Front springs only?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
I am interested in replacing the springs and the shocks with aftermarket parts. My question is.... has anyone replaced the springs only? How does the bike balance? I will eventually get shocks as well but the cost is more than I want to pay out now. As a side note, I currently plan on using Progressive springs. Is there a better company?

Redux said:
I am interested in replacing the springs and the shocks with aftermarket parts. My question is.... has anyone replaced the springs only? How does the bike balance? I will eventually get shocks as well but the cost is more than I want to pay out now. As a side note, I currently plan on using Progressive springs. Is there a better company?

I've only done the front so far with RaceTech springs and emulators and its a great improvement over the stock suspension. Handling wise is great but I'm also running radials, which I think is the best handling mod that I've done. I plan on doing the rear shocks this year.

I'm going to have to wait on the radials. That is SERIOUS money. I will get the ME880 tires when the OEM ones are worn. Everything I've read about the 880's has been really positive.

Redux said:
I am runing racetech 1.0 rate springs with 2" lowering blocks.!.0 are the stiffest about 2 1/2 stronger than stock.progressives are one spring fits all where racetech's come in alot of different rate according to your weight and riding style(2 up etc.).I did not go with the emulators.I just wanted stiff and low. Shawn

Redux said:
I'm going to have to wait on the radials. That is SERIOUS money. I will get the ME880 tires when the OEM ones are worn. Everything I've read about the 880's has been really positive.

I did the racetech springs and emulators with one inch internal lowering and I am very pleased with this mod, looking back to before the radials 17 , the front suspension is the first to do !!!

Much more control in all situations, less front dive , firm shock absorbing without bouncing or bottoming.

When ordering the rear shocks from Works, the guy I talked to basically said that drilling holes like when installing racetech then use works, progressive or racetech springs that are correct for your weight and riding style, I am sure some have done it this way , ask Mario maybe he can help.

In my opinion the emulators are important for more controlled / adjustable ride.

Lowering the forks internally makes the forks firmer
By increasing the overlap, as per Oldman,
while lowering from the triple doesn't have that effect which makes a big difference in handling by reducing lateral movement in a bump duing turning.
My 2 cents smily is not available:)
Ibrahim
________
vapolution vaporizer

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I will definately look into those mods before deciding what route to take. I don't really need to make my Max the ultimate handler. I do want to lessen the hobby-horse effect tho. I still have the FZ when the need for speed meets mountain roads.

Redux said:
Thanks for the input guys. I will definately look into those mods before deciding what route to take. I don't really need to make my Max the ultimate handler. I do want to lessen the hobby-horse effect tho. I still have the FZ when the need for speed meets mountain roads.
Redux,Racetech gives vmoa 25% discount on springs,lowering kits and emulators.My forks are the old style small ones and after lowering and putting springs in I really like the improvement.I also no longer use any air,Holes are sealed up.I only wish I would have put 15 or 20 weight oil in instead of 10 but that is easy enough to change,I have the drain screws at the bottom. Shawn

i also did just the progresive springs on the front bout 2 years ago and best money for the bike. should be the FIRST mod done.
makes the front boocoo stiffer and use NO air.
will be getting some works rear shocks shortly as the wife likes to ride and stockers SUCK

Redux said:
When money counts, buy just the RaceTech springs for your weight period. Progressive springs are on the stiff side. Had mine in for two weeks and took them out for the RaceTechs. If you are a VMOA member, they will give you a nice discount but make sure you get it.....they need to be watched.

I agree with what has been said here. And about the ME880's I think they are a nice upgrade. The best bet aside from getting radials

Latest posts

Back