Stupid Newbie Tricks pt 2 - broke my only key

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propwash

Reaction score
So today I go to clean out my garage and pull the max out. I unlock the steering...but leave the key in the lock. (doh!) As a result, when I pulled my key out, it was bent like a banana. I went to try to gently bend it back into shape and snap...broke it in half. NO, I don't have a spare (if I was smart enough, been 1st thing to do after picking up the bike)

Short having to yank out the ignition and take it to a bike shop, is there any low cost option to getting a new key? I have my doubts a general locksmith will be able to create a new one from these pieces.

:bang head::bang head:

IMG_4375.jpg

Yes you can if you look under the lockset for the ignition, a couple of allen screws I think it is, & there is a code # on a metalized stick-on label on the bottom of it. You should be able to get a replica at any decent locksmith. Bring the pieces so they can match the flutes to a blank, and then cut you a key from the code #.

This is who I use, the first stop after acquiring a new or used vehicle is to come here & get duplicates. They have made me keys for many VMax locksets.
http://www.leesbicycleshop.com/

Also, there is at least one member on here who is a locksmith, I forget his screen name. He's helped many of the members in the past.

I would not recommend going to Honda-Yamaha Ft. Lauderdale to try & get a key made, I would expect them to be EXPENSIVE. Nor would I recommend the Yamaha dealer on Davie Rd Extension, south of Griffin Rd. (Broward Motorsports-BMS) for the same reason. The BMS parts counter does have an older guy who is really good with the 'obsolete' bike parts like the VMax, I forget his name.

But won't that require removing all the plastic surrounding it plus the faux air scoops? The bottom of the ingnition isn't accessible.

IMG_4376.jpg

Yes, a couple allens for the air horn, and 2 or 3 phillips screws for the plastic cover, and another couple phillips screws (I don't think they're allens, but that's a good change to make) and the ignition lock is in your hands.

If you don't have one, go to Sears at Sunrise Blvd & US 1 and buy an impact driver and it should come w/a #2 phillips, but buy another to have on-hand. It's after 5 pm so Sears is probably closed. An impact driver and a properly-fitting tip is what you should use for your fasteners on the bike. It makes a much-easier job of loosening the stock phillips, no gumption traps (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) for you if you use the right tool for the job.

2Q==
$25 at Sears. Probably cheaper at Harbor Freight.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impa...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CND6mIff5tUCFRY-TwodOfgDGQ

I noticed Miles Long (!) on the list of 'currently viewing' members, where's he been? A sit-rep, please Miles!

You'll need a 10mm socket as well. For the ignition bracket thingy. It should take about 10 minutes to get to depending on how badly you want to ride your bike... Or take the key with you to a locksmith and see if they'll tape it together and make you a new one.

Take the key to a locksmith if you don't want to get the ignition code. I've had a key made by a locksmith that was broken in half.

If all the above fail there is a guy advertising on the Venture sight that makes keys, he said he can cut me a spare key for the Vmax with a photo of the existing key. If it comes to it ill get you his email, im sure he could determine from the pic if he can do it.

Guy on eBay doing the same service. Send him the numbers and get your keys [emoji360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a whole lock set (minus the steering lock, of course) with a key here in a box. Gas cap, ignition, helmet lock, fake tank release.

Thanks for the replies, people. I'm going to look into locksmiths first - then go down my other options listed out here. (the venture guy who makes keys might be a route)

I should have first stated that I am not a "do-it-yourselfer" and have great respect for those that are, but I will leave assembling / building / tearing apart to the pros - I am utterly disastrous with tools or anything mechanical for that matter. Hell I'm lucky enough I managed to get the fuel cap off the first time. My "tool kit" consists of 1 or 2 screwdrivers, a hammer, pliers and a few allen scattered around.

A good place for the spare key is the tool kit. It can happen on the road and make for a bad trip. My gas cap is different than the ignition, so it stays in the cap all the time.

So I found a good locksmith nearby that charged a grand total of $20, and got me another set. As duplicate keys go, it's not quite as smooth as factory and takes a little wiggling, but it works on all 4 key locations. I got out of a tight spot - this time.

I wanted to make sure the key works first - it does, so heading out there again this week for another copy. (and another excuse to take the bike out...like i need one)

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement. Back on the horse again.

Definitely ride the bike and have the guy come out to see how the key he made is sticky. I had this done with some stuff, and the keys work great now. Locksmiths want to do things well. He won't be satisfied until the key works as it should.

Latest posts

Back