R1 regulator location

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old V65 Rider

Reaction score
Last year I put in an R1 voltage regulator and stuck it under the passenger seat. The regulator went bad and was distroying batteries. I replaced it today and after a short ride I took the seat off and the regulator was already way too hot to handle. Got to find a better place to put it but not sure where yet. What has everyone else done? Thanks.

Last year I put in an R1 voltage regulator and stuck it under the passenger seat. The regulator went bad and was distroying batteries. I replaced it today and after a short ride I took the seat off and the regulator was already way too hot to handle. Got to find a better place to put it but not sure where yet. What has everyone else done? Thanks.

Welcome to my world, lol! I just installed one and put it where you put yours and that sumbitch gets hot! I am going to relocate it to the front part of the seat when I do my battery swap this weekend. That seems to be a better location. Shawn did a little write up recently when he did his, I should've followed suite and done it as he did but NO, I gotta be different :biglaugh:

Here's Shawn's thread : http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=44474

and here's my install : http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=44489

I'd actually like to put it under the left scoop but that seems to be damn near impossible for the R/R I have, it's a biggun!

I have heard of people put it above the battery but I am not sure that would be good enough. I also thought about the rear finder and am sure it would stay cool there, just a little concerned about safety there. Humm..

I put a regulator under there on my '85 and attached a low profile cpu fan. It never got warmer than "slightly warm". Kind of the long way around, but it worked. Just make sure you wire it to something that goes on and off with the key.

I put a regulator under there on my '85 and attached a low profile cpu fan. It never got warmer than "slightly warm". Kind of the long way around, but it worked. Just make sure you wire it to something that goes on and off with the key.

Got any pics by chance?

I mounted mine in the stock location behind the left passenger peg. Made a small bracket. Been there two years and in some rain with no issues.

A66BF51D-029E-4C4D-95DF-3AF25C46DF15.jpg

CDF6F53E-8A9E-4314-8C7F-5AEF97CEB3A1.jpg

Later, Doug

Installed mine in the LH scoop and have had zero issues. Eastern Beaver has some nice waterproof connectors made for those R&R's, I added dielectric grease in all of the connectors just to be safe.

IMG_2224.jpg

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Picture added for reference

Last edited:
I have heard of people put it above the battery but I am not sure that would be good enough. I also thought about the rear finder and am sure it would stay cool there, just a little concerned about safety there. Humm..

I weigh about 185lbs and on occasion when my wife does come along for a ride(she's about 135) our combined weight(320lbs) does manage to compress the rear suspension but there is still quite a bit of clearance between the R/R and the top of the rear tire...

Mine lives under the seat, zip tied to the former coil bracket. I'm running cops, so it went where the coils were. Using a Series type regulator, it barely gets warm down there.

I bolted mine to the top of the underside of the rear fender; I would imagine that it gets pretty good air flow under there...

+1, 17' wheels made it even easier. When buying these, there is a difference between the $19 one and the more expensive. They shouldn't be too hot to touch. Mine is giving me +14 volts at idle.

+1, 17' wheels made it even easier. When buying these, there is a difference between the $19 one and the more expensive. They shouldn't be too hot to touch. Mine is giving me +14 volts at idle.

I bought a used FZ1 R/R from ebay complete with harness; I had it under the seat, but it would get really hot, so I relocated it under the fender and it stays just cool enough to touch. I get 14+ volts too!!!

Got any pics by chance?

No, that bike is long gone. The fan was maybe 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter, and about a half an inch thick. I used small tie wraps to hold it to the top of the fins. The regulator was from a Honda VF1000F Interceptor.

You must have some bad luck with these lol. I followed suit with I believe bill Seward? I think? But I grabbed a shindegen rr like he had recommended and since I have the cops on and had removed my old coils, mine resides under the front seat. It looks a lot neater now, this pic is when I was routing and wiring and figuring where and how. I would highly suggest the battery mod as well. These two go hand and hand in my opinion.

IMG_0427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to put it in the stock location behind the rear left foot peg. Made a bracket that keeps it tucked up there as it is not visible. Thanks for all the advice!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 30
Here is a pic of my bike and pickup. IF i could get the pickup to hook up it would be faster than the Vmax.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
I keep seeing comments about one style of regulator not generating heat like another. I picked up an R1 unit that was also said to not get as hot as the stock vmax part, according to someone from one of the vmax FB pages. I guess people have differing definitions of what constitutes warm/hot/smoking but the R1 unit I have gets pretty warm. I paid $17 or so for it. I've also seen comments claiming some don't even get the slightest bit warm. Which ones don't get hot & how do you now that you are getting what's advertised?

Latest posts

Back