Alaska

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
Alaska, a place I had long wanted to see has come to fruition and after 6 days of vacation has it has exceeded my imagination! I had typed up a 3 paragraph post early morning as the sun was coming over the snow toped mountains that surround Seward, Alaska but my sister (whom this trip is really all about!) jumped on the computer before I could finish, Aw, well whatca gonna do. She is working for the TSA in Sitka and needed off the "little island", as she put it.
I arrived in Anchorage last Thursday evening before my sister was to arrive to check out the hotel I had booked (Longhouse, 3*** but nice enough since it was for only less then 12 hours we would be there) and to let her know how to get there. After an uneventful night we checked out to pickup our RV for the next 8 days. While waiting for the taxi we chatted with the owner who gave some great ideas of where to go and what to see along our intended route, nice guy.
Our plan or route was to hit up Denali National Park then venture back south to the Kenai peninsula, Homer and even possibly Seward. Denali was beautiful just too short of time to take much in although we did see 7 moose, a sheep and caribou. Well, our best intentioned plans went awry after we realized after finally reaching Denali that this might consume a few more days than originally planned. Also when we came back through my sister informed me that that she had planned a doctors appointment a day before we were to turn in the RV in Anchorage :bang head: ! So we reset the plans to go to Seward instead to spend a couple days there and so far the new plan is working out great as the weather here is bright, sunny with just a slight breeze! Also, with today being my sisters birthday I made her coffee and an broccoli, caribou and mushroom omelet for breakfast that she loved. We just got back from a nice walk along the waterfront then into town so she could hit the gift stores for some memento's. She was happy and must of made the shop owners day by getting over $100 of stuff! Right now she is taking her senior nap while I'm typing this enjoying the views and a delicious Guinness Stout. I think she is resting up for the seafood feast we have planned for later this afternoon that both her and I are really looking forward to.
Tomorrow we have a hike up to the Exit glacier, panning for gold and looking for the whales as we make our way closer to Anchorage. It has been a very eye opening trip as to the beauty, variety and expanse of our large 49th state. I fly out late Saturday evening to fly to Detroit Sunday pm then visit some family before driving home on Monday.
As promised KJ, I will be back to take you up on that beer, but this time on two wheels to explore this beautiful land called Alaska!

It's always nice to hear the story, instead of " I've always wanted to" Sounds like your having a great time:punk:

So cool to hear about places like that,Sounds like you guy's had a blast.Great memories.You only live once.Thank's for the post.

Go blow the conch at the Birdhouse and get ready for some of the finest seafood in the world. There is a 5 story building downtown Anchorage with a restaurant on top with outstanding food-If you get time check out Earthquake Island.

Next time drive down to whitehorse from there man...got a few vmax you can drive...glad you had a good trip. I love it up around Alaska what a great place.

Alaska is a different and wonderful place. But only when it's warm enough to brave the outdoors.:rofl_200: Almost like being on another planet. My youngest Son has been there with his family for over 10 years and Loves it...

Next time drive down to whitehorse from there man...got a few vmax you can drive...glad you had a good trip. I love it up around Alaska what a great place.

If everything falls together Dave and I may be through your area next summer, but we haven't decided on a route as of yet. It would be good to see you Rov and will give you as much advanced warning as possible.
:thumbs up:

Alaska is a different and wonderful place. But only when it's warm enough to brave the outdoors.:rofl_200: Almost like being on another planet. My youngest Son has been there with his family for over 10 years and Loves it...
It sure is Dave, I love being around the mountains and water. I prefer fresh water over salty but I really like the seafood choices you get from the ocean.

It is the first time I've been here Jamie, but it will not be the last! In fact Dave and I have talked about riding to Alaska, possibly to Prudhoe Bay! Maybe we can talk Rov to ride along too?

Ya man I'd love too....

I remember growing up as a kid with the mysterious legend about elephants going off to some unknown place to die. And as morbid as this sounds, I've felt like if I was an elephant(in a metaphorical sense), Alaska would be my "hidden place" to die. Odd I know, but Alaska is so beautiful and unique it's hard to imagine anything else coming close to being "God's country."

Latest posts

Back