Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score Dave!...........Even if it needs a few things that's a great deal and low mileage to boot!.............Tom.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum and congrats on scoring the '97. A great year for the V Max IMO.
Sounds like you have it covered, after doing what you suggested throw some gas in her and see how she sounds.
If you don't have a complete carb dismantle/cleaning on the schedule, that should be done at some point I would guess.
Good luck! Keep us posted, and of course.....pictures, lots and lots of pictures!! :punk:
dan-o

pictures are ready., Dave

G'day,

I'm a new member, so I'll introduce myself.

Many years ago I had a bad accident on a VF750F. I loved the V4, but I found it very hard to convince myself to buy a bike after having to recover from that.
After a while I bought a cheap Benelli scooter (which I still have), and eventually started selling scoots. This led me into a job in a small motorbike shop, where I worked for a few years.
In the shop when I started was a vmax which had been purchased by the shop owner.
It's this bike --> http://www.bikepics.com/members/dmax85au/

After riding the bike home one day in December, about 4 years ago, I spoke to my (now defunct) fiance and said "You have got to come and have a look at this bike. It the best all-round bike I have ever ridden". She looked at me and said "Why don't you buy it then?".

I wasn't convinced that I should, being as I didn't actually have the money, but I rode it home the next 2 days as well. In the end, on xmas eve, I bought it on a 'handshake deal' from my boss. He let me pay it off over the next few months.

4 years have passed. During this time I have nursed it through it's 2nd gear issues, always wanting to fix it, but never having the time and/or money and/or space.
It's had a nice respray in a Kawasaki 'red' which looks black most of the time, with some nice flames.

My new girl, being smarter than your average bear, had a big shed installed at her house when I moved in. I have also ridden the bike until the 2nd gear problem is quite bad, and the brakes are basically stuffed. Time for her to come apart! :)

At the moment the crankcase is split.
I have some Brembo Goldline calipers (which are going to be bead blasted to get the disgusting gold off) and adaptors, braided lines and semi floating rotors to suit the later model vmax.
A Barnett clutch is on the way, as is some Speigler rear-sets.
I have the 4 replacement gears that Yamaha supply.

Sean at Morleys Muscle has been a great help the past few days via e-mail. Much respect. He has informed me that I am missing the shim washer from the Yamaha kit. Now I need to find one...

My current intention is to just fix the gearbox, replace the brakes and steering bearings, fix a couple of bits and pieces and keep her all sweet for a few more years.
At some point, I need a spare engine. I have experience in engine reconditioning, and would like to build up a 1600cc motor, and having a 2nd engine is basically a requirement so I can still ride her while I go through the process of painstakingly building a motor and trans to my own fussy standards.

I love my vmax, and don't ever want another bike.

Her name is Veronica vmax, and she'll run you down and do a burn-out on your face if you get in her way. She's lovely. ;-)

Great stuff and welcome! I see you're near Perth, I should be moving there in a few months' time! If my bike doesn't sell, I may even ship it there, and then we'll have two Maxes to go riding with! Yay.

That's a great VMax Story. Welcome to the forum and good luck on all your projects....:biglaugh:

hi i have just become a vmax owner ,bought it as a wreck ,resurected it to sell on to raise some much needed cash,rode it loved it sod it keep it .
its a 95 model originally an american model,imported into the uk in 98.
goes like stink,handles like a three legged pig,scares me everytime i open it up.
brilliant,bikes like this are what bikes are about .
i have been using the info on the site to bring my bike up to par ,mainly carbs & bad electrical connections .
now back on the road after 6 years stood idle ,rescued from a breakers yard ,ready for action

hi i have just become a vmax owner ,bought it as a wreck ,resurected it to sell on to raise some much needed cash,rode it loved it sod it keep it .
its a 95 model originally an american model,imported into the uk in 98.
goes like stink,handles like a three legged pig,scares me everytime i open it up.
brilliant,bikes like this are what bikes are about .
i have been using the info on the site to bring my bike up to par ,mainly carbs & bad electrical connections .
now back on the road after 6 years stood idle ,rescued from a breakers yard ,ready for action
Good on ya run990! I love to hear that a Vmax has been saved from the crusher.
Especially like this part of your post: "goes like stink,handles like a three legged pig,scares me everytime i open it up."!:punk:

Hello all,
I am new to the site, and I must say I am amazed at the quality information found in the post's. I have had street bikes for quite a while, and up until now all were sport bikes. I have always wanted a Max,but when I went bike shopping they were always sold or not quite what I was looking for. Then the miracle happened, "I found an owner of a very well maintained 2004 Max, that had the chance to purchase a latest gen Max from a owner that rode the bike twice and it scared the hell out of him", I even got the new tires he was going to mount on the 2004 soon with the deal! "All I can say is what the heck was I thinking for all those years?". This was truly a meant to be deal,and I'm a Maxer for life!

welcome allisontech.........................you a tranny guy? you'll have fun here and learn alot!

run990,welcome to you as well,Im with redbone ,anyone to save a max from a crusher is a good man!

Yes, I am an Allison transmission re builder/Foreman for the Central Florida Allison distributor.
And I agree I think this site will become addicting!

Thanks for the welcome

Yes, I am an Allison transmission re builder/Foreman for the Central Florida Allison distributor.
And I agree I think this site will become addicting!

Thanks for the welcome
your right...........you'll have to have it every day!

welcome to the collective, you'll have some fun here I guarantee. +1 on the Its nice to see a bike resored than crushed.
Theres quite a few Fla maxxers, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding some fellow Vmaxheads to ride with.

K J ,do vmax head smoke tires?:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: I might be one!:biglaugh:

Back