New Battery? No spark?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
My bike died on me last month and the battery was flat and wouldn't charge.
Prior to this it had been running fine. I replaced the Yuasa 12v 16amp battery with BS 12V 18amp, which was of the same dimensions and a perfect fit.
Since fitting the new battery I have had a 'no spark' issue and the bike won't fire up. Tested everything and there is 12V where there should be. I have decided that the only cause is the CDi. Before, I order a new CDi, I just want to check that the battery I have fitted is suitable. Does this look like it should do the job. Here's a pic of the box it came in, the battery's on the bike!

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 20
here's another pic of the battery from the interweb.

Attachments

• battery2.jpg
    battery2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 17
Before buying a new CDI I would make sure all wire connection & fuses are good. Remove the seat & LH side cover this will expose the fuse box & most of the connectors, check each one. There is also a safety circuit relay located near the steering head on the LH side.

I thought I had a bad TCI unit on my 85. Turns out it was the side stand relay. Not the switch, but the relay. This let everything operate but the ignition. On the 85 it is s simple fix.. Unplug it. Bike fired right up. However I did lose the sidestands safety function.

I don't believe it is as simple as just unplugging the relay on the newer models, but it's a place to start to look, at least.

I thought I had a bad TCI unit on my 85. Turns out it was the side stand relay. Not the switch, but the relay. This let everything operate but the ignition. On the 85 it is s simple fix.. Unplug it. Bike fired right up. However I did lose the sidestands safety function.

I don't believe it is as simple as just unplugging the relay on the newer models, but it's a place to start to look, at least.

On my '86 bike the side stand switch has been by-passed. If the relay was defective I thought this would have prevented the bike from 'cranking' the same as the kill switch? There's no problem cranking, the starter is turning the motor over. Can you tell me where the side stand relay is located?
I have checked all the wiring and block connectors and there is power and a ground at the CDi. The coils are fine also and I have un-interupted 12V to the coils when the key is on.
At the suggestion of another board member 'beekeeper', I used a test-lamp when cranking, on the wire to the coils that comes from the CDi . This should have produced a 'pulsing' of the lamp, but it didn't. The lamp just remained lit.

On my '86 bike the side stand switch has been by-passed. If the relay was defective I thought this would have prevented the bike from 'cranking' the same as the kill switch? There's no problem cranking, the starter is turning the motor over. Can you tell me where the side stand relay is located?
I have checked all the wiring and block connectors and there is power and a ground at the CDi. The coils are fine also and I have un-interupted 12V to the coils when the key is on.
At the suggestion of another board member 'beekeeper', I used a test-lamp when cranking, on the wire to the coils that comes from the CDi . This should have produced a 'pulsing' of the lamp, but it didn't. The lamp just remained lit.

Side stand relay is behind left scoop plastic control panel small blue box.

And unplugging it fixed the problem immediately. Relay went into trash, and was never replaced. Thanks to Dorney for the tip.

And unplugging it fixed the problem immediately. Relay went into trash, and was never replaced. Thanks to Dorney for the tip.

When your side stand relay wasn't working, would the bike still crank over. I didn't consider the relay as I thought it would have 'killed' the starter motor?
The starter is working fine on mine.
I've traced the continuity of the 12V from the battery to the CDi and from the CDi to the coils. There's power to the coils from the CDi, just no spark?

When your side stand relay wasn't working, would the bike still crank over. I didn't consider the relay as I thought it would have 'killed' the starter motor?
I've traced the continuity of the 12V from the battery to the CDi and from the CDi to the coils. There's power to the coils from the CDi, just no spark?
That would suggest the coils are bad then, maybe?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

When my relay went bad......the bike would crank, and crank, and crank, but no fire to the plugs.

I THINK that you can remove the relay on the 85-89 bikes and have it start, I THINK the later models will have to change out the relay and replace.

Look at it this way, the relay is cheaper than the CDI.

As suggested by some other board members, the fault WAS the kick stand relay.
Many thanks to all that offered advice.
Kick stand relay removed....bike running like a Swiss watch!!

As suggested by some other board members, the fault WAS the kick stand relay.
Many thanks to all that offered advice.
Kick stand relay removed....bike running like a Swiss watch!!

Glad that the fix was something simple....and cheap. This way your not out the money for a CDI.

Now that I have removed the kick-stand relay the bike starts fine. I took the bike for a ride yesterday and it dropped down onto just 3 cylinders. I checked and found that the front/left cylinder wasn't firing. On inspection, this was caused by a bad spark plug. I changed the plug and it's back on 4 cylinders again. Am I right in assuming that this relay doesn't have any other purpose? It was suggested by someone in another thread that it shouldn't be removed as it 'may' perform more than one function? probably a coincidence.

Looking at a European diagram, the starter circuit cut-off relay and the turn signal relay may share a common 9 wire-in plug for the 1985-1989 models. On that wire diagram, I don't see a sidestand switch shown, though. So, you have a 1990+ model, with a sidestand switch, which this particular wire diagram may not match. Do you still have a white adhesive badge on the steering head, and if so what market does it say the bike was built to meet the vehicle specs?

Back