wheelie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwkerr007

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello im new to the forum so hello everybody my question is is it normal for a 97 to have to make it do wheelstands i had an 85 a friend let me ride years ago and i could just throttle into it and it would just pull up smoothly my 97 i have to do about 4000 and let off and throttle back into it and it will go but it's not consistent is there something wrong with the bike or is the 85 just easier iv'e synced the carbs and it seams to run fine i'm putting a dd clutch setup in tomorrow cause the clutch does slip every once in a while but not all the time i chalked that up to the spring plate but it won't be an issue after tomorrow does anyone have opinion on this

My opinion...

The '85 and '86 maxes are just more powerfull than later models. Environment restrictions etc.

Last edited:
The 85 must have been tuned or in better condition. There are no hp differences between model years.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 85 was stock so i'm leaning towards rzs answer but thanks for the reply everyone and the fr4ont end on the 97 is heavier that may be a factor but i'll keep adding hp till i geterdone

I am confidend that the are differences.

I owned several maxes. 85 and 86 models are more RAW. Beastier. It is because exhoust emissions throughout the years where limited. Minor things like the inlet and outlet diameters andso. On paper they al are the same. But again, in my opinion, earlyer models are snapier

I am confidend that the are differences.

I owned several maxes. 85 and 86 models are more RAW. Beastier. It is because exhoust emissions throughout the years where limited. Minor things like the inlet and outlet diameters andso. On paper they al are the same. But again, in my opinion, earlyer models are snapier

Must have been red [emoji51]. Jk. Besides what you stated there was the oil filter change as well..

True on exhaust, Yamaha increased vboost size to compensate. Bigger forks, bigger brakes, and heavier front wheel make it a bit harder to wheelie.

85’s had different main jets too.

Mark

Front wheels are lighter.

That's what I've always thought was the reason. My 86's both wheelied easier then my 98.

I've had a stock '85 and an 03. They both seemed to pull about the same once spooled up, but the '85 had much better throttle response and part throttle power. Additionally, it seemed to hit harder when the vboost opened.

I know that the butt dyno is the least reliable, but the 85 was just more crisp. I also note that when the magazines tested the later years, the ET fell off into the 11's. Admittedly, that could have been for a lot of reasons - track and test rider included.

Front wheels are lighter.

That's what I've always thought was the reason. My 86's both wheelied easier then my 98.

Forks are bigger and heavier as well. The later bikes are heavier and it's mostly in the front end.

My 93 will carry the front wheel if I'm in 1st at 4500 and wack it.
This is with previous owner having air in the forks and "feels" like they are topped out.
I'm going to put my progressive springs in and "may" even help more as far as lifting front end.
I say this coming form having a hot street car that runs 10's and to maxamize weight transfer you need at least 5" of loose frontend travel!
It works! (see avatar or vid in sig)
So, my thinking with the progressive springs and no air (as I've read not needed) "should" help.
We'll see.

I've never had an issue wheeling any year. As noted the 85-92 forks/brakes are lighter then the 93-07's. The 85-86 wheels are a LOT lighter. The 85 stock exhaust was larger diameter but once you swap to aftermarket that doesn't matter.

My 2005 was probably the strongest gen 1 (stock) i've ever owned.

Sean

My '01 has always felt front heavy to me. Enough so that the few times I've carried the front wheel accidentally I always had a cringey feeling when it set down. That said I've never been big on trying to wheelie it intentionally.
When I did though it was usually clutching it up around 4-4500 as others said about, too.
Aside from the front suspension things mentioned above look at you rear tire pressure, too.
You might be right on with everything but spinning your rear tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back