Wrong------------

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gen 2 has weather pack connectors on everything so it's even safer to wash it however you want!

Sean,
You know I trust every word that you type or say about Vmax's, so I believe that the Gen 2's are built with water protection to allow you to wash it as you would have washed the Gen 1's.

However for me to feel 110% safe and worry free I plan to go with using a process that helps me clean my Gen 2 and feel confident that any excess water will not cause any issues.

It's me doing something I most likely don't need to do but to be sure I will try less water and soap all over the bike and just water soap each area one at a time. More time consuming , yes over doing it, mostly likely, yes.

For an example:

Many people swear by seafoam, back several years ago on my 2007 I stored it in a heated storage and have a battery tender jr connected to my battery. I filled it with gas and used the proper amount of Seafoam. Next spring I couldn't start my Vmax and had to send my carbs to Sean to completely clean then or rebuild them to get the Vmax running right before I sold it.

Now on my Gen 2, I am already trying to find out things I will have to know to care for my bike properly, cleaning it and even this early in spring also trying to get info for winter storage here in freezing Minnesota.

So although I believe you 100% I am doing as little as possible to wash my Gen 2 without watering the whole bike, soaping the whole bike up, cleaning everything one area at a time. Then I blow dry with my leaf blower everything, paying close attention to any area that water can pool or too close to electronics that excessive forced air might cause it to loosen or cause any issues in that area. So yes I am way more concerned than I most likely have to be but do not want the same experiences I had with my 2007. I know my 2007 was a carb issue not a cleaning issue but it was a big issue to me and I try to avoid issues from this point forward as I learn this ne generation of Vmax's

The gen 2 has weather pack connectors on everything so it's even safer to wash it however you want!

+1 Sean.
I always use a pressure washer on my 09, and so does Shala. ZERO problems in the years we've had ours. I will say, however, that with our air boxes removed, and the big air kits with K&N's installed, I will shy away from the small area between the faux cover and scoops where the K&N's are slightly visible, so as not to hit the K&N's directly with the pressure. We've been caught in a bunch of good downpours, and the K&N's have never inhaled enough moisture for a single cough or sputter, but I wouldn't want to damage them with pressurized water.

IMO, some folks buy bikes for show....others buy them to ride. "To each, their own." Let's ride!

i am a mechanic at a kawasaki dealer but we deal with all brands.
always washed bikes with a detergent pulverized to the bike and then pressure washed.
never,ever had any problem,at most some brands like old ducatis and some moped that start missing one cylinder until some temp is reached.

just make sure you use a decent and bike compatible detergent(it most be harm free to very different materials,not just metal or paint) and pressure wash with low pressure and with the spray pattern tip.
we always use compressed air to dry the bike(to avoid water marks),with it running to dry parts that are inaccessible.

on my bikes(had a vfr 750 and now vmax) i use a paint sealer and chrome polish to keep thing protected and shiny.
bikes are made to be ridden in every condition,if they rust prematurely or fail they are poorly made(thankfully not the case of the vfr and the vmax).
they just need to be taken care properly after ride to keep good looks and reliable.

Back