COP(Coil On Plug) for Mr. Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so you guys know - you can get the coils sub-harness for a Honda CBR600RR brand new from BikeBandit for only $31.64 + shipping. :eusa_dance:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-motorcycle-cbr600rr-2005/o/m2057

After you click on the above link, scroll down through the boxes and find and click on the 'Sub Harness' box - coils sub harness is item #2, part No 3857044-001

Funnily the Yamaha ones are twice the money, and for Suzuki they don't even show up so must be part of the main harness. :confused2:

Just wanted to add a lil update:

So far, i've run across two types of Denso COPs. The type that the Hayabusa/GSXR's use work very well. There is another type that is a little longer and they neck down just before the rubber boot that sits over the plug(The Honda F4 and F4i use thes). These work well, but their length makes it harder to get on the plug. They both use the same electrical connector on the top. They are not a ton trouble, but personally i like the looks/ease of install/removal of the shorter type.
Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs(that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 cops anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short).

Just wanted to pass the info along. Hope this info is helpful.

Last edited:
Whats your user name on Ebay? I've bought 4 or 5 harnesses so far, most of which were F4 and F4i harness. Also bid on a bunch of COP's. I don't wanna run up the bidding on anyone though as i don't need these. I was thinking of doing up some sets as complete plug-n-play's for anyone that might be interested. I'm just crimping them at the moment but plan to solder them as soon as i get the stuff to do it with. I wanna have them in a loom that looks nice and have the ends numbered for their respective cyls. I think this would be a plus for most.

Whats your user name on Ebay? I've bought 4 or 5 harnesses so far, most of which were F4 and F4i harness. Also bid on a bunch of COP's. I don't wanna run up the bidding on anyone though as i don't need these. I was thinking of doing up some sets as complete plug-n-play's for anyone that might be interested. I'm just crimping them at the moment but plan to solder them as soon as i get the stuff to do it with. I wanna have them in a loom that looks nice and have the ends numbered for their respective cyls. I think this would be a plus for most.
I probably will want a set of these for Redbone but I have a few other mods I want to get out of the way first. How much are you charging for a set of these? I see where somebody has posted to carry a extra couple with you for just in case, is that really needed? Thanks!

I did the COP install and just fired it up for the first time last weekend. The install was really straightforward with the harness I got and only took about 1.5hrs to complete. I will say that the bike seemed to start easier and needed less choke and for less time, 45 seconds max until I could go completely off the choke and it purred along at 1k rpm. As for carrying spares, might not be a bad idea to have one or two around just in case, but COPs seem to be really reliable just like to stock style.

for what its worth i believe the coils for the 03-04 r6 are safe if they are denso. the problem childs were the mitsubishi coil packs. the densos were what fixed the problem

i AM GOING TO GO WITH hAYABUSA COILS, but can't find out where to get the harness, or adapters or wahtever it is... also just use the old ones off of the vmax for that end of it?

i AM GOING TO GO WITH hAYABUSA COILS, but can't find out where to get the harness, or adapters or wahtever it is... also just use the old ones off of the vmax for that end of it?

You can use the ends from your original coil connectors but the ones on the COPS are different obviously---I will ask Jon which ones there are and get back to you.

You could cut off the connectors from the coils, and wire them in, or simply hard wire the cops into the bike wiring. Trust me, you're never going back to coils once you upgrade to cops..

I talked to Jon today and he said the connectors are furukawa. He orders them from Japan in bulk.He also said if you are just needing 4 you will be able to find them on Ebay on either a Ford Mustang or any late model Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki Gsxr harness.
He also said that as long as your Hayabusa coils end in 4400 they will work fine.

I talked to Jon today and he said the connectors are furukawa. He orders them from Japan in bulk.He also said if you are just needing 4 you will be able to find them on Ebay on either a Ford Mustang or any late model Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki Gsxr harness.
He also said that as long as your Hayabusa coils end in 4400 they will work fine.

cool thank you! does anyone else know about this must be 4400 to work? or what other ones should i look out for?
i could buy a used set for 50 bucks, from gsxr 750 or so.. many pre owned sets have been tested, which i guess that's good, but not by me, as if i know how to test one anyways..

or just buy new for 100 bucks? i mean really, 50-80 for used i'd just get new. plus i'm upgrading to COPS, new stator, R/R gotta order, need gasket, big battery mod... am i missing anything?

so about these Coil pack model numbers.....

cool thank you! does anyone else know about this must be 4400 to work? or what other ones should i look out for?
i could buy a used set for 50 bucks, from gsxr 750 or so.. many pre owned sets have been tested, which i guess that's good, but not by me, as if i know how to test one anyways..

or just buy new for 100 bucks? i mean really, 50-80 for used i'd just get new. plus i'm upgrading to COPS, new stator, R/R gotta order, need gasket, big battery mod... am i missing anything?

like is this wrong? is it a fit thing?

someone shoujld make a complete list of OEM part number coils that will work for Vmax from different bikes... i.e. 05-07 gsxr's work or wahtever.

like is this wrong? is it a fit thing?

someone shoujld make a complete list of OEM part number coils that will work for Vmax from different bikes... i.e. 05-07 gsxr's work or wahtever.

only cuz blax mentioned has to be -4400 in part no..

one pasted above aren't.. so why wont work? fit? connection to plugs we use? etc? i dunno..

Scroll back to page #22 for the list of year models and make.:clapping:

Denso 129700-4400,4800,4840,5100,4510.

Latest posts

Back