COPs info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxgrizz686

Reaction score
Hey guys I have denso cops I purchased from ebay.I know there is a member on this site that sells plug and play harnesses for 70-80ish bucks i think but if your like me I enjoy building and researching my own stuff when possible.So with the help of the net I can tell u the denso pigtail end of the harness is the same as ford truck cops with V8 engine 98 & up.So this end of the harness just go to the salvage yard find a empty engine bay and cut 4 pigtails out of the harness I'm sure most salvage yard will let you have them for free as its pretty rare someone wants a complete wiring harness from a ford truck.I know that plug-in fits perfect as I own a ford truck and just outside and tried it no problems just a nice click!! and weather proof seal.I know a sub-harness from some sort of motorcycle or powersports unit can also be purchased on ebay at a fair price but FREE!!! is always better!!!.This maybe common knowledge maybe not but I figured better to share.Now on to the vmax end of the harness I think this end maybe a little more of a P.I.T.A LOL!! thxs guys and if any info please post thxs again.:eusa_dance:

Ok maybe not as hard as I thought it would be lol!! I believe the vmax end of the pigtail is called US2WW or A2AS found them at kojaycat or corsa technic site.Can someone verify these are right??? thxs guys.This with the piles of info on this site about cops for those of us who enjoy building are own stuff when possible we should have no issues at all.:eusa_dance:

Last edited:
Good tip for anyone looking to do this mod....COP connectors seem to be fairly universal...everything from bikes to jetskis to trucks use the same ones. My set of sticks came with the sub-harness from the donor R6, that I just clipped the connectors off of. I'd put money that any Ford motor with COPs probably uses the same ones and I wouldn't be surprised if GM/Chrysler cars also work...their ignitions are probably made by the same people in Japan anyway.

But yeah, free is better. If you have the stock ignition you'll be fine splicing them directly in, if you have the Dyna you NEED resistors.

Good tip for anyone looking to do this mod....COP connectors seem to be fairly universal...everything from bikes to jetskis to trucks use the same ones. My set of sticks came with the sub-harness from the donor R6, that I just clipped the connectors off of. I'd put money that any Ford motor with COPs probably uses the same ones and I wouldn't be surprised if GM/Chrysler cars also work...their ignitions are probably made by the same people in Japan anyway.

But yeah, free is better. If you have the stock ignition you'll be fine splicing them directly in, if you have the Dyna you NEED resistors.

If he actually has an 85' He will need resistors anyways! All the early CDI's using the COP's mod have ended in premature failure..... Just make sure that you get the correct side of the coil to the correct wire on the bikes wire harness ie. positive to positive and the negative side to the negative side....It is very very important.

G

Yeah I didn't notice the year....the old analog ignitions are pretty fragile. The 90 and up digital boxes are very resilient.

Anyone know why exactly COPs fry Dynas or the analog boxes? What's the actual difference?

Yeah I didn't notice the year....the old analog ignitions are pretty fragile. The 90 and up digital boxes are very resilient.

Anyone know why exactly COPs fry Dynas or the analog boxes? What's the actual difference?

I will never tell......:whistlin: It is kinda like walking a tight rope or a plank! if you go beyond their boundries you are a gone'r!

G

Hey guys my vmax is an 85.I have a question or 2 first what is the resistor value needed I assume this will go inline on the hot side (positive)??and second what is the hot side on the denso cop??? I looked all over it and no signs of + or - I have the service manual for the vmax so no worries with wiring there thxs guys!!!:eusa_dance: OHHHHH can't for it to warm up a bit I'm getting the Vmax itch!!

Hey guys my vmax is an 85.I have a question or 2 first what is the resistor value needed I assume this will go inline on the hot side (positive)??and second what is the hot side on the denso cop??? I looked all over it and no signs of + or - I have the service manual for the vmax so no worries with wiring there thxs guys!!!:eusa_dance: OHHHHH can't for it to warm up a bit I'm getting the Vmax itch!!

I am a pretty giving guy but.... I looked at this and worked with a few others for about 8+ months to figure this out. Gathered information and compared what others said and what was true and what was not.
If you haven't figured it out I am the one that sells the harnesses for the conversion. I am not offended on your pursuit for information nor that you want to do a harness setup yourself. I admire your drive!:punk: I cannot tell you what the plug numbers are because I buy in 1000 pc lots directly from the manufacturer and your numbers do not match mine. Along with resistors that are made just for me by the manufacturer here in the states. I can tell you a few things. The resistor value is determined by the resistance of the coils used, which is also connected to the brand and the wattage to be used... Also the series of CDI There are a few things to consider.
Once again I admire your drive and wanting to make your own. You are just like me :clapping:

Gannon

Thank You very much for the "hints" Gannon.I would not expect you being the person who makes the plug and play harnesses and sells them (at a very fair price) to give up all of your info.I'm simply asking a question no worries at all.I am a Transmission Tech by trade and if someone walked in to the rebuild area of the shop asking me how to rebuild a transmission I would not tell them either I understand your point of view.I am fairly certain I am on the right path and will just dig a little deeper.I wish you all the best with your vmax harnesses and if at the end of my little adventure I don't get the success I want I will glad buy a set from you.Thxs :eusa_dance:

I gave you all the info that you need. now with a little trial and error and hopefully not a burnt up CDI or CDI's you will be on your way!

G

Thanks again I'm sure I will get it built just fine as I'm not a fan of fire or burnt parts for that matter!! lol!!! :eusa_dance:

The cause is the primary resistance of the stock coils versus the newer cops. The ignitor circuit in the factory box is designed to use a coil with a 3kohm primary resistance. When you drop that down 1kohm(cops) the current that flows through the ignitor circuit becomes higher. That causes the circuit to heat up and eventually fail.

Hey guys my vmax is an 85.I have a question or 2 first what is the resistor value needed I assume this will go inline on the hot side (positive)??and second what is the hot side on the denso cop??? I looked all over it and no signs of + or - I have the service manual for the vmax so no worries with wiring there thxs guys!!!
eusa_dance.gif
OHHHHH can't for it to warm up a bit I'm getting the Vmax itch!!

You are right, it will go inline on the hotside.

To determine the resistor value. Measure the primary resistance of the stock coil and primary resistance of the cop. The difference is the resistor value you need to install.

Pulling numbers out of my ass, you need a 2kohm resistor.

disclosure: I could be confusing Kohm with Mohm, the rest is correct though.

It's been a while since I read up on the COPs. I did get to a point a few months ago to where I had purchased all that I wanted/needed (I, too, wanted to do this with the same gusto as you). However, I have yet to start the project. Anyways, check out the following post by the man who started it all: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=61286&postcount=39. Somewhere buried deep in the rest of the forum is Prez's conclusion of what the resistance needed to be (I recall him advising a certain someone of it). If memory serves me correctly, the CDI or is it the Dyna needs to see the same resistance as provided by the stock coils or else it fries. Prez's experiments saw that the resistor needed to be resilient somewhere between 10-30W (I can't remember off hand). So.....

Well at present I am looking locally for a nice neat small resistor but currently no luck.I found one guy but his price was a tad bit silly 12.00 canadian per I can get radio shack "cement block" resistor but that is just plain ugly!!! So far money vs. effort Gannon's harness are the way to go but I'll keep looking.Have a good day all !!! :punk:

..."cement block" resistor but that is just plain ugly...
I have those cement blocks:rofl_200:.
I'm waiting on one more piece to the puzzle and then I can wrap this project up, but it seems that the stupid mail carrier mis-delivered the package
Hellboy-hellboy-hell-boy-smiley-emoticon-000475-large.gif

It's been a while since I read up on the COPs. I did get to a point a few months ago to where I had purchased all that I wanted/needed (I, too, wanted to do this with the same gusto as you). However, I have yet to start the project. Anyways, check out the following post by the man who started it all: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=61286&postcount=39. Somewhere buried deep in the rest of the forum is Prez's conclusion of what the resistance needed to be (I recall him advising a certain someone of it). If memory serves me correctly, the CDI or is it the Dyna needs to see the same resistance as provided by the stock coils or else it fries. Prez's experiments saw that the resistor needed to be resilient somewhere between 10-30W (I can't remember off hand). So.....

According to all the reading I have done and people I have spoken to, the consensus is that the stock CDI is fine without a resistor and the dyna needs it 100%.

Well at present I am looking locally for a nice neat small resistor but currently no luck.I found one guy but his price was a tad bit silly 12.00 canadian per I can get radio shack "cement block" resistor but that is just plain ugly!!! So far money vs. effort Gannon's harness are the way to go but I'll keep looking.Have a good day all !!! :punk:
Is this what you are referring to?
If so, these would work but are ugly and hard to adapt to the harness.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-Ceramic-Ce...795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9879553

These are round and a bit easier to work with, cheap, but are 10W. Not sure if its enough. Though these cost a bit more than normal wirewounds they are better.
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=356_86_415&products_id=8411

This is a nice one.
http://www.amazon.com/Mills-1-2-Ohm...s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302718061&sr=1-137

Add that to the 1.6 or 1.8 ohm you get from a denso cops and you get closer to the needed 3.

If someone has Gannon's harness go be a chum and measure the resistance of the resistor he uses.

Hi,

I am new here and just bought my first vmax. I have been reading the threads on cops and would like to do the mod. I have a 95'.....so do I need to have a harness with resistors? Regardless I would like to get the harnesses from you. Also, do you have a good part number for cops from denso, or a number for those out of a GSX-R (what years work)? Sorry about the questions:ummm: Thanks for the help

No, a '95 does not need resistors, you have the newer digital ignition. I have been running COPs on my '97 for around 12k miles now and zero issues.

Any from a GSXR will work fine. They're all identical aside from minor cosmetic differences. They all use the same connectors and have very similar specs. I want to say the ones I'm running now came from a '09 gixxer 600. They cost $20 for the set of four sticks. For connectors you either have to get the donor bike's sub-harness with them (to cut the connectors out), or as said above steal them from a junkyard or something.

The information about which side is + and - on the COP terminal is on this site somewhere. There's a big COP thread in electrical, probably in there. Know I found it when I did it.

found it again....left is negative, right is positive (looking straight at connector, stick pointing down)

Hi,

I am new here and just bought my first vmax. I have been reading the threads on cops and would like to do the mod. I have a 95'.....so do I need to have a harness with resistors? Regardless I would like to get the harnesses from you. Also, do you have a good part number for cops from denso, or a number for those out of a GSX-R (what years work)? Sorry about the questions:ummm: Thanks for the help

Hi Chef Bone and welcome to the site.

send a private message to 88vmx12 - he can sell you a complete kit which includes professionally made harnesses with all the right connectors and a set of S/H COPs. The harnesses do include the resistors, and are completely 'plug and play'.

It is by far the easiest way to do this mod, and makes it completely reversible as you do not need to change anything at all to the bike's harness.

I made my own COPs mod for my old '86, but for my new 2000 I bought the kit from Gannon, and I can attest that it is 1st class stuff. Also his price is good - do bear in mind it cuts on the time you would spend sourcing the COPs, slicing the harnesses etc etc

Latest posts

Back