VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

Calimus said:
I haven't seen a real good snowfall down here in over 10 years.

You poor thing you. When we get 8-10", you're invited to help with my driveway that is 400 feet long. Just think of the fun you can have here in Cincinnati. Perhaps some of the chaps in Canada will call you when they get it by the foot or two or three. Snow is only good for skiing in the mountains and drawing yellow pictures in the flat lands. Hell I'm getting too old for both of these sports. They're just not as much fun as they used to be.

Too funny Mike.

The reason I miss it so much is that I'm from around Buffalo NY. So I remember having to shovel the driveway, de-ice the cars and all that other happy BS. I'm not looking for 6ft+ like we used to get. I'd just like 3-4 feet. Down here, that will shut the state down. I could really use the a few days vacation from work.

Calimus said:
I'd just like 3-4 feet. Down here, that will shut the state down. I could really use the a few days vacation from work.

HA! An inch shuts everything down in Atlanta. It's really dangerous down here. A few people actually know what to do. The vast majority have no clue...They mow down everything :bicycle:

Oh how I know. Was funny when I first moved down back in the mid 80's and the first winter school was closed due to the "threat" of snowfall.

Being from NY, I found that hystarical. I remember going to school when the snow drifts along the side of the road were much taller then I was.

But yea, down here ppl think because they have a 4wd, that they can just drive in it like it's nothing. Can't tell ya how many big trucks I've pulled out of ditches with my little 2wd toyota.

I recently changed to Castrol GTX 10W-30 and noticed foam in the top part of my crankcase vent tube and the puke catch in the airbox. I'm considering going back to Castrol Actevo. Is a bit of foam normal for this oil? I never noticed it for Actevo?

I don't know if Actevo is motorcycle specific but I would stick with motorcycle oils, motorcycles with engine & transmission using the same oil puts much more strain on the oil than cars do.

maleko89 said:
I recently changed to Castrol GTX 10W-30 and noticed foam in the top part of my crankcase vent tube and the puke catch in the airbox. I'm considering going back to Castrol Actevo. Is a bit of foam normal for this oil? I never noticed it for Actevo?
________
GM 54-Degree V6 engine specifications

Last edited:

Actevo is motorcycle specific.

I usually run Castrol 20-50 or 10-40 but really am not that picky.....

I am mainly a huge fan of CLEAN oil........

wfcall said:
I usually run Castrol 20-50 or 10-40 but really am not that picky.....

I am mainly a huge fan of CLEAN oil........
Right on!!! Those that need to run MC specific oils believe what they read. There have been many independent tests on all the oils out there and NONE are any better than the rest, PERIOD. So much talk about oil when the "real deal" is how you maintain your bike and how you ride it. Burnouts and wheelies might be fun but take their toll. Running an engine wide open with little or no load is just as harmful to it as lugging it. The type and brand of engine oil you use has the least effect on your bike. You don't need to believe me, you can check these facts out for yourself or be led by the nose by those that haven't got a clue.

mikemax04 said:
Right on!!! Those that need to run MC specific oils believe what they read. There have been many independent tests on all the oils out there and NONE are any better than the rest, PERIOD. So much talk about oil when the "real deal" is how you maintain your bike and how you ride it. Burnouts and wheelies might be fun but take their toll. Running an engine wide open with little or no load is just as harmful to it as lugging it. The type and brand of engine oil you use has the least effect on your bike. You don't need to believe me, you can check these facts out for yourself or be led by the nose by those that haven't got a clue.

Dang! You just described my riding style..

Mike, I disagree. Castrol Actevo.....no foam. GTX, lots of foam. This doesn't mean a difference between motorcycle and other oils, just a difference in what I used. Also, Actevo is better than Yamalube IMHO. Better shifting in my experience. So, 2 thumbs up for Actevo.

That oil topic has been going on in all motorcycle forums for as long as the Internet so it is really up to each individual which oil to use, some go with the expensive ones and have good reasons for it yet others go with cheap car oils and also have good reasons for using it, at the end the bike will eventually break and will need engine rebuild some sooner than others depending on the way it is ridden and maintained.
so use whatever oil you feel good enough for you and your wallet:)
engines don't last for ever anyway.
Mark, if you really want better smooooother shifting you should try my miracle additive:) :) :), the one that Mike doesn't like:(

maleko89 said:
Mike, I disagree. Castrol Actevo.....no foam. GTX, lots of foam. This doesn't mean a difference between motorcycle and other oils, just a difference in what I used. Also, Actevo is better than Yamalube IMHO. Better shifting in my experience. So, 2 thumbs up for Actevo.
________
girlfriends pics

Last edited:

maleko89 said:
You're disagreeing with the independent studies Mark? Hey, whatever works for you. Personally I don't listen to those seat of the pants guys in what THEY like. You like it, you use it. I have no problems with guys having their likes but do want to inform those that want to know that there is not enough difference in the longevity of an engine when it comes to choosing an oil for their bike. The reason this topic is discussed at all is because each person perceives an advantage with THEIR brand of oil. You like this and another guy likes that. Doesn't that tell you something? If there really was one special oil that performed better, why do so many different bikers swear by their brand? Don't you think it's also a good idea to mention what the independent experts have found and not just what a few bikers prefer? I think freedom of choice is a great thing and those that want to spend $8 for a quart of oil or more, should do so. But those that spend $2 for a quart should know that they are NOT compromising anything. Same thing with gas. Many want to treat their baby better so prefer to use super instead of regular. Who cares? Those that are not sure should know that the Max was built to run on regular. I'm dealing in facts and not emotions. What works for one person doesn't always work for all.

Mike, exactly. My point is that not all oils are the same. I didn't say the oil I use is the best....I just know about what I've tried. Actevo is better than Yamalube because there's definitely better shifting. To experiment, I went back to Yamalube after the Actevo to prove it. Actevo is also better than the GTX I've tried just because of the foaming issue. Personally, I don't care much about the studies. I'm the kind of person that tries stuff for myself.

firefly said:
Mark, if you really want better smooooother shifting you should try my miracle additive:) :) :), the one that Mike doesn't like:(

It's not that I don't like your miracle additive. I could care less what you do with your bike or how you maintain it. If you were to state that trying a product seems to have helped a certain problem you were having, I could understand that. Gaining extra ponies and other miraculous cures just are a bit over the top. If others that are looking in are ever going to join this forum, we have to deal with hard facts and not miraculous cures based on feelings. Over exaggeration shows others the mentality we are dealing with. This is an open forum where others can see what's going on in here and most looking in will never join if we are dealing in miraculous cures.

And you Firefly don't be sooooooooooooo childish/immature. My bike is running great with NO miracle additives.

mikemax04 said:
And you Firefly don't be sooooooooooooo childish/immature. My bike is running great with NO miracle additives.
WOW.....I've seen this before..... I just hope this doesnt turn into a yahoo forum type thing.:bash0000:

Dreamster66 said:
WOW.....I've seen this before..... I just hope this doesnt turn into a yahoo forum type thing.:bash0000:

No, it won't. They both know what constitutes a proper post and I'm glad to see that they are both keeping it civil. Besides, nothing like a good debate to keep things lively on the forum!

Dreamster66 said:
For all those that want to participate in firefly's fantasies, go for it. I've been dealing with his bull now for over two years and have yet to see anything he himself created/put together or was of any REAL benefit on either forum. We are still waiting on his front fender spacer he made himself, the little fan on top of his air box, taken from a computer or such, that was supposed to work like a super charger. The spirals in the down tubes, the air horn he installed, the head light modification that's still on hold for ? reason, the tires he bought that didn't work out and gave away, the much bigger tires for his supposedly BMW where he lost $4K because he is the tire expert and knows better than BMW what would work better. Any fool knows that putting bigger rims & tires on a car only makes it more unstable because the vehicle was built for a certain size rim. Vehicles that come from the factory with bigger rims were engineered for that size. Or how about changing one size on his front tire all of a sudden made the potholes disappear and the RR tracks smooth out? Another miracle?

Hey, all those that want to play in the sand box with him are welcomed to do so. For those that want to deal with reality, want information that will benefit them and not spend their money needlessly on miracles and voodoo cures, deserve another opinion so they can judge for themselves which way to go. No intention of bashing here and the Yahoo site being what it is, there are still those on it that know what they are doing and know when they are fed a constant line of wishful thinking from someone that has absolutely NO mechanical ability, NO hands on experience and NO idea what would work and what wouldn't. All those that were going to get their bikes painted are no doubt very happy with his skills and should show their chosen design for all to see. You can run to his defense but there are NO lies or exaggerations in anything I have stated. Just be careful who you listen to and check their accomplishments before you follow their lead. If one person has the right to spread bull, another has the right to challenge it. He has some good ideas on the workings of the forum, but not on motorcycles.

I know Ibrahim.............get over it.

What Oil Weight & Type?

Sorry, I'm a n00b. I tried a quick search and found nothing.

What wieght and type of oil are you guys running? The guy I bought it from said 20w40 but I've never heard of it or seen it. Would I be OK runnin' 20w50 Mobil1 synthetic? :hmmm:

Thanks in advance,
-Brian-

Latest posts

Back