What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought this 85 up here in Alaska today, 25,000 miles, Supertraps, has the rear fender bobbed and has a Metzler 170 on the rear, paid $1800 for it, rode it home with a frozen grin!
Now I have two max bikes.

Attachments

• 20140929_123303.jpg
    20140929_123303.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 38
Picked up the wrench needed to get that nut undone on the flywheel. Hoping all I need to replace is the starter clutch itself, and not the gear as well. (save me a few $$$ that way)

Building a little home for vmax to keep at the townhouse.
It's up but still working on it.

Attachments

• P1060945.jpg
    P1060945.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1060897.jpg
    P1060897.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 48
Took it on a 350 mile(600 kilometres) ride through the beautiful western Australia hills. Cruised mostly at 65-80 mph with a couple of short blats up to 180 and 210 kph, rock solid. I can't believe that I'm getting 16 kilometres per litre which is 37 mpg.

Matt

James I would just roll that bike inside thru the sliding door front center in the living room .. lol

your funny, Man I take the bike out for a ride, I re-did the seat looks very good and pads. It's 75% better and still have the stock height. I did try lower the seat did not like being to close, to the foot pegs ouch, Man still hurts to ride man.

I did a lot of reading online about motorcycle seat pads.

Man I was getting tiered of running up to the house getting the bike or cars. Man I may just go back to living there. I stop using it as storage / vacation property.
She like to move to a smaller rambler with a basement. Than move in the bigger house. We been going back and forth on this lately. The funny thing there's rambler on the property to but no basement.

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_145316.jpg
    IMG_20140924_145316.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 29
Well, after cleaning her up real good and with a sad face I said goodbye to my max and a see you soon. Handed it over to the shipping company today. will take some pics tomorrow of her in her new home for the next 2 months as she sails from Guam to Longbeach CA then gets on a truck to Enid Oklahoma. Here is hoping she arrives safe and sound ready for a complete tear down and rebuild into a new to her frame.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Had to put charger on bike, does have an Odyssey battery but I think it's an older one, temps were mid 20 f.
Warmed up to almost 50 f later in the day, will probably take it out for one last ride today and then it comes into the house for our long Alaska winter and it's restoration back to original condition, the PO says he got it two years ago and it was already bobbed then, I have another rear fender and will repaint all to match.

I still get goosebumps hearing that Supertrapp sound!

Had to put charger on bike, does have an Odyssey battery but I think it's an older one, temps were mid 20 f.
Warmed up to almost 50 f later in the day, will probably take it out for one last ride today and then it comes into the house for our long Alaska winter and it's restoration back to original condition, the PO says he got it two years ago and it was already bobbed then, I have another rear fender and will repaint all to match.

I still get goosebumps hearing that Supertrapp sound!

I like the Kerker 4/1 the best for the sound, but I don't want to lose the centerstand. I have a UFO 4/1, which does allow you to mount the centerstand for service. I have a Supertrapp SS full system for my FZR1000.

My other 85 max has a 4-1 Kerker on it, never heard what they sound like though.

So today the running 85 is put in the house for the winter, will have to investigate why an 85 has a spin on oil filter, don't see any adapter plate, I think it's a 96 motor.

Well, found out today that the only thing damaged was one wire (probably happened when I pulled the side cover off. that was a two minute fix on the part of the mechanic) and the starter clutch which grenaded nicely. The flywheel has a couple scuff marks, but thats it. The Starter gear is in perfect shape. (surprised me and the mechanics at the shop)

Took them guys a bit to get it off, they told me that damn flywheel was the most stubborn bastard that they have ever seen lol

Dave is gonna see if he can find me a better price on the clutch, but I suspect he'll find the lowest to be found is $105 after shipping.

I just wanna be riding her again

Bought a $14 endoscope off the 'bay and checked my oil galley O-ring thru the drain hole today on my "85 barnfind with it. Took me a while to figure out it had n opaque protective film on the mirror LOL

No O-ring showing WAHOO!

I rebuilt the water pump, again. I did it several months ago but it started leaking again. There was some corrosion on the impeller shaft so this time I replaced the impeller and shaft as well as bearings and seals. It took 2 hours from start to finish including cleaning up and putting tools away.

Matt

Bought a $14 endoscope off the 'bay and checked my oil galley O-ring thru the drain hole today on my "85 barnfind with it. Took me a while to figure out it had n opaque protective film on the mirror LOL

No O-ring showing WAHOO!

Great .

You have a link for the scope ? Everybody should have one I'm thinking.

Gonna share again. First things first ... I do understand that pics I've shared so far don't do much to demonstrate the preponderance of ATGATT sentiment in this group. I'm the free-to-be/free-to-choose type - I hope you can forgive some of my choices. I own several helmets, leathers, gloves and boots which are well used. And, I've been down with and without, so I understand the increased risk of my choices - I've got 40 years in the saddle with 30 on the street. I am not a role model - I am a biker.

That said, I think I look darn good in this pic. I do with the photog had rolled down her passenger window. This is an important pic for me 'cause it represents my last ride as my MC's Road Captain - it's been a great year and I pulled them cruisers for more than 10K miles over this past year - most of them on Lola (this Max).

Attachments

• last hurrah.jpg
    last hurrah.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 38
Gonna share again. First things first ... I do understand that pics I've shared so far don't do much to demonstrate the preponderance of ATGATT sentiment in this group. I'm the free-to-be/free-to-choose type - I hope you can forgive some of my choices. I own several helmets, leathers, gloves and boots which are well used. And, I've been down with and without, so I understand the increased risk of my choices - I've got 40 years in the saddle with 30 on the street. I am not a role model - I am a biker.

That said, I think I look darn good in this pic. I do with the photog had rolled down her passenger window. This is an important pic for me 'cause it represents my last ride as my MC's Road Captain - it's been a great year and I pulled them cruisers for more than 10K miles over this past year - most of them on Lola (this Max).

As far as ATGATT...to each his own. When I beat a Kawasaki 750 a while back, I had my helmet on....not my jacket. I pulled away from him at 130. Looks like good times though.

Back