Carbs Dripping Gas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
I had a leaky carb drip gas before, about a year ago.
I've installed all new rubber overflow valves in all 4, and the problem went away.
Today I noticed that a have a small drip of gas coming out from ALL 4 Carbs at once.. It's a really light drip, but you can see two wet spots on each side of the bike. The only thing I can think of that can cause all 4 to drip at once is too much pressure in the fuel line.

I don't know, what do you think?

What's leaking are the overflow tubes coming out of of the top of each carb. Not the drain tube that's used to purge the bowls. I have some clear tubing leading from each one, running down both sides of the bike. today I noticed that all 4 have a small drip of fuel coming out. I could not see or smell this while riding but only after parking the bike for a while. Now since gasoline evaporates relatively fast, this drip must be fast enough to keep the spot wet, but I could not see the drip itself. I stood there for a while and nothing. Come back an hour later and there are the 4 spots.

I'm going to check the wet float levels after the weather gets better over here.. Hopefully, tomorrow after work.

What's leaking are the overflow tubes coming out of of the top of each carb. Not the drain tube that's used to purge the bowls. I have some clear tubing leading from each one, running down both sides of the bike. today I noticed that all 4 have a small drip of fuel coming out. I could not see or smell this while riding but only after parking the bike for a while. Now since gasoline evaporates relatively fast, this drip must be fast enough to keep the spot wet, but I could not see the drip itself. I stood there for a while and nothing. Come back an hour later and there are the 4 spots.

I'm going to check the wet float levels after the weather gets better over here.. Hopefully, tomorrow after work.

Good chance that's the problem....keep us posted.

Also, the reason I think it might be too much pressure is this:
1), The bike is off when seeing this, so the carbs are not sucking any fuel to be burned.
2), The leak is there after the bike is parked. Even after hours of sitting, raw gas is still moist on the ground.

So, the question is, what can cause all 4 Over Flow tubes to seep gas while the fuel pump is off. It can't be a siphoning effect since the tank / fuel level is lower than the top of the carbs (gravity wont allow that).

I'm thinking, only high pressure could cause these symptoms.
What do you think?

"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-oil-Pre...99696e&vxp=mtr"

I might have to get one of these, but I guess the next logical question is;
If the pressure is high, what can be done about it?

Interesting. I wonder how many other VMax owners have something like this..
I have to wait for better weather to test.
Thanks

I had 4 wet carbs once and it freaked me out, luckily it turned out to only be condensation
but, I don't think this would be enough to wet the side of the bike, never mind getting to the ground

IMAG2200.jpg

Yes, I see condensation most mornings over here. That would freak me out too, if I was not sure of what it was. When I ride in, I park under our building. People like to smoke in non designated areas down there. I'm afraid that one of them will flick their butt next to my bike. As I'm sure, that most of us have put untold amounts of time into our bikes. I'd hate to have some nonsense take it out.

Latest posts

Back