Sequential Shift Light Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing this shift light:

sld5.h1.jpg

http://www.caraddiction.co.uk/sld5.htm

But I am concerned about a warning in the instructions:

WARNING – The SLD5 shift light system is not suitable for capacitor discharge ignition systems where the green input wire would normally be connected to a coil negative terminal. However, if the capacitor discharge ignition system has a low voltage rev counter signal output, it will work perfectly.

I assume the V-Max does not have "capacitive discharge" ignition?

I know about the "Shift-i" from https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-i/. But it's more expensive, and I'm concerned about rain water seeping in through the buttons on the face.

Harlan makes a nice shift light thats around $90 or so if I recall. Its one bright light....

I am not a fan of progressive shift lights. It takes more time to watch it slowly light up, rather than one instant on reaction from something like a Harlan shift light.

Just two cents...

VMAX = CDI box = Capacitive Discharge Ignition?:ummm::confused2:

Vmax gen1 has a TCI. Transistor controlled ignition, That means that a transistor works as a release switch everytime the pickup by the flywheel sends it a signal. The coils are always charged with 12v until the transistor is triggered and grounds the primary on the coil which in consequence will release high voltage and low current on the secondary winding, which is connected to the plug and sparks (arcs)

Let us know how it works and how you wired it. I've been looking at the i-Shift also.

My new D.R.E. shift light arrived yesterday. It's a simple 3-wire install:
Red: +
Black: -
Green: Coil -

The question is, do I connect the green wire to the yellow, orange, white, or gray coil wire... OR gray wire on the tachometer?
I just want to verify before I mess something up.

Shift_light_connection_zpst9sad3lm.jpg

Alright... installed. I'm sick and it's still cold, so a test run will come later. All setup functions work perfectly.

Step 1 was to make a spacer that fits the flat light to the speedometer. I had a piece of hard rubber that I trimmed by hand. Then attached with strong two-faced tape:

Then the wiring. I used a connector and just added it to the gray wire on the back of the tach. It's a good time to clean the contact surface. Mine was a little corroded.
The only other two wires were positive and ground.

Something is wrong with the tach signal. I have no shift lights. All other functions work fine and the setup is right. Still displays 6,000 low and 9,300 high. There is a way to view digital RPM on top in real time, but it's just "0000" while running. Not sure, but looks like I tapped into the wrong tach wire. Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe I should go to the coil? :ummm:

Try using the 2 cylinder setting, that is how my Harlan is set.

That's strange. I set it on 2 cylinders and now it shows digital RPM. I just tested the bike and all the lights work now.

Thank you, Redbone!

Glad to help, it has something to do with that the Vmax has a wasted spark firing order or some other technical reason that's above my pay grade!:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back