Shifting Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
Now that I have 650 miles on her I have issues shifting. At times it's very hard to get her into 1st gear when I'm sitting at a light and I was last in say 2nd and didn't have room to downshift all the way back to first. When I do get in first in learches a bit. I did find my linkage needed some adjustment as the shifter was bottoming out on my footpeg. I adjusted it, and it seems better, but still having issues, seems like I either have to retry to find first at times or I find myself using too much pressure doing so. Never seemed to have this problem before. I have changed the oil at around 300 miles to 20-50W yamaha. Any info would help as I am getting a bit frustrated. Milage has been improving, going from high 20's tpo lower 30's.

Thanks for any insight. I remember having issues with shifting with my Katana and it finally just wore into place if there is such a thing.

I had same problems back when using Yamaha dino oil. I had good luck with Shell Rotella T diesel oil and also Castrol with Actevo motorcycle oil. The Actevo is pricier though.

Might want to check your clutch fluid too. Fluid might be dirty or you have air causing the clutch to drag.

Being how it's an 07 with only 650 miles on it, I would take it back to the dealer and make them fix it! Shouldn't cost you a penny!
Shifting was a little sharp and did lurch a little bit on mine at first but it softened up after a few thousand miles. 20,000 miles later I can hit neutral on the first try 99% of the time. And no problems shifting into 1st, what so ever. Only have a slight clunk when going into first at lights now.
But if yours is not going into first, definitely needs to be checked out.
Sounds like you might still have a little air in the clutch line. But I'm guessing at that!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out when you do get it fixed.

Yeah just sucks. Got my max out of state and the local dealer here is a pisser about not buying bikes from them. Guess I will have to shop for a dealer. Damn thing shifted great up untill recently.

Just tell the dealer you just moved here and your looking for a "Good" Dealer to do business with, and if they do good work you may become a regular customer!
Have you tried bleeding the clutch a little? Like I mentioned earlier, you may still have a little air in the line.
Find a piece of tubing to put on the bleed valve, clutch fluid is a great paint stripper, so be careful.

Just haven't had much luck yet with my Vmax. I do love to ride it though.

Bill:
Maybe the difficulty with shifting is from your bum left leg when you got nailed with a rock last week.:rofl_200:

I would go back to the dealer and DEMAND THEM to give you a 2009 Model since you are having so much trouble with this one. Also tell them the paint is peeling from the cover and you want a replacement NOW!!! If not your going to bring back the local news camera crew on your next visit.:rofl_200:

Bill:
Maybe the difficulty with shifting is from your bum left leg when you got nailed with a rock last week.:rofl_200:

I would go back to the dealer and DEMAND THEM to give you a 2009 Model since you are having so much trouble with this one. Also tell them the paint is peeling from the cover and you want a replacement NOW!!! If not your going to bring back the local news camera crew on your next visit.:rofl_200:
Working on that 2009, hehehehe

Bled the line last night. Much better. Who would of thunk that there would be air from the factory?

Bled the line last night. Much better. Who would of thunk that there would be air from the factory?

I see your in Troy NY....I'm in Corning....how far from Watkins Glen are you?
Lanes Yamaha in Watkins Glen are GREAT with the maxes (the owner AND his son own one....his son works on mine....the only one of few that I trust!)

Bill, If your into a small adventure, Maybe 70 miles. Get ahold of Larry Fitzgerald at LCR Performance. He is rated as of the best Vmax Performance and builders in Upstate NY. He is located in gates NY.

585-458-8185.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZXeR9A8c4

One of his bikes being sold on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-V-Max-Yam...7341271QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50047QQcmdZViewItem

I had the dealer do the first 600 mile service and was so put off by the service department. I found LCR almost pissed myself at the Bikes he had there. What I cant do, he does and does it well.

Good luck.

Chris Hansen

After I put on about 600 more miles and switched to Rotella oil bike really shifts well, thanks for the heads up on the oil.

Back