FJR1300 swingarm?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the gears are in this thing and if it is concievably adaptable to the Max??????

I realize shock mounts would have to be created for it but beyond that could it work?????

:cheers:looks like no one answered your post, but since im about to embark on this here is what i have:

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/2e/19/b2_1_b.JPG

-2005 version...in general terms is an aluminum shaft drive arm
-it bolts up to the differential fine and is 2" longer..
-has the option to use mono shock if i choose to make that work
- confirmed 9 3/4" clear tire width so a 240 fits no mods
- has a funky offset hinge set up that requires some thought to overcome (i see two ways here)
-brake support will need some changes.
-a sock support on the non drive side will need fabricating (i will use the one on the diff for the drive side shock and lengthen the shock)

cost me 100 bucks so far...i will keep a running total ..see where it goes...

It can be done (anything can be done) but it will require heavy modification (cut up, custom fab and reweld) and is nothing close to 'bolt-on'. The FJR arm looks much more narrow at the mount point and much wider where the axle goes in and is still way offset from where we would need it. If you can come up with something let us all know, cause it would be freaking cool.

100_0911_op_200x150.jpg

b2_1_b.JPG

actually after a night of study i think it could be quite simple.
Bolt on , no.
Less that 3 grand you bet.

Anyway idea one is...a new bearing and plate connecting the tube under the gas tank to the one below the swing arm..essentially making a point for the new arm to swing on thats inboard of the output shaft.
Basically it mimics the frame of the FJR.

Strength would be critical so the plate is about 3 inches wide, 6 inches high and at least a half inch thick. With cuts at the top and bottom to match the contour of the tubes above and blow as well as with a center hole to carry the pivot.

That the frame and arm mated.

Now the double cardon joint...which needs to be spec-ed to offset the shaft...i see some need to open the hole in the arm to allow some of the joint to go into the arm itself....hopefully i can find a joint short enough to minimize this but still accommodate the misalignment.

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/sa/swingarm.jpg
http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/sa/swingarm02.jpg

I guess the ultimate test for it will be your first wheelie on it! :thumbs up: Hope the project works. :cheers:

true..

although id like to be more sure of things before that! ha...

well so far so good.

there were some moments of deep introspection but as of tonight its starting to look up.

There is interference between the top of the arm and the gas tank, but after a much more accurate mocking up (and taking into consideration some other changes i made to rear ride hight) the problem dosent appear as bad. But the drain plug has got to go or at least be accommodated because it the first contact point (may grind out a hole there in the arm)

Bolted up the vmax diff to it no problem.... going to need a custom axle and will need a custom pivot axle as well.

the u joint offset is not quite as bad as i thought it would be and like i said earlier will require a good whole in the arm to accommodate.

:cheers:looks like no one answered your post, but since im about to embark on this here is what i have:

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/2e/19/b2_1_b.JPG

-2005 version...in general terms is an aluminum shaft drive arm
-it bolts up to the differential fine and is 2" longer..
-has the option to use mono shock if i choose to make that work
- confirmed 9 3/4" clear tire width so a 240 fits no mods
- has a funky offset hinge set up that requires some thought to overcome (i see two ways here)
-brake support will need some changes.
-a sock support on the non drive side will need fabricating (i will use the one on the diff for the drive side shock and lengthen the shock)

cost me 100 bucks so far...i will keep a running total ..see where it goes...

I like your idea, I already have a jig made and with a few alterations I could set up one of these swings. It would be easy to adjust the offset But I would have to stretch it 1" to accomidate my 3" longer shaft. I might just have to try this. I was wonder about the weight of it compaired to a stock Vmax swing arm? Thanks for your innovational thinking. I just have to get my wife to OK it lol

I have an 2005 fjr swingarm with pivot axle and drive shaft.
Been trying to figure out how to install that arm on v-max.

After some testings i quit the project.
It could be done but with cuting and welding for a new. Also custom gas tank is needed.
Another problem with the diffrent offset on the pumpkin to swingarm and at the result custom wheel must be done.

Maybe i will try again some other day.

For know im fighting with custom monoshock conversion.

I have an 2005 fjr swingarm with pivot axle and drive shaft.
Been trying to figure out how to install that arm on v-max.

After some testings i quit the project.
It could be done but with cuting and welding for a new. Also custom gas tank is needed.
Another problem with the diffrent offset on the pumpkin to swingarm and at the result custom wheel must be done.

Maybe i will try again some other day.

For know im fighting with custom monoshock conversion.

I have a swingarm Jig and I think it is totally possible to make the swingarm work. The offset would have to be moved and a few other things fixed. I feel very confident that it is totally possible. I have even purchased the shock set up and everything. I also have another Max frame to mock it up on. I am going to do it, the fuel tank will be the biggest issue. However I like the FJR's set up on the shock because it hangs so low into the swingarm that it will benefit the fuel tank and not cause such a problem.

Gannon

I have a swingarm Jig and I think it is totally possible to make the swingarm work. The offset would have to be moved and a few other things fixed. I feel very confident that it is totally possible. I have even purchased the shock set up and everything. I also have another Max frame to mock it up on. I am going to do it, the fuel tank will be the biggest issue. However I like the FJR's set up on the shock because it hangs so low into the swingarm that it will benefit the fuel tank and not cause such a problem.

Gannon

Sure its possible but IMO you will end with 5 liters smaller gas tank and with hell welded swingarm. Thumbs up and wish you luck, dont forget to post the results :punk:

Latest posts

Back