Updating Headlight & Turn Signals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi.I'm new to the Vmax and want to get a more modern looking headlight and turn signals for my 2004.I'd like LED and hopefully something that performs better then stock.I have done wiring before but I would like to get something that is fairly easy to install.What is everyone using?

Great forum by the way.

Thanks

Hi.I'm new to the Vmax and want to get a more modern looking headlight and turn signals for my 2004.I'd like LED and hopefully something that performs better then stock.I have done wiring before but I would like to get something that is fairly easy to install.What is everyone using?

Great forum by the way.

Thanks

I picked up a LED H4 lamp that fit perfect in the stock headlight and installed a relay to bypass the amperage from going through the handlebar switch as to not burn it up. Basically the light gets the power directly from the battery with heavier gauge wire and the Hi/Lo switch controls the relay. The relay and transformer for the light itself together are relatively large so I replaced the coil packs with COPs in the front of the bike and "neatly" stuffed them behind the plastic. Hope this helps!IMG_2209.jpgIMG_2210.jpgIMG_2212.jpgIMG_2213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are either of the lights brighter or more noticeable in daylight,or at least as bright as stock?

Thanks

Are either of the lights brighter or more noticeable in daylight,or at least as bright as stock?

Thanks

From what other guys have said, even with just adding the relay brightens the stock headlight. Plus with that you won't have to worry about replacing with a higher wattage lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of Eastern Beaver relays in both the Max and Roadstar. On both machines, the light got a LOT brighter. You are running a heavy gauge wire directly from battery to bulb through the relay. This cuts out all the wiring on the headlight circuit. All the headlight switch does is trigger the relays. In case you need more output, the heavier wire through the relay will allow you to run a high wattage bulb. I would recommend you replace the socket with a ceramic one if you get a high watt bulb. They do get hot! I'm running a Hella stock wattage bulb, and it is amazingly bright.

I picked up a LED H4 lamp that fit perfect in the stock headlight and installed a relay to bypass the amperage from going through the handlebar switch as to not burn it up.

I understand the reason for heavier gage wiring, especially if you want to run a higher wattage standard bulb but LED's don't draw anywhere near the same voltage. Why use relays & heavy wire for that?

I understand the reason for heavier gage wiring, especially if you want to run a higher wattage standard bulb but LED's don't draw anywhere near the same voltage. Why use relays & heavy wire for that?
I hope you mean amperage. I installed the relay before i decided i went the LED route. I still didn't like the way the halogen lamp looked.

Well I'm not an electrician so I do confuse terms from time to time...thanks for setting me straight. I read your post & took it to mean you installed the relay & wiring specifically for the LED lighting.

Latest posts

Back