Exhaust Slip ons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone recommend a slipon exhaust that keeps the headers and centerstand?

Cobra (lose HP)
Jardine
Supertrapps (best sound and performance)
Eagle (have to buy from England)

Check out the VMF links page for places to shop too.

The old Kerker slip-ons work too. And with dual comp baffles sound pretty dang good. I've got a really rough set (and a rough set of trapps) if you are interested.

Hindle (Holeshot) and Two-Brothers also made a set of slip-ons.

None of them will really gain you much HP. They will save weight and sound pretty good.

Sean Morley

When I purchased my VMAX the previous owner had the Cobra Slash cuts on.
I will admit they do have a low rumbling sound to them which IMO sounds good. But as stated before they are not for any increase in performance and it has been said you loose a little HP.
I replaced them due to I was looking for a performance increase. I wish I had them and I cant remember what I did with em.

Bill if you do decide to just go with some slipons dont rejet the bike first run it and than decide. You shouldnt have to REJET with just slipons.

Yeah don't want to rejet, and I'm really into the center stand. Old habbits die hard and I don't want to lose the center stand. I know with after market exhaust systems the ceter stand goes most times. Proformance for me is still amazing as is, I just want a little more sound. If I can get more HP great, but I want some sound.

sean, the two brothers pipes do sound awesome-problem is they dont make them anymore. i've got a set on my 89 and wished i could have got a new set for the 97. i called them and they said they no longer produce any pipes for the vmax. i just picked up an hmf system which looks similar to the two brothers setup it should be here by the end of the week. i've had the cobras on there since i bought the bike and its time for a change.

later odieoh24

ive never heard in person but for slipons the trapps sound best to me, i have cobras and my bike runs too rich

Actually, you don't HAVE to rejet for any aftermarket exhaust system. However, the slip-ons need more rejetting then a full header does. So if you want to get as simple a system as possible you would get a full header and not touch the carbs. If you want to get a slip-on you need to downsize the main jets for optimum a/f conditions (power and economy).

Sean Morley

Yeah don't want to rejet, and I'm really into the center stand. Old habbits die hard and I don't want to lose the center stand. I know with after market exhaust systems the ceter stand goes most times. Proformance for me is still amazing as is, I just want a little more sound. If I can get more HP great, but I want some sound.

Marks and Dale Walkers allow you to use the center stand. Dale's comes with a kit to make it work. It's pretty easy but I left it off and only slip it on for service work like rear tire changes and such. I have a paddock stand for my SV that I use on the forks of the Max too.

My Max came with stock exhast with the crappy holes drilled in the endcap mod,, gawd I hated that crappy noise, didnt sound good at all, just noisy. It also came with a non current set of cans form Walker called VORTEXs, which look pretty good, easy to install and still have the center stand. They were too loud so I made a set of stainless turndowns for the endcaps that knocked the bark down at low revs. I keep the stock system for any trips I go on, so I dont have to deal with out of my area cops.. Im fearful that sooner or later it will be big monsy illegal to have non stock exhaust on any bike,,, like in the Denver area. Anyone here can shed light on that stock only law there?

The old Vortex cans were actually made by Hindle and he rebadged them. Same for his old header setup.

Sean

Yeah Dale Walker NOW makes all his stuff and doesn't rely on anyone else.

I think he said his bro in law actually welds up the pipes too.

Dale makes DAMN nice stuff but it's pricey. Worth it IMO but we'll see come dyno day...:eusa_dance:

I love the supertrapps. The sound of the bike with trapps is one of the reasons I fell in love with the vmax.

i also had the super trapps before i went with the kerker header.i absolutly loved them.

I have a set of chrome Kerker slip-ons and they look good and sound pretty good. Just a little too loud for me. Don't care for loud pipes, just want a nice sound. I put a titanium Yoshimura Tri-Oval Zyclone "stealth" pipe on my Bandit. It was their quietest pipe and I thought IT was to loud.

Like the way the Kerkers fit. They come straight back (do not tilt up). Leaves plenty of room for bags on a trip. They have hex bolts attaching the baffles instead of rivets. Easy to swap baffles and re-pack when needed. They have a 1.5" and a 2" baffle available.

I put a set of Marving slash cut slip-ons on my '99. Nice deep sound, saved headers & center stand. They're made in Italy and available thru Exactrep in the UK, probably other places too. Pretty pricey, but got lucky and found a set on evilBay for $300. I backed out the A/F screws to 3 turns and she runs beautifully.

Dan
VMOA #5127

Latest posts

Back