When it rains, it pours.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
I've had the hot start problem for a while now and I decided to take the starter off and give it a better ground. When I cracked it open one of the brushed had burnt the commutator. Rather than trying to ground it, I figured I'd just clean it up a bit and put it back on and hope it worked long enough till a new starter arrived. It was getting to the point it didn't want to start even when cold.

Well that worked for about a week, yeah I procrastinated the ordering a new starter, then it stopped working completely. I started working 12-14 hours 7 days a week (more procrastination coming) so it sat for 2 more weeks. And I had to ride it, when I went to push start it the first thing I noticed the clutch seamed funny to me. I had to pull it about 1/3 the way in before it disengaged and I couldn't remember if it was always like that or not. At first I was like why the hell did I ride this brick every day for the past 6 months rain or shine. Then I opened the throttle up and the sound of the UFO Dragstar and the snap of the neck reminded me why and when I got home I ordered that starter lol So the next day I had to ride it to work, push it or not. Well after work I went to push start it and the clutch was gone and the master cylinder was empty. There was no puddles or signs of leaks. I luckily was able to bleed it enough with what I had to get it going and I had a 35 mile ride home. I mean it was a complete to the grip to get it to disengage but by the time I got it home I couldn't get it out of first gear at idle so I was lucky.

I ordered new master and slave rebuild kits but is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm there? Like something not included in the kits.

Thanks guys =D

Last edited:
I've only rebuilt my brake master cyl, the clutch master should be similar, my kit from Sean was very complete, if the hose is showing any signs of wear/age I would replace that as well..................Tom.

I've only rebuilt my brake master cyl, the clutch master should be similar, my kit from Sean was very complete, if the hose is showing any signs of wear/age I would replace that as well..................Tom.

Use an airhose to blow thru it to see if there is any obstruction/swelling, if so, as Tom/'Beekeeper' said, "replace-it." And, as 'vmaxrider85' said, you may remove any accretion/deposits/'mud' due to the fluid retaining water and combining w/other contaminants to produce a sludge.

And oil/lube the carb chains while you're at-it, or risk having your throttle stick wide-open, w/predictable disasterous consequences! Be sure to do that before you do the synch, so you don't screw-up the synch. The Morgan Carb-Tune has a carb-chain lubrication attachment in the premium edition. Beware using any-old solvent to clean them before you lube them, as the solvent could ruin the carb-chain o-rings, leading to premature wear and the aforementioned sticky-throttle, especiaally in damp or dusty conditions.

Last edited:
Congrats on the hours! Love to see people making that money!

The money is great but it seems like Monday every day of the week. I'm glad there is only around a month left of harvest. I actually had to talk a guy into switching me hours so I could have time to do the repairs on the old max.

I found the answer to my question "a gasket for the middle gear cover", it was in the tech section. To bad now is the time to do it and I have no gasket so I hope I don't tear it.

I was like wtf why have I never seen this technical section before! I think because when I first joined I had a question and this was where I seen the questions being asked so I did a "follow the noob" and joined in only to continue the tradition. Sorry guys now I know where to go.

on my 85 last year i blew all the brake and clutch lines out with air i also did the fuel lines and the pump what a difference i never had to rebuild any masters!

Back