Front Coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How difficult is it to get to the front coils?

It looks like a nightmare... I have limited space to work on the bike, mainly on the street... This doesn't lend itself well to anything too complicated and my motorcycle mechanic skill level isn't exactly an A+...

I was hoping there is a shortcut to get to them... I want to replace them and the wires... Should I try to pull this off in the street or just have someone do it? Money is tight and anytime I can I try to fix things myself...

Thanks for any help...

Switch to COP's (coil over plug style). Yes, it costs $ but you can abandon in-place the coils, call it/them, 'ballast.' The mod is "plug & play," you can do it in a half-hour, easily. They're sold on here by one of the members, I think Morley's Muscle acts as an agent for him now. [email protected].

They suck pretty much. Probably easiest to unbolt the electical rack to lift it up and turned for access. Why do you need to get to them?

They suck pretty much. Probably easiest to unbolt the electical rack to lift it up and turned for access. Why do you need to get to them?

A while back I started having serious problems with 1 or 2 cylinders missing, sometimes one cylinder would simply stop firing totally....

I wasn't sure if it was carbs or coils or something else...

when I went to take a wire off one of the rear plugs the wire simply dropped to the ground after being pulled off the plug...

The wire was interesting in as much as the conductor was down about a half inch inside the insulation.... How did that happen? I have no clue...

So I pulled the seat off and checked the other one, yup same thing...

Cleaned up the wires and exposed the conductors and put them back in the coils... Noticed that both coils were cracked, so I sealed them up with epoxy...

After that she ran way better, most of the misses were gone although occasionally one cylinder (not sure which) would still drop out... That stopped... No idea why...

Just as strange... a few weeks later I noticed that once in a while when accelerating something would kick in... meaning something changed... And the power JUMPED WAY UP... It was like a ROCKET kicked in out of no where halfway through 1st gear and she takes off like a f-ing rocket ship... But only once in a while... This has subsided....

Okay so now she started missing again, but only low RPMs... I have to believe that the fronts are just as bad as the rears...and I know this bike can perform way better...

So I want to replace ALL the coils and wires...

Sorry for the long answer... LOL

Switch to COP's (coil over plug style). Yes, it costs $ but you can abandon in-place the coils, call it/them, 'ballast.' The mod is "plug & play," you can do it in a half-hour, easily. They're sold on here by one of the members, I think Morley's Muscle acts as an agent for him now. [email protected].

Any links or pics?

So you just connect these to the igniters?

How much? :eek:

I do have COP kits and you can email me at [email protected]

I would almost suspect you have a bad CDI and not just bad coils.

OK I will..

Why do you think a bad CDI... Are they the igniters?

I forgot to mention.... When it rains and gets wet the misses at low RPM (below 2000) go away for the most part.... I was thinking the water might be bridging a bad connection...

You might try opening the ignitor cover, and use a proper pencil-style soldering iron to re-sweat the wiring harness plug-in leads, some members have reported cold-soldered joints that after time, affected their boxes. It doesn't cost anything.

Sean Morley can also send you the Morley's Muscle Electrical Kit to try replacement of your suspect items, one by one, you only pay for whatever piece(s) fix your issue.

Cops and an Ignatech or Dyna ignition would be a good investment. Both have a rev limiter function that the OEM box lacks. And there are many other useful features on the Ignatech.

Latest posts

Back