Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome everyone!...............This is the place to be for all things you will need to know about the Max!....................Tom.

Hey new member...although it doesn't really look like anyone reads this...or has for quite some time anyways. I have a flat black/silver striped 04 Vmax with about 12000 miles...I like to wrench on stuff and build custom guns as well....I may be askin for help as time passes.

Welcome Gundoc! Glad to have you on board, you'll see that there is a large number of folks here ready to answer most any question you may have about the Vmax and other topic's.
When you get a chance throw a couple of pictures up of your '04.

Hey gundoc, welcome up!! :punk:

Ask all the questions you want, almost always someone who has been thru the same thing you have questions about!

I noticed 1,044 people have read this thread so far....just that lots of folks don't respond. :clapping:

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my Max last Sunday and got a pretty good deal on it. I have been eyeing these since I started riding. . . .2 years ago. I tell most people it's my dream bike and now I own it, so needless to say I'm pumped. Trying to figure out all of the must-do mods/fixes, especially since it's a lat 80's model, and what kind of problems to look out for. The helmet I painted myself. Does anyone ride from SoCal?
img0027jpgyk6p.JPG

Nice Start, #1: Front Suspension if it hasn't been done yet. Then, it's a whole new world open to so many mods it's almost unbelievable....

Read some posts, you can spend a fortune on the advise here....:biglaugh:

Welcome to the VMF, VMax Forum..

Nice Start, #1: Front Suspension if it hasn't been done yet. Then, it's a whole new world open to so many mods it's almost unbelievable....

Read some posts, you can spend a fortune on the advise here....:biglaugh:

Welcome to the VMF, VMax Forum..
Yeah, I figure the REAL cost of the bike is double what I paid, considering what is inevitably going to go into it. I think I did alright, It came with stage 7 jet kit with pod filters, flat slide carbs, 4into1, Metzler on the rear, and a steering stabilizer. I think I'm going to rely on the steering stabilizer to hold me over until I can do a full R1 front end in 1 shot.

Welcome wister. Nice ride.

I would start by going over what you already have to make sure its tip top before starting mods. Change fluids, check brakes, electrical, and bearings. Make sure carbs are clean and jetted correctly or else you will leave HP and economy on the table.

Once you get that far its time to think mods. You've got a good start w/stage 7 and a hindle. You might want to think about a seat if your going to put on any miles. Morley, maxgasser, sportmax, and UFO are good options.

Handling can be improved with springs and emulators or intiminators, or Gus as you mentioned. Radial tires with appropriate wheels, solid engine mounts, frame braces, braced swingarm, shocks.

Not a whole lot more to do to your engine without spending big $. But there are options. Big bore, long rod, cams, nitrous, blower, turbo.

Chrome, paint, billet

You mentioned flatslides, unless the PO gave them to you in a box you don't have them. Looks like oem carbs on the bike.

Have fun

Hi Mike. Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the carbs. The guy kept saying flatslides-flatslides-flatslides but they looked stock to me as well. I'll pull the faux cover and get some shots but I figured it was already a bust.

I'm going to flush both controls this afternoon and a battery is on my list next. Coolant and oil by next weekend hopefully, but it is smooth and strong right now so I am not worried about anything blowing up on me. What I really need is a rear fender, it was clipped in a parking lot. From the left side you can't tell but up close or just from the right side you can see that it's broken.

Frame braces a a definite, but I don't think I'm going to go the full monty with motor mounts and swing, the Max is my primary mode so can't afford to have it on blocks for very long. Radial tires on 17s are a must down the road.

Right now I'm thinking what's mentioned above plus 6 spring clutch and radial masters that seem pretty easy from the other thread. Then there are all the little cosmetic fixes. Anyone have experience with the Barnett clutch?

hi all. brought home ( in my brothers pickup) my new (98) bike sunday in a driving rain storm and have'nt had a chance to drive it yet. i hope it lives up to all my expectations. anybody have an answer to fueling this machine. i can barely get my hands down the hole to get the cap off. (corbin seat). any tricks, extentions, ideas would be helpful. thanks mike. GREAT SITE

progress.gif

I'm brand to the forum and new to V Max ownership. I Just brought my new to me '01 'Max home Monday morning before work. It was the day after my 36th birthday, but it felt more like Ralphie in A Christmas Story opening up new Red Ryder BB Gun. :)
I've own several different types of bikes over a few years, but always had a spot in my heart for the V Max.
Today it is starting to warm up, it is a BALMY 17 degrees F here in North Dakota and I'm itchin' to get the new ride out on the road.

Joined very recently and I'd like to say thanks to everyone here for all of the awesome info and pics! Great site. Hope to see some of you on the road.

Hi everybody, my name is Spencer, I've owned my vmax since 2008. I have a friend who modified the bike and got bored and sold it to me after he did all of the upgrades :eusa_dance:, anyways I was glad to get off of a crotch rocket and not sacrifice the power for comfort. Glad to be here.

Attachments

• Vmax side.jpg
    Vmax side.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 13
Back