COPs info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only problem is that 750 coils are longer than 600 or 1000 ones, even hayabausa has short type. Easier to remove

Wrong-
The GSXR 750's are mostly 129700-4400 those being the short ones.
The GSXR 600 are mainly 129700-4800 those being the long ones.

oh...and just as a follow up, I'm running the newer (onboard programming) Dynna with Gannon's COP's kit...It's been a reliable package for a handful of years now...

God I hate my user pic!!! I have Sean's tailight on it now and it looks a 1000% better from the rear...

Sorry...just venting to myself...:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Can someone confirm whether the newer Dyna 3000s (the ones without the toggle switches on the back) require resistors or not? I know the older toggle style did require resistors.

Just to make sure that everyone is aware, Bill Sewards CDI gave out at the end of this season. May not be a bad idea to install resistors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bills lasted a hell of a lot longer then anyone else's has and is 30 years old. I don't think it's got diddly to do with the COP's.

Sean

Just to make sure that everyone is aware, Bill Sewards CDI gave out at the end of this season. May not be a bad idea to install resistors...

Well the 30 years and 130000 miles might have had something to do with it too.

All,

This is the response I received from Dynatek on the newer Dyna 3000. I asked whether the newer units required resistors if running COPs. So does anyone know the resistance rating on our COPs?

Hello Don.
The V-Max ignitions, stock or aftermarket, such as the Dyna 3000, require a
coils with a primary ohm rating of 3.0 ohms. If, for example, the coils you
have were rated at 1.5 ohms each, each coil will require a ballast resister
with a 1.5 ohm rating to achieve this 3.0 ohm value.
Thank you,
Larry Nelson
Technical Support
Dynatek
1-800-928-DYNA (3962)

What he said is no news. And he is partially wrong, there are units that handle the lower resistance coils which Dyna is not one of them. the standard COPS are around 1.2-1.5 Ohm iirc. Stock coils are around 3 Ohms (the value can fluctuate a bit around this figure). That's why many people when using ignition units that cannot handle the lower resistance coils go with 1ish Ohm resistances in series like he mentioned. The only downside is that they have to be power resistors to handle the current without burning. IIRC 20w was a conservative number.

Turns out it was not his CDI it was his sidestand relay.

Yup. Removed the obviously burned out relay, and all is now well.. The relay actually smelled burned out, and looking inside confirmed it..

And thousands of miles later, it still is running great. Never bothered replacing the relay...

Latest posts

Back