First Vmax. What should I look for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daygoslow

Reaction score
I am potentially picking up my 1st VMax (Gen1) this weekend and feel like I have done my due diligence and research before the purchase. Nonetheless I was curious with this many VMax owners/knowledge in one spot if anyone had advice of things to look for to someone purchasing their 1st VMax?

Read the sticky threads, RaWarrior's is a good place to-start. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

I don't know your riding history, but the VMax torque and the engine response can catch even an experienced rider by-surprise, especially on wet, slick or painted surfaces, as the engine revs past 6,000 rpm. Especially if you're turning, and grab a handful of throttle. There are some tires sold to fit our bikes that offer better tread-wear, but are miserable for traction. This is a 'MUSCLE-bike!' Don't sacrifice traction for tread wear, unless you never rev it past 5,000 rpm, and why have one, if you don't? Just get-used-to having to replace your rear tire in 5,000 miles (or-less, depending on the right-hand twist of the wrist), and enjoy painting black stripes occasionally to mark your territory.

Once you become used-to the performance and handling, you will stop being worried if your red dash-light flickers on and off occasionally. That's just a sign that your bike is getting a vigorous workout. These bikes usually have about 110 RWHP, which in this time of 150 RWHP bikes, may-not seem like a lot, but it's a solid 11 second quarter-miler, faster if you're light and quick, and a stock bike is supposed to be good for 149 mph, but the ride to about 135 MPH is usually enough for most people, and can be done in well-under 880 yards.

A nice clean Vmax that was taken care of is something to behold. Observe the fastenings. If they're all dog eared and stripped, you know someone with an adjustable wrench and a hammer took care of it. +1 to checking for 2nd gear issues. Brake, shocks, & COP's are basic upgrades. The test rides reveal much.

Outside the things already mentioned I would like to extend a welcome. I might also X2 on the low-speed cornering carefully. I almost dropped it at an intersection a couple times with the slippery shitty Metzler tires and abrupt off idle sensativity I got a pucker factor of 3-4 as it tried to get out of shape. Now that I'm used to it there is no problem. High speed handling is sketchy if stock but a few small mods can help dramatically. above all else, enjoy, shes a fun bike.

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone. I have spoke with the owner about it in a few times in fairly good detail. He SEEMS like a nice guy and has good details on his time with it. He said it was ridden about 20,000 miles over the last 5-6 years, looks very nice to me in the pics and has had regular oil changes and what little repair work done at a local dealer. Going to meet up and ride it this weekend and hopefully bring it home. I'm actually in Arlington Tn which is a sma suburb just outside of Memphis.

Make sure to check if the headlight is dim at idle and brightens up with rpms. Could indicate a charging problem. Which im currently fixing on mine.

Welcome to the dark side.

Back