1997 VMax Un-molestation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulrok

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I thought I'd share my un-molestation project for this vmax that I purchased. I purchased it at 20k miles for $2000. Not too shabby if you ask me.

There are a few things that I really need to do to fix it up, and get rid of the crap that the previous owners did. The idea is to return it not to stock.. but to a not junked up bike.

Mechanically it is pretty much solid besides needing a clutch (2/14/2017) parts will be ordered soon.

36474384540_0e215c0240_b.jpg

36474384560_85be5fc46e_o.jpg

Here are the initial photos of how it looks.

The black looks really slick, and I like it. The problem with it is that it appears to be a mix between spray paint, vinyl wrap, and plasti dip. So yep. A lot of stuff needs to come off for me to continue. I've started to peel the crap off but it will take time.. and currently I'm trying to fix other parts on it.

Later on I assume I'll sell the bike, or trade it for something else but for now it'll be a decent build.

Here is a link to my google docs with the list of parts I've purchased / still looking for.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p3vdqXCqV401Bzfric3U6AxMyRWZbJsCxEBjTowLIig/edit#gid=0

Last edited:
As stated on the other thread, Sean Morley is a great place to get new and used parts. The way to contact him is [email protected].

You can have the seat reshaped....because the "other" name for a corbin, is a corbrick.

Capt Kyle on this forum also has used parts as well.

Jon Harris was able to hook me up with the radiator side covers for a $77.21 shipped which appears to be a pretty solid deal.

I appreciate it a lot. I'm glad to get rid of these funky ... red ones. Holy crap they are ugly.

I'll probably end up using a vinyl/plastic paint to blackout the covers properly.

I paid £2,000 off a uk dealer of imports,when it arrived it was a sorry crock of crap.The forks are collapsed,rear ign coils are missing and the diaphrams missing from one side of the carbs.I have got a good deal on a powder coated uk registered frame though,now the fun starts.I am gonna post some pictures very soon,yours looks great compared to mine.ps i like your seat if you want to sell it let me know.

Going to upload a video soon of my project!

You guys have awesome bikes, and I look forward to seeing your projects progress as well. Share the link!

Last edited:
Good vid,please get rid of that music.

Statistically shown on my videos with music vs no music .. there is a longer audience retention with videos with music. More of my viewership (despite small) are in the 18-34 age range.

I generally look for no-copyright music, a lot of people make music and upload it to soundcloud. Then they only ask that you leave a link to their youtube/soundcloud in the description.

I've found that the younger audience will usually watch longer with music, and the older audience will watch videos more without music.

Just an interesting breakdown of how statistics.

Sorry you didn't like it though.

Here is an example of some of the music I use from a guy's soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/lakeyinspired

I do have another youtube channel that I used for strictly video games when I was in school.. haven't uploaded in a LONG time. It is pretty old, but has 324 subscribres, and 192,000+ total youtube video views. My current youtube that I've been uploading with more automotive / personal stuff I have 52 subscribers, and 23,454+ views.

Alrighty.

Everything is apart for paint now.. I just need to finish prep work. No reason to skimp, so i'll be spending quite awhile on it.

Also got a set of levers master cylinder set for the bike. I couldn't find OEM ones oddly.. I'm probably just blind. The old ones were leaking real bad, and the paint on them were awful. Decided to just ditch it.

36474384660_bda788c896_o.jpg

Yes, the piston size is the same as the original, and it appears that the reservoir is slightly bigger.

Lets see.. what else.. why don't I add some person stuff in here..

Todays my birthday (2/27) ..

I got stood up by a girl (2/26 evening) .. we had plans to go out for some drinks, and she ended up ditching me for a different friend.

My older brother is being referred to an oncologist, he is in the navy and I guess he had blood drawn for a physical. Something was strange in the results...

Kind of a sh*tty day. Just posting before I go to sleep.

Last edited:
Gulrok, prayers for your brother. Thank him for his service.
Happy Birthday!
Good looking master cylinder!
You don't need no steenking girl-you got a VMax.

Started working on paint today but it got cut short because of light. I started with the front forks, and the triple tree. Got all the paint stripped off, and painted 1 of the forks to see if I like the color first before committing.

I did, and then started to scuff it again for another few coats. I forgot to take photos of it.

For the forks / triple tree I'm using rustoleum enamel. Finish was smooth before I scuffed it for another few coats. Why did I scuff it you might ask? Because I let it sit outside of it's recoat range, so the paint pretty much cured into a nice smooth finish. No problem, I'd prefer the paint to be a bit thicker on the forks anyway because for sure there will be road debris that hits it.

I appreciate all the kind birthday wishes!

Good news is that my brother's blood test was further analyzed, and after talking with the oncologist they are not worried. They will just continue to monitor every few months for awhile.

... and the girl and I are probably going out tonight anyway. I got a sob story and an apology ...

No news on the bike however... but I will be posting another video soon. My painting project is going really well, and I'm excited to put the front forks back on soon.

Pictures my man!

Of the forks in particular as Im refinishing mine and doing seals etc.
Ill try Autosol first just to see how it goes.

I say make sure that girl is treating you with the respect we are expected to show them........

36474384800_3e45e088d3_o.jpg

Here are some of the photos. Painting isn't done yet obviously.

Ok - girl trouble time. Since I've started ranting about it here I might as well finish the saga. We went out to the bar last night. Had a pretty good time. Until after the bar.. where my best friend and I were talking. Well, the girl has been talking up taking me to the bar and paying and it'll be great for the last few months.

I've spent quite a bit of money on her as well. So it was kinda of a nice "She's going to pay me back" thing. She was fine paying even though I offered, and she said just leave the tip. Well I didn't have cash on me. I hardly ever carry it anymore. I pretty much only carry a credit card that I pay off every week, and a gas card.

She didn't seem upset, but I found out she was when she started complaining to my best friend... and he told me. Then we got into an argument over it. A few mean words were said back and forth and I'm pretty sure I've lost interest.

So, anyway you know what I like about bikes.. and why bikes are better than girls?

They're not needy. You don't have to worry about their feelings. They will never leave you on their own. They're not slimy, rude, or nasty behind your back.

Worst part about the whole girl problem is... that I work with her.

Ok ok back to bike crap.. sorry about girl rants. This is no place for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back