Valve Cover Gasket Change - Step By Step

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Step 1: Buy a rope
Step 2: Hang yourself

Actually, just pull the engine out. It might be easier.
The inner cover bolts could only be accessed with an allen wrench. 1/4 turns at a time all the way out.
Then the timing chain pulled the new gasket off when I tried to install the cover over it, feeding it under the frame. Yeah, I had sealant on it which ended up all over my hands, cover, timing chain, everything.
Yuk.

Best way is to probably put sealant in the cover, install the new gasket, and wait a day for it to dry. Then install.

I'll agree they are a PITA, I did mine when I set the valves a couple of seasons ago, not the easiest job but doable with some patience................Tom.

Loosen or remove the vboost cable to gain clearance when reinstalling. I agree, let the blue gasket maker sit for a few hours before reinstalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change the valve cover gaskets when you have the wretched carbs out being cleaned.

I know your pain. Had to do mine a few months back. Same thing happened to me with the sealant going everywhere lol.

My front gasket was leaking a little so I figured I'd just replace them both. Did the front and that was it! I'll wait for the rear to start leaking before I replace it..... P I T A !!

Permatex hi tack spray helps with this job.

Spray the top side of gasket. Spray some in a cup and apply to valve cover groove with a q-tip or flux brush. Let it set up a couple minutes. Insert gasket in cover.

Apply a very small amount of yamabond in the half moon cutout on the cylinder head.

I did mine a couple years ago. Only noticed one leaking but figured I'd do both and check valve lash while I'm in there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Permatex hi tack spray helps with this job.

Spray the top side of gasket. Spray some in a cup and apply to valve cover groove with a q-tip or flux brush. Let it set up a couple minutes. Insert gasket in cover.

That's a very good idea!

Last night I re-applied sealant to the gasket, installed in the cover, and put on my [flat, wood] stool seat to dry. I put my floor jack and welder on top of it to keep some pressure on it while it dries. I should get a picture of it, but you can imagine how ridiculous this looks. :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back