VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black letters "Yamaha" in chrome scoops

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find inlays for the "yamaha" lettering on the scoops. I am having my scoops chromed by Sean and I would like the letters to be black, paint is a option but not a very good one for me. Sean mentioned that someone might know where those inlays can be found.

Thanks
Ron

Re: Black letters "Yamaha" in chrome scoops

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find inlays for the "yamaha" lettering on the scoops. I am having my scoops chromed by Sean and I would like the letters to be black, paint is a option but not a very good one for me. Sean mentioned that someone might know where those inlays can be found.

Thanks
Ron

Do a search , there is a thread on this somewhere with an email address . :punk:

Re: Black letters "Yamaha" in chrome scoops

Yeah you really need to do a search before posting a new thread. I JUST started one a couple weeks ago that's VERY current. In fact I'm going to merge it right now...

It's also a sticky which means it'll always be on top in the forum...

I'm a newbie here as well, just got my Max a month ago! I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using something like Duplicolor's engine enamel spraypaint? It comes in a lot of colors and should hold up very well.

Love the site guys, you are a wealth of knowledge!

I'm a newbie here as well, just got my Max a month ago! I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using something like Duplicolor's engine enamel spraypaint? It comes in a lot of colors and should hold up very well.

Love the site guys, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Yup, I have and it works really well. So does good automotive lacquer. I just spray a little in a plastic cup and apply it with a tiny brush. Actually, if I do it again I'll prolly use a toothpick instead. 'Float' the recess with a liberal amount of paint and let it dry, that's it.

Of course, the scoop has to be level.

If the clear coat is left the paint can be chipped out later with a piece of plastic without damage or, if the clearcoat is in bad shape or you know you'll not be changing the paint color, sand the clear coat out and the paint will stick better.

danny

Hey does anyone have a pic posted with these scoop inlays? I contacted a seller and she has a "medium blue" and a "dark blue" but has no pics. I'd really like to see the difference between the shades. If you've got either of em, I'd really appreciate a pic. Thanks!

We had oil-based paint pens at the plant......

Like a paint Sharpie......

About a dozen different colors available......and fine or broad point as well...

We had oil-based paint pens at the plant......

Like a paint Sharpie......

About a dozen different colors available......and fine or broad point as well...

I went online to where i got my pens but they didnt have the right black but they reckoned it would be all good . Worse case senario you take it off with meths .

Yup, I have and it works really well. So does good automotive lacquer. I just spray a little in a plastic cup and apply it with a tiny brush. Actually, if I do it again I'll prolly use a toothpick instead. 'Float' the recess with a liberal amount of paint and let it dry, that's it.

Of course, the scoop has to be level.

If the clear coat is left the paint can be chipped out later with a piece of plastic without damage or, if the clearcoat is in bad shape or you know you'll not be changing the paint color, sand the clear coat out and the paint will stick better.

danny

Danny , have heard that you can use a syringe with the tip cut off . I must do mine ........

i just used a bottle of touch up paint i had. real simple to do and if u over do it who cares.. let it dry and use your finger nail to scrape it off. my supra is painted lexus graphite grey pearl. My bike is graphite/carbon fiber so i said what else but that color for the scoops :)

Paint Pens from any auto store. WAY better than the vinyl inlays (my inlays peeled off). The paint pen took 5 minutes to do both scoops and it is did a real clean, good-looking job

Make sure if you're using the inlays OR the paint that you strip the wax and or other products before applying. Best/safest way is with Dawn dish washing liquid and water. Wash thoroughly and let dry.

I've had the vinyl on for years with no issues.

I've had the vinyl on for years with no issues.

So the vinyl inlays have withstood the years of abuse your bike has seen (in storage in your parent's basement) and the thousands of miles? (3K or so) :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I couldn't let that one slide by. Not that I have any room to talk with my '06 that has 5K on it and hasn't seen the light of day for over 6 months unless you count me opening the garage door to take out the mower :rofl_200:

I bought the vinyl letters and liked them but after a years and a half they began to lose adhesion. As I had a set of multicolored leds i had an idea of lighting up the scoops. A machinest cut out the letters and a glass shop made up some windows to seal the openings and after epoxying and sealing them inplace I have a permanent cure. I n Virginia I can't use the lights while riding but at nite when parked they look very cool. If you click on my user name of docalyn you can see a photo of the finished product on my bike.

I used paint from a rattle can sprayed into the cap and dropped the paint into the letters. I filled the letters almost to the top of the depression, let it set up for a while then put in a pre heated oven (turned off) and let it dry in the heat. It worked pretty well, but I dare say a paint pen probably would do as good as job and much easier/ faster.

So the vinyl inlays have withstood the years of abuse your bike has seen (in storage in your parent's basement) and the thousands of miles? (3K or so) :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I couldn't let that one slide by. Not that I have any room to talk with my '06 that has 5K on it and hasn't seen the light of day for over 6 months unless you count me opening the garage door to take out the mower :rofl_200:

Ya prep is everything though... THAT was my point.

I've put vinyl on a lot of different things and never had an issue.

Just make sure you prep it right.

Chris

hahaha

Latest posts

Back