1999 Clutch issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, maintenance makes all the difference. I don't think your fears about clutch life are going to amount to any real damage if it's holding now. You would have known right-away once you flushed things, and had it working, if it had worn friction plates.

It's only in high-mileage examples where you get worn clutch baskets, where the slots of the basket get ridges from the tabs of the friction discs. Mention was made in another thread about the owner blowing out the hose w/compressed air, and finding a sludge being expelled, the elimination of-which and fluid change made a significant difference for him, too. I like my heavy-duty diaphragm spring from PCW, ($70) much-cheaper than a Barnett alternative, roughly twice the price. Their 'half-disc (innermost friction disc) elimination kit' which replaces the narrow disc w/another stock one, and the h-d diaphragm, replaced in-conjunction w/the friction discs, gave me a greatly improved clutch function when mine began slipping. http://www.pcwracing.net/page10.htm

Yep, maintenance makes all the difference. I don't think your fears about clutch life are going to amount to any real damage if it's holding now. You would have known right-away once you flushed things, and had it working, if it had worn friction plates.

It's only in high-mileage examples where you get worn clutch baskets, where the slots of the basket get ridges from the tabs of the friction discs. Mention was made in another thread about the owner blowing out the hose w/compressed air, and finding a sludge being expelled, the elimination of-which and fluid change made a significant difference for him, too. I like my heavy-duty diaphragm spring from PCW, ($70) much-cheaper than a Barnett alternative, roughly twice the price. Their 'half-disc (innermost friction disc) elimination kit' which replaces the narrow disc w/another stock one, and the h-d diaphragm, replaced in-conjunction w/the friction discs, gave me a greatly improved clutch function when mine began slipping. http://www.pcwracing.net/page10.htm
Thank you for the info and the link.

Thank you for the info and the link.

If you call PCW, tell them you want:
  • OEM replacement friction discs
  • the 'inner half-disc elimination kit,' which is nothing-more than another full-size OEM friction disc
  • their heavy-duty diaphragm spring
  • OEM clutch cover gasket
All that ran me about $162 during this past year. They have good directions in their kit about what to remove in the clutch to fit the extra disc.

Thank you again. It's working fine now, and I believe in the adage "Don't fix it if it's not broken" so I'll just bookmark this for future reference.

For future reference Sean (One2dmax) will swap your used steel friction discs for bead blasted ones for a small fee if you don't wanna use a scotch brite pad on yours.

Latest posts

Back