Kickstand kill switch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
Recently, I've had this problem where sometimes after I have a ride and stop the bike then try to restart, it wont turn over. All lights and stuff are on. Now, if I put the kickstand down, sometimes it will start so this make me think its a faulty kickstand kill switch relay.

Do these relays go bad often and is there a way to bypass? Or easier to find a new one. Looking at the service manual, but the picture is not so good to show where it is.

I start in neutral. 1994 Vmax

Recently, I've had this problem where sometimes after I have a ride and stop the bike then try to restart, it wont turn over. All lights and stuff are on. Now, if I put the kickstand down, sometimes it will start so this make me think its a faulty kickstand kill switch relay.

Do these relays go bad often and is there a way to bypass? Or easier to find a new one. Looking at the service manual, but the picture is not so good to show where it is.

I start in neutral. 1994 Vmax

You can unplug it or connect the 2 wires together.

So are we talking about cutting the wires/disconnecting the diode (#31) or the side stand switch (#22)?

You can unlpug #22 (side stand switch) and cut the wires that were connected to it coming down from under the seat along the frame and wire them together.
I put blade connectors on mine because I had some in my fork bag when the switch failed.
Then I just plugged them together and taped them up and it's been just fine like that for 10 years or more now.

That just fools the bike into thinking the side stand is always up.

I have never heard of anyone unplugging the Diode assembly to do this so I would Not try that.
I believe the Diode assembly affects more than just the side stand switch.

You could always try working some penetrating oil in to the switch. It's probably just gummed up............

You can unlpug #22 (side stand switch) and cut the wires that were connected to it coming down from under the seat along the frame and wire them together.

That just fools the bike into thinking the side stand is always up.

I can see doing this as a troubleshooting procedure ( to eliminate or confirm that the switch is defective), but why would you want to override an important safety feature?
All it would take is one incident of inattentive M/C operation to cause a potentially life threatening accident.
I know, 'cause it happened to me!
Around 1973, my first big bike (650 Yam, NO sidestand switch), and my first serious girlfriend (can't recall her name)
Leaving her place about 2 A.M., with a swollen case of Blueballs.
Needless to say, my mind was not on my bike, or my riding.
The first turn - luckily a very gentle left hand sweeper - came the sickening sound of metal on pavement and a shower of sparks. In an instant, I'm over a curb and onto a neighborhood lawn (but with worse luck could have been into a rockface). The bike is down, me on my ass, and pissed-off homeowners chewing me out.
The good - Only my pride was hurt, the only damage to the bike was a broken mirror, and the best - I learned a valuable lesson about pre-riding checks.
No, strike that last part.
The best part was losing the blueballs, :clapping:instantly.
Cheers!

Cheers!

LOL, Miles you always crack me up.

In regard to the side stand switch I personally dont see the need for the switch to be active. Mine was disabled when I got it and previously I had only had one other bike that had a similar feature. As long as you consistently perform a quick preride check before you go that beats a switch any day. I put my stand up first and check it again last before rolling out.

I can see doing this as a troubleshooting procedure ( to eliminate or confirm that the switch is defective), but why would you want to override an important safety feature?
All it would take is one incident of inattentive M/C operation to cause a potentially life threatening accident.
I know, 'cause it happened to me!
Around 1973, my first big bike (650 Yam, NO sidestand switch), and my first serious girlfriend (can't recall her name)
Leaving her place about 2 A.M., with a swollen case of Blueballs.
Needless to say, my mind was not on my bike, or my riding.
The first turn - luckily a very gentle left hand sweeper - came the sickening sound of metal on pavement and a shower of sparks. In an instant, I'm over a curb and onto a neighborhood lawn (but with worse luck could have been into a rockface). The bike is down, me on my ass, and pissed-off homeowners chewing me out.
The good - Only my pride was hurt, the only damage to the bike was a broken mirror, and the best - I learned a valuable lesson about pre-riding checks.
Cheers!

Again TMI Miles----:rofl_200:
I'm thinking of making "T-shirts" with this on the front
"IS THE BIKE OK?"

Again TMI Miles----:rofl_200:
I'm thinking of making "T-shirts" with this on the front
"IS THE BIKE OK?"

Hey Maxster -
Yeah, maybe TMI...but totally true.
However, I'm willing to sacrifice my virtue (taken for granted by others, imagined by self), if my posts may help keep folks healthy!
Seriously - why mess with a good thing? A sidestand interlock, or others, such as neutral gear supposition), are simple add-ons, easily dignosed if defective. LEAVE THEM AS IS. They may save your life.
Cheers!

Hey Maxster -
Yeah, maybe TMI...but totally true.
However, I'm willing to sacrifice my virtue (taken for granted by others, imagined by self), if my posts may help keep folks healthy!
Seriously - why mess with a good thing? A sidestand interlock, or others, such as neutral gear supposition), are simple add-ons, easily dignosed if defective. LEAVE THEM AS IS. They may save your life.
Cheers!

I totally agree with ya Miles, laughter is the best medicine and you you apply tons of it-much appreciated.

Miles you make a valid point but, the OP specifically asked if there was a way to bypass it.
Of course he can replace it with a new switch.

But I've had mine removed from the bike since around 2004 or so when the switch failed when I was hours from home.
I simply connected the two wires leading down to the switch and was riding again within minutes.
I have never bothered to replace the side stand switch because it has never been an issue for me.

If a person wants a replacement for this switch, I'm fairly certain Sean Morley has some on hand. I got a used one from him last May after a shot of WD40 no longer made mine work as new again, and he had three in his hand for me to choose from then. I suspect he may keep a new one on hand as well. Also, there's a few used ones on Ebay most any time.

If a person wants a replacement for this switch, I'm fairly certain Sean Morley has some on hand. I got a used one from him last May after a shot of WD40 no longer made mine work as new again, and he had three in his hand for me to choose from then. I suspect he may keep a new one on hand as well. Also, there's a few used ones on Ebay most any time.

Hey lads - all joking aside - sidestand switch operation is not ROCKET SCIENCE.
Like most switches, it's either on or off. Like Jim says, usually just a shot of WD 40 will restore proper operation.
I've never had a problem with the one on my bike, after 12 years of ownership. I just lubricate it yearly.
WHY TAKE A CHANCE WITH A SAFETY DEVICE?... by eliminating it????
stay safe!

Dropped my RD350 back in 1973 because I forgot to put the side stand up. No damage, but I still hear about it once in a while from the guys who saw me do it.. In my defense, all the other bikes I had previously owned were Hondas, that didn't have side stands..

Well, a new costs $40 +sh and used one on ebay cost $10. So will go the WD40 route and if that dont work, snip and tuck. I have never had an issue with leaving the sidestand down on any of my bikes. But theres always a first time.

Mine went bad too last year. Violently cut the power under hard acceleration. Almost put me and my wife over the handlebars. Disconnected as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On your way in a hurry to Nick Tahou's for a "Garbage Plate?":rofl_200:

I think a sidestand switch is a good thing if it works correctly. I wouldn't hesitate to disconnect a switch if I had to make a 'flying-fix' to limp into home port, but I would do the repair/replacement to restore its functionality. I need all the help I can get. :confused2:

Mine went bad too last year. Violently cut the power under hard acceleration. Almost put me and my wife over the handlebars. Disconnected as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 15
Back