Stock rev limiting?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Is there any kind of built-in rev limiter on an 85 max? Does the spark cut out near red line?

Ok - as I thought...

I'm don't usually run the bike all the way to red line anyway, but I did notice that I have some flub at like 9-9500. My suspicion is that it's a lean on the top. Will do a plug test to see.

The elctrical system usually gives up around 11,300 so it kind of does a little limiting there. The rods will wobble out the small end if you keep revving it over 10k with stock parts. modified parts will go higher but the bike peaks out at about 8500 anyway so a shift at 9500 is fine.

You can increase life expectancy a lot by installing my HD oil pump parts ($100) but the pan has to come off for that (which can be done in the chassis).

Sean

I wonder how accurate the tachs are in our bikes? I just wonder because I have had my tach at the limit a time or two. Last time I rode the max I ran my buddy with his GSXR 1000 and got a little excited and glanced down and seen the tach at 11 or 12k or whatever it stops at.:eek: I wish I had a rev limiter

I wonder how accurate the tachs are in our bikes? I just wonder because I have had my tach at the limit a time or two. Last time I rode the max I ran my buddy with his GSXR 1000 and got a little excited and glanced down and seen the tach at 11 or 12k or whatever it stops at.:eek: I wish I had a rev limiter

One of the reasons I finally ordered a Dyna ignition box.

That may be what I have to do. I just notice that your from des moines. I'm about 60 miles south of you

I live in Washington, so maybe we can all meet up in Eddyville some Friday night or Indianola for bike night.

Jeff

I'm going to need to do something...rev limiter/ shiftlight...as I keep shifting at the wrong time. :bang head: I'll probablly get Lankee's three guage cluster and then try to set up a stock speedo/ tach like Madmax (Hercules post in Lankee's "Aftermarket Gauge" post) this winter. I like the symmetry of having both upper guages the same.

Heck yeah like Jeff said, we'll have to hit up Eddyville!
It would be fun to take the max's to eddyville on a friday night and run them. I'm game

... about that rev limiter. Is there a cheaper way than the dyna?

It would be fun to take the max's to eddyville on a friday night and run them. I'm game

... about that rev limiter. Is there a cheaper way than the dyna?
I'm surprised that somebody hasn't made just a rev limiter for these bikes yet.

The sevice manual claims there is a rev-limiter built in but I haven't seen that to be true on my 99...I've had to at least 11,500 a couple of times by accident on missed WOT 1-2 shifts....

It's on page 46 of the service manual on Vmaxoutlaw.

here's an excerpt..

OPERATION
The following operations are digitally-performed
by signal from the pickup coil signal:
1.Determing proper ignition timing.
2.Sensing the engine revolution speed.
3. Determing timing for switching on ignition
coil (duty control).
4. Increasing ignition coil primary current for
starting the engine.
5.Sensing engine stall.
6. Preventing over-revolution of the engine.

I don't believe for a second tho' ...at least not on my 99

Love my Dyna 3000, rev-limiter works for sure on that thing...

Rusty

Back