Are harness the same for all years?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulVmax

Reaction score
i have a 1986 vmax and i need a new harness my harness has crack in the insulation and it is in need of replacing now my vboost isnt working because of it

secondly dose any one have one for sale ?

I have a couple of them as do a few forum guys. You want 85-89. I do have later model harness's but you'd need other electrical parts as well which will drive the cost higher. I just recently swapped out my harness on my 85 for the newer one since my bike had some quirky stuff going on. Runs great now!

Another potential option would be to get the connectors you need and make your own repairs. Gannon (88Vmx12) sells all the required parts to do that with. He had discussed even making NEW custom made harness's at one point.

When I bought a new rev counter, I needed to spec wether it had a black or white plug, so that part there is two versions.

doesn't closed models have different wire harness ? i think there are wire harness that the part number starts 3JP and another 2LT what is the difference

I think those letters are also on the TCI ignition boxes - 3JP is the old analog ignition (85-89) and the other is the newer digital version that started in '90.

my bike is 86 before many years i installed wire harness with after 91. so i did with the cdi. the cdi which is not analog i just checked cause i have the bike in the living room is 3jp. but i know there are cdi with different letters too

So would it be best to put a newer year harness on if so what other componets would i need sean?

kyle if you do have one how much would you want for it and dose it work completly

i know for sure you have to change the cdi , in the pick up coill (the wires that come out from the cover) 85-90 has one "eye" but after 90 it has two "eyes" i hope you can understand what i call eye cause i don't know the exact term. here in Greece we call them "eye" and i think maybe the cluster instruments (temp - rpm -fuel-turn-oil -neutural) but MAYBE i am not sure for the instruments. Sean i am sure he ll know better and definetelly can provide you with what you need.

The main thing to watch out for are the differences between pickup sensors and TCI, thats 85-89 and 90+

I also wonder if there are differences in the switchgear connectors. Hazard lights, self cancelling indicators, even the fuel reserve switch?

But one thing to avoid would be a harness from a restricted Max, no boost wiring + restricted speed wiring from the speedo

He has to change the flywheel as well... not easy nor cheap... Its the full ignition group that need to be replaced...

k please give some light here. i just contacted i friend and as we talked, he told me that there is a cdi with yellow label on it with letters 1fk. it can be installed onley in 85-90 wire harness and it gives 10 hp more than other oem cdi's. i just found one in Greece and the guy that sells it says it very RARE . does anybody know anything about this ??

I thought 2LT is the engine type, my 89 and my previous 01 both had 2LT motors.
I understand that Up to 89 is the oldest ignition system, 2 point analogue, 90 to 94? Is 4 point , and onwards is digital..

I am contemplating the task of making one i have all the crimping tools winter is nearly here so i might just make one depending on a cost of a other one other thing is the age of the other harness

k please give some light here. i just contacted i friend and as we talked, he told me that there is a cdi with yellow label on it with letters 1fk. it can be installed onley in 85-90 wire harness and it gives 10 hp more than other oem cdi's. i just found one in Greece and the guy that sells it says it very RARE . does anybody know anything about this ??

I think that was the model that had the factory carb chains.

Here's the breakdown guys for the 85-89 to 90-07 Harness Swap Requirements:

CDI (85-89US model has Gold Label vs 90-07 has Silver Label.)
Pickup Coil (85-89 has double vs 90-07 has single)
Flywheel (85-89 has two long lobes vs 90-07 has multiple small lobes)
Gauge Cluster (will swap but 85-89 harness for fuel light is different then 90-07 so must swap that out of the harness at a minimum). All physical gauges will interchange.
Sidestand Switch (85-89 has larger 2 prong white connector vs 90-07 has smaller 2 pin blue connector)
Starter Relay (85-89 has single bullet connector vs 90-07 has 2 prong connector). They can be swapped but requires some wiring modification to work. A jumper has to be installed on the later model if used on the early model.
Turn Signal Relay (85-89 has 12ish? pin vs 90-07 5 pin connector)
Sidestand Relay (85-89 has blue capped housing vs 90-07 has all black housing)

Items that fit ALL years:
Headlight
Taillight
Signals (Front's are 3 wire and rears are 2 wire)
Speedo
Sending units for coolant temp and fan control
Vboost Black Control Box
Vboost Servo
Fuel Pump Relay
Low Fuel Sensor
Clutch/Brake Switches (including rear switch)
Neutral Switch
Oil Level Switch
Horn
Fan
Vacuum/Pressure Sensor
Coils/Wires
Fuel Pump
Sidestand Diode
Main Fuse Block (above battery)
Voltage Regulator
Stator
Starter (90ish and up have better starters - identify by smooth barrel on the body with no phillips screws).
Handlebar Switch Housings Right and Left
Ignition Switch

I think that's about all of the OEM stuff.

IF, you swap to the Ignitech that Gary (Dingy) has helped us get (and I try to stock) then you can use that unit to run on either harness type with only a program change and adapter cable change. It can be configured to run the COP (Coil Over Plug) conversion without resistors. It can also be used to directly control the vboost and eliminate the vboost black box (which is starting to go bad with the ages these bikes are getting). Not to mention all sorts of other accessories.

i have heard again about carb chain. I don't know if something like this exists. i think it is a myth. i mean someone in this worldwide forum would have seen it.

does anybody seen this carb chain ?????

This is where the carb chains were first "discovered" :biglaugh:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14318

A guy was selling a Vmax with a hidden supercharger driven off the carb chain :worthy:

Back