v boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know when I owned my '95, the actual connectors under the left scoop were corroded and I had to clean them off to get it working again.
I noticed mine wasn't working on my 85 and found the same corrosion. Cleaned it off and it was back. The next morning no servo sound so recleaned again and still no servo sound so it looks like I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to figure this one out. :bang head:

I noticed mine wasn't working on my 85 and found the same corrosion. Cleaned it off and it was back. The next morning no servo sound so recleaned again and still no servo sound so it looks like I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to figure this one out. :bang head:
So this is what I found out. I tested the servo motor per the instructions on page 7-66 of the manual and it operates fine. Proceeded to do the resistance test after trying to figure out the misprint (check 1/4 terminal...there is no 4) and it all checks fine. So I unhooked and rehooked up every connection I could find, since the air box was out anyways, and upon hooking them up, 1 at a time, turned on the key and still had no servo operation. So I figure to hell with it. Buttoned everything back up and rode 25 miles to attend an old friends graveside service. Upon getting ready to leave, turn the key on and there is the servo sound. Three more stops later servo each time. I even checked again before writing this. Still there. Oh and I forgot I opened up the V boost valve control to see if anything looked cooked in there.... Nothing. So I haven't leaned a thing about what's going here. If I were to guess it's probably the control unit. Until that dies I'm riding. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Later, Bill

Only thing I can think of is maybe a loose connection in something obsure, or maybe a Far Darrig playing some tricks on you. They've been known to pull a prank or too.

Attachments

• wee_folk.jpg
    wee_folk.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 38
The controller is usually the problem. A common issue with them is one of the input or output wires having a bad connection on the circuit board. A few vmax owners have gotten away with just re-soldering the connections on the board. Doesn't always work but its worth a shot. Biggest PIA about doing this is removing the compound from the circuit board.

The controller is usually the problem. A common issue with them is one of the input or output wires having a bad connection on the circuit board. A few vmax owners have gotten away with just re-soldering the connections on the board. Doesn't always work but its worth a shot. Biggest PIA about doing this is removing the compound from the circuit board.
By the way things looked inside the controller, it's completely encased in some type of silicone, I would have to pry it out of the case and clean it off before soldering anything. I think I'll see how long it continues to work and maybe resolder the connections after the riding season is over. Buying a replacement is out of the question since I'm underemployed, (24hr weeks for 2.5 yrs).
thanks for the input, Bill

ya ive got a puzzler too, buddys 04 is a good bike but the boost doesnt come on till around 7 -7300. ive adjusted the set screws to the correct setting... its better but not great. i guess cleaning the connectors seem to be the key. im thinking part of the problem is the carbs just need to come apart.

peace,
evan...

I was hoping for the "launch from the aircraft carrier feel" ....lol

My RF900 has a jet kit....@ around 5k it feels like there's more fuel mix getting dumped,,,probably similar feel??

Will it chirp the tires @ 85 like my '96 Cougar??.....I wish,,,

I think the stories about how incredibly dramatic the Vboost feels when it opens are just that, overly dramatized.
I feel mine but its not like getting a hit of n2o or anything like that.

I have no noise on turn of key but I know it still works as I have checked it riding and on the stand revving it past the set point.
Dont know why it stopped making the noise, may have got sick of testing itself everytime I turned the key!

Mine doesnt work after it sits for a while but if I take it to 6 grand it somehow rights it self ,but if I dont when I put it away and turn the key on and off I do not hear the whirr sound, just a light buzzing sound.

Ok men are from mars and my V max is from venus.I go into the garage today and start up my max ,turn it off and turn it back on and now the servo is whirring !!!.Go figure.

I think the stories about how incredibly dramatic the Vboost feels when it opens are just that, overly dramatized.
I feel mine but its not like getting a hit of n2o or anything like that.

I just got my first max yesterday and I was pretty disappointed with Vboost. I have been told that it felt like the bike was going to tear off your arms? I hoped it was just not working but I just checked and it does the whirring noise.

Try this, find a long straight stretch of road, get in 3rd and very slowly accellerate up from 5K...you will know exactly what point the boost begins to kick in as it will feel like an unseen hand is adding more throttle, it also lets you feel the full effect....pretty cool really. :punk:

I just got my first max yesterday and I was pretty disappointed with Vboost. I have been told that it felt like the bike was going to tear off your arms? I hoped it was just not working but I just checked and it does the whirring noise.
I've had my '98 for about a year now. This is my first/only Vmax I've ever ridden...I made a similar comment to my dad..."....dad, this bike is very peppy, but it doesnt have the "arm stretching" acceleration like I expected. I can roll on wide open in 4th or 5th gear and it pulls really good but not "arm stretching"...he told me with a grin "try it in 1st or 2nd..." ...my pair ain't big enough yet to roll wide open in 1st or 2nd yet, I told him "HELL NO!" (my 66 year 'ole man rides a ZX-14) :)

Latest posts

Back