Can't buy over sea's (England)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
So I made the decision to buy a carbtune. I appreciate that local guys offering use of there's, but with installing the jet kit and the tweaking and tuning, and drag racing as much as possible, I would like one in hand. I went on the carb tune web site, tried to order it 5 different times. Bank would not approve or the site gave me a code. by the way, there's plenty of money in the account. I emailed carbtune and got a response right away. He sent me a different type form, and that didn't go through either. He suggested calling the bank. I called them and they Informed me that they wouldn't do a transaction in england (at least where carbtune is) because they had such a high rate of fraud. I thought that was interesting. I'm still working on it. Going to try using paypal next.

I just did a paypal transaction. Seems like it went through OK. The funny part is paypal pulls the money out of that same account. Probably much more secure through paypal.

The bank is giving the money to paypal and they in turn send it to the seller. Basically one way of money laundering that is legal.

Sean

...because they had such a high rate of fraud.

I would like to see the statistics to prove that the UK is worse than any other country.
According to this report the US is the world leader in credit card fraud.

My suspicions is that fraud is just an excuse to try and gloss over the banks inadequacies.

Nobody said the UK was worse than any other place. I'm guessing the Bank doesn't have the same ability to protect the funds Over seas, as it does in the US. It's not a mega bank, but thats exactly why I use them. I'll call the bank again today and get a little more Info on it.

I'm glad to hear you were able to transact through Paypal, and get your carbtune on it's way.

I know Paypal costs someone a small transaction fee, usually the seller, but IMO, the buyer protections that come with having used them make it worth the extra money.

Remember paypal can be frauded too! They can get a bad payment and when that falls through they automatically withdraw the money back out of the account they moved it to.

I went to my bank today. Sat down in one of those cubicals with a manager to discuss why my card wouldn't work in england. She started out with what was said yesterday, about there being a large amount of fraud in that area. I asked if it was the banks decision. She said it was Visa that made the decision in conjuction with the bank. She couldn't speak for any other cards or banks. She said that a block could be anywhere, including the US. It is decided on by the amount of fraud in the area, at the time. The length of the blocks also vary by great amounts. could be 2 days, could be 2 months. I told her about this discussion, and you guys from UK. There's a little more, but I'm starting to doze off talking about banking. :sleep:

I did get an email from carbtune, and it's on the way :clapping:

I think the bank rep is feeding you a line that was likely fed to them. Visa just provides the link between merchant and bank, in the end the bank says yes or no. If you are using a debit card and not an actual credit card they are usually scrutinized a good deal more. Was it a local bank or a large national brand? In my experience I have found Chase and SunTrust to be bad about authorizations however banking with USAA, AMEX (hard with acceptance at times due to merchants not wanting to pay the higher fees) and Bank of America have been seamless worldwide. I travel a lot to various parts of the US and the world, in the end it is about having the right bank backing the plastic to get the job done.

Regardless, glad you were able to get the transaction completed in the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think the bank rep is feeding you a line that was likely fed to them. Visa just provides the link between merchant and bank, in the end the bank says yes or no. If you are using a debit card and not an actual credit card they are usually scrutinized a good deal more. Was it a local bank or a large national brand? In my experience I have found Chase and SunTrust to be bad about authorizations however banking with USAA, AMEX (hard with acceptance at times due to merchants not wanting to pay the higher fees) and Bank of America have been seamless worldwide. I travel a lot to various parts of the US and the world, in the end it is about having the right bank backing the plastic to get the job done.

Regardless, glad you were able to get the transaction completed in the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It's a smaller bank, and the card I have is a debit card, but at least here, I use it as a credit card without issue. I've also used it on other over seas purchases, as a credit card. The bank lady did say there was a big difference in using the card vs a check. I couldn't understand why, because it's the exact same account. That's why I'm not a banker.

It's a smaller bank, and the card I have is a debit card, but at least here, I use it as a credit card without issue. I've also used it on other over seas purchases, as a credit card. The bank lady did say there was a big difference in using the card vs a check. I couldn't understand why, because it's the exact same account. That's why I'm not a banker.

Yeah in the banking world it is a big difference. Basically less security on a debit card vs a credit card leaving the bank open for more liability. Your debit card is tied to cash whereas a credit card is just that, a line of credit. Running a debit card as credit at a merchant is just the way the transaction is processed, it unfortunately does not change what type of account it is drawn from. Credit card companies are built to deal with fraud where as banks handling checking accounts are not as well equipped make it easier to deny anything remotely suspicious leaving them with less risk.

I was shopping all around the world...usa, asia, australlia and africa even...
Never got screwed by PP and even was protected couple of times...

Im also using my credit card in a case someone doeas not work with PP.
Also no no problems...

What kind of crappy bank do you have there man?

What kind of crappy bank do you have there man?

I would say one that is trying to protect me and/or themselves from fraud. I've been with them for around 10 years.This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this. I've bought from china, ebay, and all around the US with this same card/bank with no issue. What ever the reason, I would have to consider it legitiment. Bottom line is any bank is about making/keeping money. They wouldn't block a transaction if they didn't feel threatened financially.

I keep forgetting to 'notify' my bank when I'm going to be out of town, as per their stupid policy. Two weekends ago, I found myself fueled up in TX on my way to the Spring TX Hill country rally, only to find my debit card denied - AGAIN. Had to stop and borrow the wifes' cell (I don't carry one) and phone them immediately. Luckily it was a Thursday morning, and during banking hours. Every time my bank sees my card in another state, they phone my house. As I'm not there, but instead in another state (with my freakin' card!) I don't answer the phone. They then leave a message at the house informing me of the suspicious activity on my card and that they are blocking further transactions until such time as I can call them back.
WHAT A CROCK OF CHIT THAT IS!

The last time that happened, I was trying to get out of Vegas, during a holiday weekend, and on only Day 4 of a 10 Day vacation. I've had 'the conversation' with them a couple of times this past 3 years, and tried to have my account marked with the fact that I don't carry a cell, and that if I don't answer the home phone, I'm most likely the one using the card somewhere etc. And I'm uncomfy in the thought that someone, heck anyone at the bank with account access, will know exactly when/if I plan to be out of town etc. PITA, is what it can be.

IMO, the contract EVERY RETAILER signs with the CC company regarding ID verification should be adequate protection to the bank, and card holder, that any/all fraud occurring will/should be easily charged back to the retailer. Retailers are contractually required to verify card user's ID, whether it be visually checking a photo ID, or the fact that the card holder has, and used the PIN # associated with the card, or sometimes being required by that merchants' point of sale hardware - to enter in the correct zip code associated with the card.

I like the fact that these people think they are trying to look out for my best interests, but they need to apply better logic, and at the same time, realize that the BIG BANK contracts with the merchants should be the guarantee that protects me, and them, in the event of fraud.

It seems that banks can still do whatever they like to screw us for as much as they can.
As it is your money then I would have thought that once you had spoken to them and confirmed the transaction legitimate then they should release the funds.
The cynic in me thinks that it is little to do with 'looking after the customer' more a case of looking after themselves.

I'm currently in the process of buying a new car.
It took ten days to release the funds and another six days before it appeared in my account.
I thought computers should be able to work quicker than that.
What I can't understand is how, when I started kicking off, they were able to transfer cleared funds into my account within several hours.....
Oh, yes, the penny has just dropped - it cost ?35.00 to make this happen (fortunately I wasn't hit with this charge).

Despite all of the upheaval in the banking sector over the last few years and much tut tutting and indignation from our politicians we are still being shafted.

Rant ends....

Hey Steve you glad you don't live in Cyprus otherwise you would be buying a used bicycle instead of a car... :biglaugh:

Back