Anyone Dual sport/Supermoto?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44boyd

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has a bike like this? Looking at the wr250x/r or drz400s/sm. They're not the most high performance I can get, but they have the least maintenance and are more affordable vs KTMs. I'll have the Vmax for my speed fix, these I can do a track day or go to the woods.

both good bikes and lots fun out in the trails. for sure nit as fun on open rosd but that's what you vmax is for. like tge ability to go on road ir off when wanted. I got a dr650....bit pig off but on nice logging or mining raods lots fun

I would lean towards a WR450F... fuel injected is awesome...

I would lean towards a WR450F... fuel injected is awesome...

If I could find one already street legal that'd be cool, but they're usually in the price of the KTMs which I'm trying to avoid. Something about laying down a $7k plus machine. I can get the drz or wrx/r for $3-4k and won't feel bad dropping it in the woods or laying it down at Jennings GP. I deploy next week to Bagram, so I'll have plenty of research time. I'll have funds for a maxgasser for the Vmax, so researching what could be bought for the dirt bike will keep the monkey alive while I'm gone.

I ran a Supermotoed XR650L for a while, not my dream bike but still a blast nonetheless. Unbelievable how well it handled in the tight twisties. Would barely make 100-10mph in the straights.

I regeared it, stiffened it up and lowered it about an 1.5", put street rubber on it and never looked back, definite hooligan machine, would wheelie on a whim and you could throw it around like a $2 whore and it would never complain or scare you.

The only reason I converted it was cause I'm almost 50 and hitting the ground HURTS, and if you ride dirt hard you WILL hit the dirt. After a couple of 1-2 week sore as fuck spells I supermotoed it cause riding on the pavement wasn't nearly as dangerous for me at least.

My dream bike would be along the lines of a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 or Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 or 1200

I know those aren't "true" Supermoto bikes but they fill the need and still make adequate daily bikes.

I've ridden the purpose built DZR400 and in my opinion its a little weak, have ridden a few of the WR450 converted bikes and if you really want something like that, stupid fast and stupid lightweight, you'll have to build it.

The KTM's are a sure bet if you don't want to build one I think. They build some nice stuff. Husqvarna built some nice big bore supermoto's too, the 610's, but I think they dropped them due to poor sales.

A Supermoto bike is the funniest form of riding I've ever done, including the Vmax.

I rode that Supermoto yamaha made, the 250, and its just TOO damn slow.

If I could find one already street legal that'd be cool, but they're usually in the price of the KTMs which I'm trying to avoid. Something about laying down a $7k plus machine. I can get the drz or wrx/r for $3-4k and won't feel bad dropping it in the woods or laying it down at Jennings GP. I deploy next week to Bagram, so I'll have plenty of research time. I'll have funds for a maxgasser for the Vmax, so researching what could be bought for the dirt bike will keep the monkey alive while I'm gone.
Would love a KTM... just always too pricey. WR's can be got all day long for $25-3500 street legal (here in Washington). I was actually looking at one when the wife bought the Vmax for me.

If your looking to do mostly grenn lane (off road) go with the 250 as it is lighter but has enough poke to go up grades 2 stroke is much better than 4 in my experance of MX?Enduro bikes If your going to be doing street riding i would go for the 400 and above 4 stroke and if you want to shit your pants get a CR500 2stroke pulls your arms out great thrill though just my view though

I've an FMX650 (basically an XR650L with supermoto plastic) and it's great for playing around on
but, it'll olny reach 90 on the main road before running out of wind and it doesn't have the knobbly grip you need for off roading

IMAG0175.jpg

I have a few supermoto machines , all bikes seem to have there flaws encluding the KTM's , right now I have a 2012 690 Enduro R convert to supermoto ... still put lots of money into the bike to make it run right , there corked up from the factory thanks to the EPA I did a custom ignition from Austrailia along with Akrapovic exhaust .... the bike would back fire once it got hot and would blow off the throttle body , bikes great now ... nothing shit load of money fixed ... great bike but was not worth the trip .
Love the DRZ400 SM , too bad its a 20 year old bike with a 2013 price .... I would have figured they could have gave it fuel injection when the brought it back this year ... not the case , instead they gave it gay blue rims .
Still with a minimum investment of a flat slide carb and a exhaust its a great machine you can whoop one a it just takes it ... I had 25k + on mine before I sold it and its still buzzing around .
WR series is a great machine , had a street titled 450 and was just a beast , still required fine tuning in the clutch area and exhaust . As for the wr250r ... i really like mine , its mostly used offroad , its a little under powered for my liking but keeps me out of trouble , fuel injection is awsome , as someone else posted the clutch can use some work ... good solid machine .
Just my 2$

Was wondering if anyone has a bike like this? Looking at the wr250x/r or drz400s/sm. They're not the most high performance I can get, but they have the least maintenance and are more affordable vs KTMs. I'll have the Vmax for my speed fix, these I can do a track day or go to the woods.
I DO!!!! I race XC as well. Used to race MX, and also Supermoto. Right now I have my Max, an RM250 set up for woods, and a street legal KTM 525sx...yup, that's right a street legal, and ridden moto cross bike. FUN!!!!! I have both dirt, and super moto setups for it. Before this one, I had a Honda XR 250, also street legal. That bike was a blast in the bush!! GREAT BIKE!!! YOU NEED TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE BIKE. Any bike you choose, is going to be a compromise in some area. My XR 250 was a great bike in the woods. It was reliable, powerful enough, and light. It was also a pretty good bike on city streets, when geared for it. I live in the country, and riding the bike on open roads at around 60mph, I didn't like doing. I got the 525. That thing is awesome on the roads. Wicked in supermoto trim. In the woods however, this thing has way too much!!! It WILL hurt you! A DRZ 400 is a decent bike on the street, and roads, but in the bush, it is a heavy, under powered beast! Even at track days the 400 is under powered. The older DR 350 imo is a better bike. Same power, lighter, and more off road capable. A WR 250 is great in the city, great in the woods, but on the road, and track you're wringing it's neck. When you have a bike that is only in supermoto trim, such as the DRZ400sm, or the WR supermoto, you are limited to the road only, and you WILL want dirt wheels, and tires for it. I hear it all the time. My suggestion is, is to get a bike that has both wheelsets for dirt, and supermoto. If you can only find bikes with one set of wheels, then choose the one with the full size wheels, then purchase a set of 17 inchers later. The full size wheels can do it all! They do work good on the pavement, even with full DOT knobbies, and you can venture into the woods, and onto gravel whenever the urge arises. There are lots of options!

Depends on the bike but I allways found it was cheaper to pickup a set of dirt wheels than a set of supermoto wheels .
There are a few companies out there making 17" knobbies , I seem to like the avon distanzia but are useless in deep mud .

Depends on the bike but I allways found it was cheaper to pickup a set of dirt wheels than a set of supermoto wheels .
There are a few companies out there making 17" knobbies , I seem to like the avon distanzia but are useless in deep mud .
True, but at the same time, if you want to do a track day, mount a set of 18-19/21 street tires on your dirt rimes, and go have fun! When I raced SM, it was sportsman class. Stock wheels, and brake rotors/calipers were the rule. I ran Pirellis, and man could you corner! The tires after a heat would be blued, and slightly peeled, and the brake rotors black,and blue! In the sportsman classes, brakes were a bigger problem than tires. The highest temp. brake fluid was a must, as you would boil anything less. I ran a bigger master, as that was not stated in the rules. My buddy actually got his fluid so hot one time, that his braided line melted into his number plate

Back