02 v-max down hard HELP!?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplemango

Reaction score
was riding the other day and the vmax died lost power, sounded like a flat tire was inside my engine pulled over and wont start, turn over nothing. no oil leaking, never overheated, didnt sieze up. called the dealership and guy said its the timing chain or jumped timing. anyone have any idea how bad of shape im in? how hard is it to replace the timing chain? they quoted me 17 hours labor at 75$, so thats out of the question should i be looking for a new motor? thanks for any info in advance

Sounds more likely it did hurt the motor. Do an oil change and see if it looks like you are panning for gold. I've got 2 good trade in engines right now (97 and 86) as well as a couple of the 1300 venture conversion engine cores we build.

Sean Morley

I did forget to mention. I have personally never seen a vmax engine that had a chain problem. The tensioners work quite well in these engines. Not saying it isn't possible but just not likely. I've had everything from cams break, to transmission failures, to spun bearings, to complete block disentigration and never had a chain break or skip time.

If the oil is clean you can go one step further and pull the pan. Exhaust has to be removed but it's easy after that. Have you tried to restart the engine?

We did have a crank break the end off where the flywheel was. Of course it won't do anything after that since there is no signal to generate the spark. That crank had been repaired too (not by us) so I can't say I've seen it on a stock engine either.

Sean

I tried to restart it but it wont even turn over no starter noise either just a click, click, click, clunk. the motor is all stock i belive, i was cracking wheelies right before it happened could this have caused damage? didnt bounce it off the rev limiter or anything though. how much would a trade motor/ 1300 kit cost? thanks so much for your help, im having withdrawls from riding....... love that bike

Yes, email me direct and I'll try to send a sample build sheet for you. The 1300's work great and are cheaper then actually rebuilding a blown engine by the time you add crank/rods and fixing the block that almost always gets messed up.

Sean

Back