Big bore?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpinerider88

Reaction score
Is there any big bore or stroker kits available for a gen 1 and if so are they worth it and how much and where can I find parts... I would like some more juice under me its a fun bike but it's less than impressive, I don't feel like it lives up to the stigma

Contact PCW Racing or Morleys Muscle. Either can get you setup with a 1500cc Gen1 vmax.

Unless you truly love the vmax, you'd probably be better off selling it and buying something else. Maybe a gen 2. It would definitely be cheaper than trying to make the Gen1 substantially faster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The only VMaxes I've seen that didn't live-up to their storied history were ones equipped with COBRA 4 into 4 exhausts.

"Stigma' denotes something disgraceful. A useeful comparison would be taking a perfectly-decently-performing VMax and gelding it by installing a pretty, but performance-limiting exhaust ilke a COBRA 4 into 4.

I agree that getting a Generation II would probably be better than trying to modify a Generation I.

Contact PCW Racing or Morleys Muscle. Either can get you setup with a 1500cc Gen1 vmax.

Unless you truly love the vmax, you'd probably be better off selling it and buying something else. Maybe a gen 2. It would definitely be cheaper than trying to make the Gen1 substantially faster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is exctly the conclusion I came to when I looked into this. If you want one to compete with a Gen2 then the price will easily exceed a Gen2. That said there is one on CL locally with almost no miles, ecu tume and exhaust, seat, only tasteful grown up mods for $11k. If you want more CC you can go to a Venture engine, 1300 were found in Gen1 MKII (86-93). Earlier were 1200cc. A couple different ratios but Ive read its a difference you can feel. Not sure its enough to get where you want to be.

One other thought, not sure what you've done with your Gen1 but when I bought mine it was stock aside from a Kerker 4-2-1 and a "professionally" installed DJ stage 1 jet kit. It was fast and all but I did feel it wasnt matching the hype. It took a lot of tuning, with help from folks here. I added COPs and a Morley jet kit with filter lid. Once I got the right jets and proper setup it was like a different animal and the investment was minimal. Im now very pleased. I know a Gen2 would dust me but its still a kick to ride.

If I wanted more power I would take this warmed up Rocket III off a friend, its cheaper than a Gen2 and has had a cam /head rework. The torque is absurd, there is only so much you can ask motorcycle tires to do. If you want a stupid fast cruiser the RIII needs consideration. I bought a Hinkley era Triumph new on 2000 and enjoyed 80k trouble free miles, best bike I have ever owned, the old school Triumph gremlins gone. The mods not really cheap but I stumble across then now and again already modded and priced right. Just another way to get where you wanna be if the Gen2 max doesnt strike you right. Just my .02¢.

After getting my Gen1 max sorted I decided that its plenty quick for me, as opposed to before it was dialed in. I now enjoy the Vmax experience that was dulled by bad jetting/tuning. I recall feeling just what you described, I feel so much better now that she does deliver the Vmax experience.

When they came-out, I went to the dealer in Ft. Lauderdale and sat on a Rocket III. It made me feel like I was sitting in a pelvic examination chair. After Triumph designed what I consider to be the most-beautiful gas tank ever, the wasp-waisted Hinkley-built Bonneville tank, to have my knees rudely-forced-apart by the Rocket III tank was such a turn-off ergonomically, there was no-way I was gonna consider it, even if I could have found a replacement tank, narrower at the back.

I think Matt Capri did some forced-induction Triumphs that made some big numbers. He should have bolted one of those into a 1967 Triumph Spitfire. Like the Smart car with the Hyabusa you can see on youtube.

I think they're more-about torque than sheer HP #'s. Since they're nearly twice the displacement of a Gen I VMax, I'd expect more RWHP than that. After-all that's about what a decent Gen I VMax puts-out RWHP.

If you said 113 ft/lb torque, that would be a decent # I think, w/o looking-up the specs. A VMax is in the low 70's for torque, I believe.

The bike was tuned I guess and dynoed at 113 go should it have more?

Sorry I thought we were speaking about the Triumph Rocket III.

113 RWHP for a Gen I is about where it should be.

Ive always heard 110-125 is about right for a tuned and piped Gen1 vmax. I just got a txt back from my friend with the Rocket III. Cam/head/exh he claimed puts it squarely into the 200+ tq and hp club. I cant imagine how much fun a turbo setup would be.

One thing that impressed me about the Triumph 955 triple was a very broad usable torque curve that started now and went on to redline. The 2300 blew my mind for a stock bike with silly thrust. The peak numbers for a 955/1050 wouldnt woe readers but a ride would probably impress with usable power everywhere just making it super friendly and ultra-streetable. I know I'm bouncing between 955 and 2300 but my point is the triple is a great jumping off point for a torque monster. I think one thing the Vmax Gen1 and R3 have in common is that it would be considerably cheaper to buy one already tweaked/turbod/poked/stroked or whatever than to endeavor the build on a working mans paycheck.

BMW K1600 inline 6 is 160hp and 130tq stock IIRC. I would not be shocked if some point a variant of that sexy bitch ends up in some sort of street fighter or cruiser. Man I love bikes!!!!

An occasional shot of NOS might suit your needs in a more economical way. There will always be some risk involved, but you'll go faster when you hit the happy gas button, that's for sure. I'm sure Sean could tell you all about it, and hook you up with everything you need to do it safely.

Of course we can assist with bigger engines have plenty of options. 1300-1570 and bigger. Shaft or chain drive. Ect....

The higher the mileage typically the more HP they will make. A fresh engine won't make nearly as much power as a higher mileage one (up to 10 percent would not be unexpected).

Looser components and better sealing on the rings. These cylinder walls are very hard and even high mileage motors can have the cross hatching in them.

Latest posts

Back