Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
DO not attempt starting the engine if the battery is weak because it results in the loosening of the starter clutch screws causing the starter clutch to go bad!

ODYSSEY PC 680 not the 680M, the M is for an extra metal jacket that is not needed for max application.

A link to the battery that fits max , I am currently using it and very pleased with its performance, I purchased it from that place, shipping was fast and the price is good

another battery that will fit is this panasonic.

A second link explains step by step how to change the battery so you know what will be needed.
http://imageevent.com/wforest/batterychange
firefly

Last edited:
Re: Vmax Battery replacement

I have detailed pics of a larger battery installed if anyone wants them. Considerably more cranking power than the other batteries (even the gell and no maintenance type).

Plus cheaper and available at your local sears.

Sean Morley

one2dmax said:
I have detailed pics of a larger battery installed if anyone wants them. Considerably more cranking power than the other batteries (even the gell and no maintenance type).

Plus cheaper and available at your local sears.

Sean Morley

Definately Sean!:banana: Include a picture and model and specs on the battery if you can. I'm slowly compiling all these types of posts into a mega VMax FAQ!

I ordered an oversize battery box from Exactrep and currently running a Goldwing size battery. Been using this setup for 4 yrs now with the same battery. I put it on a trickle charger overnight once a month and it starts first time, every time.

Here are a few pics. I have a lot more of them available.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• Battery_Mod_-_Battery_compare_2.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_Battery_compare_2.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Battery_Mod_-_cut_off_2.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_cut_off_2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Battery_Mod_-_mounted.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_mounted.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,303

More Pics

Sean Morley

Attachments

• Battery_Mod_-_Redrill_Holes.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_Redrill_Holes.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 955
  • Battery_Mod_-_Start-Finish.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_Start-Finish.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Battery_Mod_-_side_view_l.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_side_view_l.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,037

last set

Sean Morley

Attachments

• Battery_Mod_-_side_view_r.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_side_view_r.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 752
  • Battery_Mod_-_Installed.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_Installed.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 951
  • Battery_Mod_-_Battery_compare.JPG
    Battery_Mod_-_Battery_compare.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 743

Moved to Electrical and stuck...

This is a VERY good thread! :thumbs up:

The larger battery is same as for 1990 GL1500 Goldwing Y50-N18L-A3

Here is a battery similar to stock battery specs:
Weight: 8.60 pounds
Length: 8.13 inches
Width: 2.81 inches
Height: 6.44 inches
Cold Cranking Amps: 200
Voltage: 12

Here is the larger battery in a agm version:
Weight: 14 pounds
Length: 8.13 inches
Width: 3.44 inches
Height: 6.38 inches
Cold Cranking Amps: 350
Voltage: 12

If I remember correctly the large Diehard regular acid battery is 44366 and has about 290cca or so with a 19ah rating. It runs about $55. They do offer a AGM version which lasts longer and is stronger too. I've been using the cheap laead acid battery for years and get 2-3 years or more out of them. The others last longer generally but cost quite a bit more. Of course no worring about acid level and even more power.

Sean Morley

The larger battery is same as for 1990 GL1500 Goldwing Y50-N18L-A3

Cheers for all the info, I fitted the larger battery this weekend :eusa_dance:

I bought a Yacht C50-N18L-A3 but it cost me almost €80, that's about $115 !!! :surprise:

And, how did it go? Fit well? Start Good?

Thanks for good info guys. Can anyone tell me what effects, if any, the heat of the headers might have on the battery?

If the heat is not really a problem and I'm guessing its not, would it be feasible to move the stock battery closer to the heat shield/headers and use the regained space closest to the fuel tank to increase the tank size and touring range?

Batterys

I Haven't started my bike in a couple of weeks, so I decided to give it a crank to keep the fluids going and the batt charged.

Ofcourse after the ticking and the Vboost cycling, I hit the starter button. Or as its now known the slow moving st-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tarter button.

After pulling my seat off to charge the battery I was thinking about the reviews you folks give the odessey battery.

Sooo, to make a long story short I can't find one local. where is a good place to get one?

I was thinking with the wait between riding seasons, (oct-may) it would be a good investment.

Re: Batterys

I Haven't started my bike in a couple of weeks, so I decided to give it a crank to keep the fluids going and the batt charged.

Ofcourse after the ticking and the Vboost cycling, I hit the starter button. Or as its now known the slow moving st-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-tarter button.

After pulling my seat off to charge the battery I was thinking about the reviews you folks give the odessey battery.

Sooo, to make a long story short I can't find one local. where is a good place to get one?

I was thinking with the wait between riding seasons, (oct-may) it would be a good investment.

muh muh muh merged with current battery thread...:thumbs up:

Absorbed glass mat battery-hwere to get it.

Time for a new battery.

Has /does anyone know who has the best price on an oddyessy battery?

I looked on thier website and I'm not sure they show an application for the Vmax; does anyone know which one fits?

also, I would really prefer the spiral wound optima batteries because of the larger plate surface area, but I "think" they don't make them for motorcycles. Am I correct in this or do I need to dig deeper?

Any input would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks,

Rusty

Latest posts

Back