exhaust model differences

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbx1260cc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a new member but will be narrowing my search for a gen 1 V-max.

I had a 1985 when they came out. Really ENJOYED the bike but circumstances meant it had to be sold but now back and will soon be looking for a nice used model once I narrow my wants list.

Question:

The 1996 model seems to have a Black Chrome plated system while the 1998 model has a "normal" chrome system.

Other than appearance any differences in the systems?

I had an older Honda (1983) which had a Black Chrome exhaust and it was a royal pain maintaining the finish. Is that also the case with the 1996 model? Maybe with time the coatings have improved??

I'm located in Ga (45 miles NE of Atlanta). Any members close by who might be considering a sale please drop me a note.

Thank you in advance for any / all help.

Regards

Rick

They're all the same (except the thing about the '85 being a millimeter bigger or something). It's a gloss black, though. Not chrome.

Jet Hot coatings are current treatments, not that it's what the factory uses, but if you had a rough stock exhaust, other than heat tape, that could be an alternative finish, more-durable than VHT paint. You'd need to do something to get the paint to stick to the deteriorated chrome, though.

From what I have seen, I would say either black or chrome if taken care of is durable and holds up well over time....................Tom.

They're all the same (except the thing about the '85 being a millimeter bigger or something). It's a gloss black, though. Not chrome.

96 & 97 were the only years which had had the "black chrome" exhaust. The v-boost tubes were increased from 30mm to 32mm--the exhaust canisters were corrected to be be compliant with the DOT.

No difference In the colors except what was stated by Dave. I live in Maryville, TN so not to far from you. I have an 85 I am going thru & will be selling once I am done. I also have an 86 that I will be selling soon. It has a little higher miles than some people like ( 53,000) but will be reasonable priced

Back