Anyone else into RC cars?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
So, as a kid in the late 80s I used to race RC with my dad. 1/10 scale 4wd off-road and 1/12 indoor carpet oval. Well. I year ago I got the idea to get back into the hobby after a 25+ year absence. I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum also likes playing with toys that aren't big enough to ride/drive in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive been working on resurecting my Kyosho Stinger Mk1 for the last few months. Blew the engine back in 91 and just finally getting around to work on it, lol. Granted, i was 10 when the engine blew, lol. Ive also got an old electric boat that needs some love, cant remember the model name but its a Kyosho as well.

Not into the cars so much, but I love RC planes. The new little brushless electric motors are a far cry from the old single cylinder nitro engines we flew as kids. I don't miss risking a broken finger by firing them by spinning the prop!

Had a gold pan RC10 back in the day. Did a lot of electric off-road, and 10th scale oval, RC10L.
Then the sport died here. Completely.... Dumped it all on EBay, and bought a telescope. Got a Zhumell 8" Dobsonian mount reflector and a bunch of eyepieces. Mod monkey also bites telescope owners, by the way...

I had a nitro buggy about 7 years ago. I took it on a trade for my daughter's chinchilla we wanted to ditch. I had to put a new body on it and a few suspension parts. That thing had an engine that normally went on planes and it would HAUL! It had a 2 speed transmission and I imagine it would run 60-70mph. I ended up selling it after getting it fixed up and gave the money to my daughter but I secretly wanted to keep it, lol.

EVERYTHING RC. You name it, I either had it, or, still own it.

Years aso, I had the Kyosho Vanning 4WD .21 engine, looked like something out of a Mad Max movie.. No poly carb body at all. Just a frame and t
Roll cage. Lol.. used to chase cars down the parkway doing over 60mph.. Oh the joys of youth, and not being labeled as a terrorist. . Just kids having fun.. :)

I had a grasshopper back in the day but I hear they don't count. They weren't one of the "cool" cars.

Not long after getting it we picked up an upgraded motor and pinion from the hobby shop. I pulled my first motor at 9 years old :biglaugh:

One of the coolest cars I've ever raced was a buddy's 1/12 scale Carpet Knife by Calandra. I had an RC12L, this Calandra world eat the Associated car for lunch. Scary how these cars would run with modern electronics and brushless motors.

When I raced "back in the day" I had a Yokomo YZ-10 4wd buggy, Associated 12l carpet carpet I used to run oval on at the local VFW and a Kyosho Hi Roller Vette monster truck for playing/ Bashing .
Since getting back into the hobby a year ago I have 2 Traxxas trucks . A 2wd Slash I bought brushed and later upgraded, and made some trade deals to acquire a 4x4 slash ( need a motor and speed control for )
Going from brushed to brushless was like going from my old Suzuki GS750 to a VMax, and then having the Vboost kick in.
Right now I'm looking at restoring my old Yokomo into a modern running gear, LiPo powered "resto mod " and get motor for the 4x4 and new bodies for both trucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a brushless powered traxxas summit. Run it on 4s lipo batteries the thing absolutely flies. Top speed is 50 mph on stock gearing. I had to get different tires because stock tires would ballon at speed and one finally shredded.

I got into RC racing in the late 80s. I had a RC-10 that I converted to a Stadium Race Truck that I had a lot of fun with and eventually upgraded to a Losi JRXT. There wasn't a lot of places to race on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but I loved it.

When I got out of basic training and went to my first assignment in California I was blown away by how huge the RC scene was there. Unfortunately the closest track to me (which was right near the base) had all sorts of stuff they raced there -- including 1/4 scale gas power cars. Those were fun to watch but man they tore the track up and as such my 1/10 JRXT would take a beating out there. I eventually decided to spend the money I was spending on RC parts on a real motorcycle instead. Eventually fell out of the RC scene.

But I kept my gear. And when my son got old enough I dusted it all off to see if he was interested and he never did. As disappointing as that was to happen, it might have been a blessing in disguise. He was a pretty cheap kid to raise haha.

Back