What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a new battery in the 96 (Panasonic knock off) and tested out the new COPs and Dyna. It was nice to ride it after it sitting for almost a month. Time to sync the carbs. I think it's due.

Let the bike warm up till the fan kicked in.. Temped all cylinders.. The front 2 were about 216 degrees and the back two were around 212. Noticed that the two sides of the cam covers were at different temps. Found that a little strange. I friend said I actually should have temped the bike before changing out the plugs, just in case a defective plug could be the cause of the extreme heating, then re-run the test after they've been changed. I DID find the #2 and #4 plugs kind of loose. I barely had to put any force on the ratchet to back them out. I torqued down the new ones and will check them periodically.

Could a defective plug or loose plug cause extra heating??

Let the bike warm up till the fan kicked in.. Temped all cylinders.. The front 2 were about 216 degrees and the back two were around 212. Noticed that the two sides of the cam covers were at different temps. Found that a little strange. I friend said I actually should have temped the bike before changing out the plugs, just in case a defective plug could be the cause of the extreme heating, then re-run the test after they've been changed. I DID find the #2 and #4 plugs kind of loose. I barely had to put any force on the ratchet to back them out. I torqued down the new ones and will check them periodically.

Was the temp diff on the same cover or the rear cam cover was warmer/cooler then the front?

4 degrees? I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I rode to OKC of the yellow Vmax and back home (about 150 miles round trip). Had a great get together with Lotsofkids. Cool guy.

Turned out to be a pretty good day.

Threw the freshly rebuilt carbs on the 88 I'm putting together from my dad and couldn't be happier with the initial results. Still need to throw a new tire on and take it for a spin. Synced the carbs on the 96 while I had the Carbtune out. Hadn't checked it since I bought it and #3 was way off. Interested to see how it feels now.

Dont forget, when you are temping the cylinder head, you are getting the surrounding temp (heat transfer from the engine), as well as the fact the head has coolant running thru it. A REALLY good place to get the temp is about an inch coming out of the exhaust. Then you are getting closer at the temp of the exhaust gas. Of course, doesnt work with the stock head pipes......they are double walled.

Did a 300 mile trip, was a beautiful day for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to swap a spare rear wheel o to the 88 max since it had a good tire. I figured out why the P.O. never put it on, the dang race for the needle bearing was really stuck. Someone had already beat the piss out of it and cracked and chipped off any useable hitting surface. After 30 minutes of struggling I whipped out the welder and threw a few beads on to whack and popped that thing right out. I was able to carefully remove the good wheel bearings and seals from the other wheel. Just need to repack and reassemble. Getting ready for bed don't think I'll be able to sleep I'm so excited to ride the 96 to work after syncing the carbs.

Took the front tire off. Such a bear to get off. Then removed the rotors. Was scared I would strip out the bolts like I did the rear. Got them all out. Now to put the new tire on.

And received the used set of 4-2 Dale Walker. Hope to get them on over the weekend.

Well I've been busy and finally done with the rear of the bike.
This is the Custom Led Grom tail light the sneaks under the grab rail.
It's VERY well made AND made rt here in NJ! :eusa_dance:
I had to make 3 - 7/8" holes in the plate and removed the black support.
I also made a bracket out of aluminum to hold it in place.
It's VERY bright AND it does 3 quick flashes then stays on high when the brakes are applied!
Signal are in it also.
What do you think?
I don't know why they come up sideways! :bang head:

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpg
    IMG_2713.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 28
Few more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 29
Got the radial tire on. New rotors front and rear. Next the 4-2 hole shot exhaust.

Rode to Watkins Glen today. On the way there on rt 414 there was an accident, involving a bike from the pack ahead of us. Didn’t look like he made it, but there isn’t any news on it yet either. But what peaked my interest was a Vmax that joined for a few miles. Maybe a member here? Shit green color Vmax with yellow hand guards, and a yellow helmet to match them. Rides like an asshole, weaving in between riders. Sound like anyone we have on here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went for a little 15mi ride with my son while he was home from school this weekend.
He told me the new brake/signal tail light looks great and is VERY visible during the day.

Back