New battery or not

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the non-starting issue after a quick run to Walmart. I've already got the replacement battery & R1 regulator/rectifier is on the way for upgrading from the stock r/r. Assuming the r/r is the reason why it wouldn't start, should I wait to install the new battery until after replacing with the R1 r/r? How quickly will it kill the new battery?

If you're replacing both, wait to do both. Chances are your new battery won't die from undercharging, but it may from over-charging.

If you're getting real high voltage to battery, it will kill a battery quickly, if it's WAY too high, every component is vulnerable. Stick a voltmeter on the battery, and have a look. I've got a higher output Venture stator directly wired to battery through a SH775 Series regulator, I'm getting 14.3 volts at 1500 rpm, and 14.5 at riding speed. I also have a voltmeter installed.

Rule of thumb.. Never change out multiple items when trying to diagnose a single problem. It just leaves you broke not knowing what actually fixed the issue.

So a bad r/r cooks the battery? Learn something new every day.

I learned this with an FZR. I ended up changing the r/r for a newer yzf-600 R/r and it was fine until I sold it. Electrical has been ok so far on the Max, minus a battery that was bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd worry over 15 volts or so. You're generating almost 60 volts AC. If the rectifier is working, but something happens to the regulator part of the unit, you may get high voltage to battery. If you're lucky, you may just fizz out a headlight bulb.

14.4 to 14.6 volts would be optimal in my opinion. You're probably OK over about 13.5 volts. Under 13, you got a problem.

Back