Gen 1 diff on a Gen 2 swingarm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll find out! Traction is going to be the biggest issue and the hardest loads will be the launch and shift. The launch will be hand slide and no bar (is the plan) with the air shifter for the rest of the run will make very low stress spikes so we'll see if it will hold against the brute torque of it all.

I've only ever broken one (at least catastrophically) and a few sheared off pinion nuts. The OEM gen 1 shaft is a weak link which was resolved with the heavier duty shafts. I quit running the heavy duty shaft after breaking a few engine cases which failed before the rear ever did.

Speaking of shafts, I made it today. I still have more machining to do and thru hardening.
Don't forget because it's Gen 1 to Gen 2 it requires a hybrid shaft and as such the shank diameter has been made to Gen 2 specs 28mm which is somewhat bigger than Gen 1 , the only real difference here is we have the "poor mans" cv joint which is the crowned spline/gear at the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_20171010_141610 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20171010_141610 (Large).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 60
Nice, on the axle are you going to drill some material out of the center? Both for weight and strength like the OEM axle?

Nice, on the axle are you going to drill some material out of the center? Both for weight and strength like the OEM axle?

What we can do is rifle drill from the large side part way as the shaft steps down to gen1 size and we don't want it weak there

I meant the wheel axle and not the drive axle (though it might benefit from some weight loss too?)

Ready to roll

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_100253 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20171118_100253 (Large).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 86
I've got the setup here but haven't tried it. The kit is not likely going to do really well on the street since we are not able to use a seal on the driveshaft where it enters the rear diff.

I've got the setup here but haven't tried it. The kit is not likely going to do really well on the street since we are not able to use a seal on the driveshaft where it enters the rear diff.

That's a bummer. Sounds like it's gonna be strictly for the strip??

I would suspect so. With no seal on the front of the driveshaft it's hard to know for sure how well it would on the street. We talked about finding an additive that would allow for minimal oil to be ran in the diff but still have enough lubrication. Hard to predict. Unless we can design something different like a two part driveshaft?

It's made but untested. There is no sealing capability currently so we have to run a light grease in the diff or figure out another way to put oil in the diff and keep it in there.

Latest posts

Back