V-Max #4 Purchased: Basic Maintenance / Mod List

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Like the title says, this is the fourth V-Max I've owned in my life. It's a 1993. I've nailed the throttle a few times and it feels much more stable than the 1999 I just sold. Strange.

Anyway, I'm doing the basics with limited funds. I've purchased:
- New clutch disk set and gasket ordered, but not required yet... but will be
- New valve cover gaskets (mine leaking)
- New iridium spark plugs
- In-line fuel filter
- COPs ignition caps and wires (from R6, making my own)
- Fresh engine oil and final drive gear oil change
- Will replace the air filter soon
- Ran a 1/2 can of Duralube fuel system cleaner through one tank
- New rear tire installed (old one was square and bald in the middle - no idea how that happens :biglaugh:)
- Carb synchronizer set is being shipped - will sync the carbs when it arrives

The only other mod I can think of that I would like to do is install Progressive springs in the front.

Reply with any other basic maintenance or mods you recommend.

A fork oil change, that's an excuse for new springs & cartridge emulators, RICOR's, or yss kit; a fork brace; SS front brake lines & HH pads (did you change the master cyl fluids?); crimp fix; remove/clean grounds; & replace the headlight w/something that will light the way.

I think F-M has a good list for you there.

Progressive springs and new fork oil is a great "bang for buck" mod.

I'd definitely look at your brake and clutch fluids.

Check the battery, if its not sealed, top it off with distilled water.

Front tire condition/date code?

Steering stem bearing check, grease, adjust.

Swingarm bearing check, grease, adjust.

Lube those clutch hub splines and pins that engage the wheel dampers with some molybdenum paste when you have it apart to change the tire.

Switch to a Shorai battery to loose 10 lbs, Eastern Beaver headlight relay or build your own, might not be a bad idea to check the lube on the speedo cable ends and shoot some lube down the cable itself, lube the throttle cables too, never hurts to take a look at the indicator and brake light bulbs for general condition of the bulb base and to get bulb numbers for replacement (first thing i do on any new to me vehicle is to always switch out those lights).

Back