Winter Project nearing completion.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osiris

Reaction score
I've been working on my 96 all winter. I've done most of the maintenance stuff such as changing all fluids , filters, and leaky seals and battery . I updated the shift segment. Replaced brake rotors and pads. Replaced clutch basket, plates and clutch line to SS, I rebuilt master and slave cylinders. Replaced starter clutch ( no fun there) . New exhaust ( the old ones had a bit of road rash). I also wanted to make this bike my 1st custom bike. So I custom cut my seat , replaced rear shocks with progressive 11 inch 444 series .( what a HUGE difference good rear shocks make.) I did COPS conversion. I added a Koso tachometer with shift light by speedo. ( where it should have been). Replaced grips , mirrors and shield. I also did a tail light swap for a led with signals , front signals were also relocated to mirrors. I had all my body parts with batwing fairing and hard bags repainted (Panther Black). The bags will be bolted on for longer trips. I did forward controls and I also prettied up the motor a bit. I also have a set of frame braces but my motor looks so pretty now it's a shame to cover any of it. Question for you guys Blacked out motor case cover or stock look on the motor? I'm just looking for other vmaxers opinions out there. Pics show both ways. I would like to thank you all again for helping with any questions or issues i may have had.(Thanks All) There are still a few more things in the works to complete the project , but with the nice weather I had to go for a few rides. It feels and looks like a completely new bike now and I'm having trouble controlling the urge to hop on her and see where she takes me . Happy and safe riding all!!

Attachments

• 20180523_185107.jpg
    20180523_185107.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180523_185202.jpg
    20180523_185202.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180409_121156.jpg
    20180409_121156.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180304_133544.jpg
    20180304_133544.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180523_185146.jpg
    20180523_185146.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180523_185041.jpg
    20180523_185041.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 66
Cool fairing! Do you have information on where that came from? I've been looking to put a fairing on my 86.

You've got a ton of good work done there as well. Awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I found the fairing on fleabay not sure of any info on it. I haven't seen another one for sell since. I have seen others with what looks to be the same fairing on the forum. Maybe they would have some info. The mufflers are supertrapps slip ons. I do have a set that are used I would be willing to sell fairly cheap. There is slight damage on the right side one but fully functional.

Looks great.. I just hand painted my busted up looking engine last week.

The previous owner really neglected the bike. After spending a lot of time getting the engine running right, I figured a little beautification is due.. lol

Your paint job looks way better than mine :eusa_dance: I was not looking for perfection by any means, but I did not like the extreme weathered look.

Question: What's the purpose of the ground straps on the left side of the cylinders?

Also, any reason you left one side cover all black and the other side dual toned??
Reason for asking,, I was going to paint mine black, yesterday, until I tried a little Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the little pie slice areas inside the side covers.
Since they came clean easily, I left them alone. (see photos)

Now I'm trying to work on the wheels and surface rust areas..

Before:
2 -Left Kleen - RustB - Etch small.jpg 3 -Right Kleen - RustB - Etch small.jpg

After:
4 -Left After small.jpg 5 -Right After small.jpg

Your motor is looking pretty good, and I like the way your side covers cleaned up. The ground straps were the before pic of my motor. They are called Hot Wires by Nology and they come with the strap. I went with coil over plugs when I removed the Hot Wires and old coils. I wasn't sure if I wanted to black out the the side covers so I did 1 to see how much I liked it. My 14 yr old boy says it looks tougher blacked out. I'm still trying to figure out which I like more. My front wheel was also a bit rough when I got the bike. I sanded all the chips and scratches smooth. Then primed and painted with Rust-Oleum ceramic engine enamel, I used the same paint on the motor. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice job! Godzillas motor has been brush painted, sprayed, PlastiDipped numerous times. I wish my engine looked that good.

Osiris, that’s a very sharp looking bike! Definitely a nice custom touch. Always enjoy seeing custom clean looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well it's a sad, sad day. Went into the store today and when I came out my bike was down. Not sure what happened but needs a lot more work now. Just when I thought I would be able to enjoy her for a bit this happens. I'm so disgusted right now it makes me sick.
29394f4db3b8cd7ebaab6c2474ba4f86.jpg
6fc16b6afa4900d438b40250b29cfe23.jpg
867ca3aed37ab206192507a6af914e7b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No cameras there. I live in a very small town. Only thing I have is a witness saying there was a red f150 that was next to me. Which would explain the little red mark on my grip and fairing opposite the side that was down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OH DAMN man!!.. That work was looking sweet.. It still is, but not you have to put MORE time into it.. That sucks big time..

Man I hope you can get some resolution to who did this. Going by what you found with the red scratches and the witness, chances are someone was not paying attention and swung the door opened fast, and tipped your bike over.

More-likely, they pulled a stupid back-up maneuver and their front corner clipped the bike.

If it's really that-small of a town, I'd go to the grocery store and look for a red pick up and try and match the corner of their truck with some damage, to your bike.

OH DAMN man!!.. That work was looking sweet.. It still is, but not you have to put MORE time into it.. That sucks big time..

Man I hope you can get some resolution to who did this. Going by what you found with the red scratches and the witness, chances are someone was not paying attention and swung the door opened fast, and tipped your bike over.

Latest posts

Back