help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemax

Reaction score
O.K.

I have an 06 max with 8500 miles on it. I just replaced the starter clutch. When I replaced it I noticed that the fly wheel face was dinged up a bit. I wasn't sure if I could resurface the face and put a bigger shim on it. I chose not to resurface the face and I think it just cracked again. Any help would be much apreciated. :bang head:

O.K.

I have an 06 max with 8500 miles on it. I just replaced the starter clutch. When I replaced it I noticed that the fly wheel face was dinged up a bit. I wasn't sure if I could resurface the face and put a bigger shim on it. I chose not to resurface the face and I think it just cracked again. Any help would be much apreciated. :bang head:

Damn dude my 06 has over 21,000 miles on it. And I have yet to have a problem with the starter.
What are you doing to that thing?

O.K.

Sounds like bolts holding starter clutch in broke loose and chewed your flywheel. Weak battery is #1 cause to failed starter clutch. Troubleshoot your charging system and replace the POS stock battery when you can.

We've had good luck just sanding the area smooth (not trying to completely remove all the marks) and installing a new starter clutch.

Sean

When I pulled the starter clutch off it was cracked through the counter bored holes. I changed it out and stoned the high spots off and used blue loc tite on the screws. I put a cheap auto zone battery in just to get it going but I heard a big pop so I pulled the cheap battery and put the big gold wing battery in but I think the damage is done. All this after I took it to the dealership to have the carbs synched 3 weeks ago. The hack mechanic drilled the plugs out and let the drill walk into the carb housing. It ran fine for a couple of days but then it started running real rough. I did the shot gun and I started blowing the metal fillings from where the hack drilled the plugs out and did not clean the chips up. I am now getting blow back through the carbs and back fire through the pipes. My Max is in bad shape I have not rode in 3 weeks.

:bang head:

Attachments

• gh 3rd street house kennedy-Jill 203.jpg
    gh 3rd street house kennedy-Jill 203.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Misc summer 08 036.jpg
    Misc summer 08 036.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20
Dude, you need to post your shop under the "Shop"review area or post it here so we can all avoid it like the plague.

Damn dude my 06 has over 21,000 miles on it. And I have yet to have a problem with the starter.
What are you doing to that thing?

Wow, Cowboy, I thought I was doing good @ 8,000 Miles on my 06. Nope, No issues with starter, Did replace stock battery after first season. pc680 filled the ticket just fine.

Take Care

Chris Hansen

Back