon sent me.

ATTENTION! :clapping: these coils that Garrett has are the same as all of you that are not using a DYNA. We are in the process to verify if these new coils work better with the DYNA set up. It might even have to do with plug gap too.

Gannon

ATTENTION! :clapping: these coils that Garrett has are the same as all of you that are not using a DYNA. We are in the process to verify if these new coils work better with the DYNA set up. It might even have to do with plug gap too.

Gannon

possibly gap but i doubt it since i did have non-resistor'd COPs on this bike a few years back and took them off as the coil was grounding causing hiccups at low RPMs (stock ignition). got another set of coils (but not before ihad put the stock coils back on) and then sent the whole setup to kratz. same plugs as now so i'm thinking its the dyna.

possibly gap but i doubt it since i did have non-resistor'd COPs on this bike a few years back and took them off as the coil was grounding causing hiccups at low RPMs (stock ignition). got another set of coils (but not before ihad put the stock coils back on) and then sent the whole setup to kratz. same plugs as now so i'm thinking its the dyna.

Try the other coils that I sent you.

Gannon,

Installed your COP kit (just couldn't get that #2 coil out), looks nice & clean and the throttle response is noticable crisper...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Frank

Gannon,

Installed your COP kit (just couldn't get that #2 coil out), looks nice & clean and the throttle response is noticable crisper...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Frank

Frank,

I hope that the manual was pretty clear and was able to get you to the final outcome easily :confused2:. I hope that the conversion takes care of your issues and gives you years to come performance. If you have any question feel free to ask. No question is a dumb question in my opinion, if we all knew everything then we could do it all ourselves and there would be alot less talking in the world! :rofl_200:

Thanks G

one of the best mod's i have done // it was easy plug and play // thanks Gannon

Mark,
You are very welcome and I am glad that you like it :clapping:. My opinion and thoughts that I have had through the years buying mods is. That when they say that you can even do it yourself. Why do they always make it like you need a rocket scientist to install it. I wanted to make it easy for everyone.:punk:

Thanks G

Gannon,

Mine is a 95 so the instructions were just a little off...I REALLY wanted to get that last coil out but couldn't get to the screw just behind the steering stem...just couldn't get the shelf above the vboost pulled out. Otherwise install was easy...once I get my front tire issue ironed out I look forward to opening her up!!!

Connectors are real nice and just the right length!!

Thanks again,

Frank

If he actually has an 85' He will need resistors anyways! All the early CDI's using the COP's mod have ended in premature failure..... Just make sure that you get the correct side of the coil to the correct wire on the bikes wire harness ie. positive to positive and the negative side to the negative side....It is very very important.

G
I have an 1985 and i bought 4 denso's from a 2008 gsxr 750 and wiring from a yamaha r1- almost all the wire harnesses will fit the cops ( just look closely at the connections) and i used no resistors- Bill Seward gave me advice and went with- I will add at your own risk but i'm saying i have no problems nor did he.

only problem is that 750 coils are longer than 600 or 1000 ones, even hayabausa has short type. Easier to remove

Latest posts

Back