2018 HD Fat Bob

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Redlne

Reaction score
I guess HD was getting tired of being shamed by the VMax and decided if you can't beat'em, join em. Although they have maintained the stupid flying C riding position through the use of forward controls.

$

Does it make 145hp.
Does it weigh 600lbs.
Does it manage 30mpg.
All questions i would ask.
Looks kick ass though.

600lbs +, almost 700 lbs
It makes just shy of 100hp but will make 120 lbft very low in the powerband
It will likely be in the low to mid 40 mpg range, high 30's ridden hard

Does it make 145hp.

The 114" makes about 101HP, and 119 TQ at 3,000 rpm. It's a monster, just a whole different kind than our beloved V4

Does it weigh 600lbs.

Does it manage 30mpg.

It manages 47 mpg.

Looks kick ass though.

I'm going to make the mistake of test riding one. I really like that H-D is abandoning the same old formula and taking steps to increase performance. It's about time.

But HUGE marketing screw up by naming everything a Soft tail and scrapping the Dyna name. They are unbelievably out of touch with their buyers in that regard.

I went to a local harley dealer last week and checked out everything. Some good looking bikes but HOLY S**T they are expensive!!

Too shiny for my taste but still good lookin!

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
$45K for a motorcycle!!! Street glides are nice but they are so common around here I think I'd want something different.

I forgot what model dyna this is but the guy said they don't make them anymore, this one is a used 2017 with only 1,200 miles on it and it has the 110 in it (and no it's not a CVO). But it's $17K!! Power wise that's probably as close as you are going to get to a vmax with a Harley. The dyna would be a fun bike for me because I try to ride to work as much as possible and that thing would be a hell of a lot easier to maneuver around than a street glide.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 20
I have to give credit to HD for finally stepping out and breaking the mold a little. I actually read the release articles about these rather than going "uhh, another "new" harley that isn't new at all, snore".

They're still expensive, but that's Harley. Indian's success has really put them on notice they can't just keep churning out same old, same old. I think HD did a great job with the styling on the new line. They're not so radical you don't recognise the Harley style, but with a much needed facelift. I like it. From comments under articles about them, a LOT of the "HD Faithful" very much do not.

But Harley's sales are slipping and their customer base of boomers is rapidly getting to the age where they're trading in their Harley for a Hoverround, so they gotta crack a few eggs and draw in fresh blood.

The TC110 engines were fraught with problems, especially once people start modifying them. Extensive internal work is needed to make them reliable and not a ticking time bomb. Also, they run hotter than hell.

I'm still hoping for a new Indian Four, be a nice slot in between the zippy little Scout and the big 111 powered touring barges. But that Super Duke GT is also tempting. All KTM's ass stomping power, without the silly pretense of being a "dirt bike" the adventure crowd insists on.

Too shiny for my taste but still good lookin!

The '18s are blacked out....saw the lineup today and they don't look half bad

$45K for a motorcycle!!! Street glides are nice but they are so common around here I think I'd want something different.

That is a CVO Street Glide, a friend of mine bought one exactly like it a couple weeks ago for $37 out the door, still lots of money...a normal Street Glide should be low $20k.

Yeah I know the street glide is a CVO , they are nice but that's serious money! A regular street glide's sticker (well the few I saw) was $29k so probably can get it for a little less.

From the specs it looks like a hell of a machine. But about 10x what i would want to spend.

Shit there was a $2500 beater vmax on my local craigslist... in the budget price range you couldnt even buy a r3 for that money... yet you can get a vmax brute.

Speaking of indian i had one pull up next to me at the light, good sounding and looking bike. Revved at me a few times and that was the last i saw of him ;-)

I do agree that H-D is generally expensive. But I feel like some people here need a reminder that the 2018 Vmax has an MSRP of $17,999 which is exactly the same price as that new Fat Bob we've all been talking about. And $2500 more than the entry level Street Bob.

Just a little food for thought.

It does look great and looks like they are torquey. Still an air cooled twin and still massively overpriced. Think of the bikes you could buy for less money. Of course the new Vtwin Venture is damn near 30k fully loaded. I just cant grasp how HD is getting such premium prices for these things and not real sure Yamaha can follow suit. You could buy a really sweet competent machine for a fair bit less.

You have to remember there is a Harley "culture" as well. They are great at marketing...kind of like KIZZ, decent music but one of the most valuable brands out there due to marketing.

Back